Behind the Sea

eight

I went against all my standards and my morals as I found myself on the beach the day after I had left Alex standing in the burning summer sun - the sun that was not going to warm the ground for much longer.

I did my usual routine and spread my towel out on the ground before peeling my sundress off and letting myself fall onto the towel in my Matthew Williamson bikini, closing my eyes behind my sunglasses. I was hoping and praying to God that Alex might turn up with his usual smile on his face and his good humour in trail.

But of course it didn't happen.

I sighed and for the first time in weeks let my old revelation enter my head.

I was here alone; I was most certainly going to die alone now.

There are certain things that I cannot stand about my self and I guess my dreadful sense of melodramatics and overreacting was that part of me which I preferred to ignore, no matter how many times that particular side made an appearance.

Today everything seemed menacing. Everything about today was centred around the heat. The heat was stronger than ever, it oppressively crept up the beach, drowning everyone in their own sweat. The sand was baking in the harsh rays, causing beach visitors to burn the souls of their feet. There was not even a cool breeze, just a burning rush of hot wind that hit you in the stomach with a brute force.The tarmac on the roads had softened and was glittering like a black jewel.

I was under the impression that everybody was out to get me, and this was confirmed when I felt the presence of someone lean over me. My eyes snapped open, already assuming that the person was going to be Alex.

However I was severely disappointed and slightly upset when my eyes fell on a person that was definitely not Alex.

The person who had been leaning over me suddenly sprung back when they realized that I had my eyes open.

"Sorry I didn't realize you were awake!" The boy said holding his hands out in front of him in apology. I just hoisted myself up from my lying position and studied the boy through my sunglasses.

The boy was fairly tall and well built. He had sandy blonde hair that did his cheekbones the right justice, as well as this he had a set of piercing eyes that were at present fixed upon in a half accusatory way and comprehension. He was dressed in entirely the wrong attire for the beach. His long lean legs were shrouded in skinny jeans and the fancy Nike trainers were covered in sand. Even from where I was sat I could see a thin line of sweat on his forehead.

"You're Katlin aren't you?" The boy asked, shocking me to no end that he knew my name. The boy must have registered the shock on my face because he went on to explain at once.

"It's just Alex told me all about a Katlin that he had met at the beach and stuff so I can only assume you are Katlin because he said you came down here everyday and you're the prettiest girl here so that's how come I know your name."

The speed and honesty that the explanation was delivered in left me speechless and blinking for a few seconds.

"And you are?" I asked wearily.

"Zack. Zack Merrik," he said and held out his hand for me to shake.

The formalities over and done with Zack let himself fall to the ground next to me. He crossed his legs and shot me the same look that he had on his face when he first saw me.

"Not to be rude or anything but why are you here? I've never met you before," I said to Zack, anxious about where this whole conversation was going.

"It's because of Alex," Zack said with refreshing frankness, and not beating about the bush.

However the fact that he was on a mission of Alex's left me even more worried.

"He doesn't know I'm here otherwise he would have probably attempted murder or something," Zack said with a soft laugh looking out over the turquoise ocean. He turned his head back to me and shot me a smile.

"You know that the entire time Alex has known you he's smiled more than he has on tour? None of us have seen him so happy."

A dry and vicious lump had formed at the back of my throat, knowing that ever since yesterday Alex probably didn't have anything to smile about.

"Yesterday was…" I began to start but Zack cut across me.

"You don't need to explain Katlin, I just wanted you to know that Alex really likes you and since yesterday it's like he's a different guy. I don't know you at all but just a word of advice; you should do what your heart says and not your head."

With that Zack heaved himself of the ground, brushed the sand from his skinny jeans and looked down at me.

"If you do change your mind, meet him by the pier in two days. As cliche as it sounds," Zack said with a laugh. "Alex has always been a sucker for that kind of thing. I guess he's hoping for the best."

I just stared up at Zack with wide eyes not knowing what to say at all. Words failed me and I was only able to produce a nod of the head.

"Hopefully I'll see you soon Katlin," Zack said with a small smile and with a jump to his step he started off up the beach to head back to the main part of town, leaving me in the angry heat with my thoughts and dilemmas to keep me company.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gosh this was painful to write.. Thanks to Nat for proof reading.
This is over in two parts. Thank god. Can't stand the sight of this story anymore.
Feedback if you want it really doesn't matter anymore.
Kisses