‹ Prequel: Howling at the Sun

Burning the Dragons

The month they marched

“You should have stayed at Winterfell,” Eddard grumbled for what seemed like the millionth time to Tabitha at the inn in Darry. The soldiers, from the North, the Vale, and the Tully army, were making camp outside and keeping watch, but section leaders and the lords were having a hearty dinner at the largest inn the town had to offer.

“And you know that I’m not missing our revenge for the world,” Tabitha replied as she balanced a daughter to her breast and took another spoonful of soup. “So I think that you should quit your complaining, because you know that I am strong enough to do this.” Eddard smiled and then glanced up to see Oberyn returning to their table.

“Sarella has finally gone to sleep,” he groaned with fatigue as he sat next to his wife, shovelling as much food into his mouth from his plate at possible, even though it was almost cold. “How is Obella?”

“Almost ready,” Tabitha said sweetly in response, impressed and glad that after a month her husband was still insisting that he helped out instead of hiring another maiden to take his place. Oberyn did the best he could to aid Tabitha’s recovery, including mixing his own potions for her and hushing their daughters in the middle of the night. Obella stopped feeding and Tabitha handed her off to Oberyn, who filled his mouth with stew one last time before heading upstairs to put the baby to bed.

“I was thinking about Petyr,” Eddard began and Tabitha immediately tensed. She knew that her brother was going to bring up the topic again, now that they were alone, but it pained her every time Petyr was mentioned. He was the one who brought the Targaryen soldiers to attack Winterfell, he was the one who kidnapped Catelyn and reportedly took her back to King’s Landing, and he was the one who had almost made her lose her two daughters. Tabitha couldn’t wait to watch Eddard exact revenge on him, as well as Rhaegar.

“Ned, you know that it’s going to be fine, we will get her back,” she said gently as she reached out to comfortingly grip his hand.

“I just don’t understand his motive to hurt you,” he sighed as he poked aimlessly at his bowl of soup.

“We’ve been over this-”

“Do you really think he is that loyal to Rhaegar?”

“I think he is a madman who is obsessed with Catelyn, and that’s all that we need to know right now. We will deal with it when we siege King’s Landing,” Tabitha attempted to reassure him but could tell by the stress written across his face that she wasn’t doing much good.

“We received word today that the remainder of the Lannister army has arrived in King’s Landing. They are as fortified as they can possibly be now,” Eddard said, not bothering to hide his disappointment. “They have more troops than what we were counting on. Mustering in the westernlands was more efficient than we predicted.”

“But they don’t have many supplies. Even if we trap them in their castle, they will give up because every soldier will be starving,” Tabitha countered to boost her brother’s spirit. “We are going to win.” She gave a smile but the one Eddard forced in return showed his hesitation. The last time he marched to defy the Targaryens, he had lost.

“And to further add to our advantage, look at what I just received,” Oberyn announced as he returned to the table, a scroll in hand from a raven. He handed it across to Eddard but turned to Tabitha to tell her as he knew that Eddard would not share the parchment because Tabitha was a woman, not a commander. “My army has arrived at Bitterbridge. They expect to be at King’s Landing when we are.”

“That’s great news,” Tabitha addressed him before turning to Eddard again. “See? We can do this.” He didn’t acknowledge his sister, instead keeping his saddened eyes focused on the hastily scribbled words. Tabitha’s face fell and Oberyn reached out to hold her hand.

“Eddard, I know it might not be my place to say this, but we will get the justice that we and our loved ones deserve,” Oberyn began, his voice strong yet showing a touch of uncertainty as to whether or not Eddard would appreciate or listen to his words. “We will burn the mad Targaryen house to the ground for their crimes. Only happiness can come from that.”

“I just don’t know if killing them all is the best solution,” Eddard mumbled.

“How else would we punish them? Anything less would be too kind for what they have done to us!” Oberyn retorted, the flames of anger from his sister’s death showing. Eddard simply sighed and stood from the table, bidding the couple goodnight as he retreated to his room, lost in thoughts about his sister and Rhaegar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again Kayleigh for commenting, you know you rock :) Has anyone gained any theories from reading this chapter?