‹ Prequel: Howling at the Sun

Burning the Dragons

The month he found his revenge

King’s Landing surprisingly fell after a few weeks. A Lannister commander made a crucial mistake and an opening was left for a Dornish group to rush in. With their unique weapons and fighting style, they were able to defend the gap as Stark and Tully reinforcements hurried to their aid. A few days later and the city was taken, leaving just the Red Keep untouched. The Kingsguards were slain by Oberyn and Eddard, and the final door was opened to reveal Rhaegar standing tall with his Valyrian sword by his side. Viserys sat on a blood red couch, arms wrapped around Daenerys as she weeped from hearing her guards being slaughtered.

“Well, here we are,” Rhaegar said as he instinctively tightened his grip on his weapon. Eddard and Oberyn’s hearts pounded furiously in their chests from anticipation of finally being in a position to exact their revenge. “Will we settle this like men? A one on one contest? Or are you both going to slaughter me like a pig?” Oberyn narrowed his eyes, full of rage, while Eddard’s cold face remained blank.

“Maybe I’ll burn you like you burned my sister!” Oberyn spat and Rhaegar began cackling in a way that resembled his father. Outraged by Rhaegar’s disrespect for his beloved sister, Oberyn lurched forwards, only to have the blade of his spear deflected by Rhaegar’s sword. Instead of attempting to strike Oberyn’s exposed back, Rhaegar was forced to spin and defend against an attack coming from Ice, Eddard’s formidable sword. The two took turns at attacking Rhaegar, but were only deflected, proof as to why the king was able to defeat Robert Baratheon. Back and forth the three went, trading a magnificent display of attacks and defences in front of the other two Targaryens who watched on with wide lilac eyes as they prayed for their brother’s victory. Spotting Rhaegar tiring, Viserys slowly stood and unsheathed the dagger at his hip.

“No,” Daenerys hissed, grabbing her big brother’s wrist. “Let the gods decide. Let this be fair.” Viserys slid from her grip and stalked around the fighters, eyeing Oberyn who was considerably less armoured than Eddard. Rhaegar kicked Oberyn’s gut in hope of giving himself a chance to recover and Oberyn stumbled backwards, only to be tackled through the open door by Viserys as Eddard and Rhaegar continued to duel. Oberyn cried out as he crashed onto the stone floor and Viserys struggled to shift on top to have leverage, smirking when his blade rested against Oberyn’s throat. The spear was out of Oberyn’s reach and the fear was obvious in his dark eyes, which only spurred on Viserys’ thrill.

“Release him,” a woman ordered and Viserys looked up, keeping his hand steady. Tabitha stood close to them, now holding Oberyn’s spear and proving that she was prepared to use it on Viserys.

“Why would I do that?” Viserys questioned arrogantly, well aware that he had the upper hand. His siblings would be proud if he were able to so easily defeat the Dornish prince.

“Don’t you know what Oberyn’s alias is?” Tabitha asked, not expecting an answer. “The Red Viper. Do you know why? It’s because he knows his poisons very well. He never goes into battle without coating his spear’s tip in something deadly.” Viserys visibly gulped as his eyes focused on the shining blade that Tabitha had aimed at him.

“You’re bluffing. He wouldn’t coat it in close quarters, in case he struck a friendly soldier,” Viserys countered and Oberyn grinned. He could see the hesitation flooding Viserys and he felt as though his life was no longer threatened by the hasty dragon.

“Do you really want to take that risk?” Tabitha retorted. She was doing her best to keep her voice confident, but inside she was beginning to crumble from the sight of the sharp blade against Oberyn’s throat. “If you kill him, I’ll cut you and you’ll be poisoned and die. Or you can let him go and live. It’s your choice.” Shortly after presenting the ultimatum, Tabitha was able to relax. Viserys reluctantly removed his dagger and slowly stood, allowing Oberyn to leap to his feet and take his spear back. Feeling exhilarated from the fight and near death experience, Oberyn swooped Tabitha into a forceful kiss before releasing her and focusing on Viserys who was sinking to the floor in defeat with his back against the wall.

“Why are you here, my wolf?”

“Because one of your commanders came to me, unable to locate you. He found someone important in the dungeons when he searched them,” Tabitha replied, earning a puzzled expression from her husband.

“Oberyn,” a voice weakly called for him, and he spun at the familiarity. Held in the arms of the Dornish commander was Elia, dirtied and in tattered clothes, underfed and skin tainted with green, but alive. A wave of disbelief washed over Oberyn before he ran to her.

“Elia… Oh, Elia…” he wept as he gently cradled her face, afraid that his touch might break her fragile form. “What did he do to you?” Elia’s joy fleeted and her eyes fell, unable to look at her brother as she replied.

“He beat me. He raped me. He murdered my children.” Upon hearing those words, Oberyn spun around and sped towards Viserys, effortlessly slicing him with his spear. Viserys cried out, clutching his wound as he frantically contemplated which poison was seeping into his blood. Soldiers hurried after Oberyn, cornering Viserys and attempting to stop Tabitha as she rushed after her dangerous husband. Oberyn stormed past Eddard, barely noticing him, and came to a stop before Daenerys, only to cut her arm with his spear too.

“Oberyn, stop this!” Tabitha cried, but his anger blocked him from hearing her. He finally noticed Eddard, seeing how tall he was standing as he pointed Ice down to Rhaegar’s throat. With a cry of rage, Oberyn split Rhaegar’s cheek, taking every single shred of willpower he had to not send the spear through Rhaegar’s head instead.

“That’s enough!” Eddard’s voice boomed as he glared at Oberyn who was heaving, fists clenched as he stared with disgust and fury at Rhaegar. “They are not going to be killed. We will put them on trial, and they will be punished by the gods. Otherwise how are we any better than them?” Oberyn dropped his spear in acknowledgement before locking eyes with Eddard, the corners of his lips curling up because he already had what he wanted.

“Do what you want with them. They are dead to me anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd love to read some comments on what you thought about this intense chapter!