‹ Prequel: Howling at the Sun

Burning the Dragons

The month Ellaria stayed

“I really loved how the snake danced for him,” Tabitha cooed as Ellaria plucked another grape from the bunch. They were sprawled out on the bed together, propped up on orange pillows, and indulging in fruits and cheeses as they relaxed from their day out in the hot sun. Despite having recently received news from the capital that winter had officially begun, it was almost as if it didn’t exist in Dorne.

“It was beautiful. He was very good at playing songs too,” Ellaria added before placing the grape between Tabitha’s lips. Having gained much confidence over the past couple of weeks, Tabitha ran her lips and tongue across Ellaria’s fingers before pulling away and eating the grape, her eye contact not wavering. Ellaria giggled and Tabitha leaned in for a kiss, both of the women ignoring the door that opened.

“Ladies, a moment please,” Oberyn called out as he crossed the room. He appeared unfazed by the events conspiring in his chambers, but his smile faltered slightly when he saw the lingering look Tabitha had in her eyes when the two broke apart.

“Good news, my sun?” Tabitha asked as he took a seat on the edge of the bed.

“Yes. We will be setting sail in a couple of days, heading for White Harbour, as Eddard has begun to quietly purge Targaryen soldiers from the North. We will head to Winterfell and finalise plans. Then the Dornish and the Northerners will march on King’s Landing and crush the Targaryens,” Oberyn explained, eyes alive with a thirst for the fight.

“You are still wanting to take me with you? Should I not remain in Sunspear, where I am safe?” Tabitha wondered.

“It is bad luck to sail while with child,” Ellaria warned as she placed a comforting hand on Tabitha’s. Oberyn shook his head, dismissing their concerns.

“There is no true risk,” he said calmly to his wife. “Besides, wouldn’t you like to see your brother?” Tabitha’s creased forehead immediately relaxed and the corners of her lips turned upwards.

“Yes, of course,” she agreed. “How long will it take?”

“I have been told three months, as we will be stopping in Essos.”

“Then I will be…” Tabitha trailed off as she rested a hand on her stomach.

“I have already sent a raven to your brother asking him to prepare Winterfell for a new baby. I’m sure he will have the best people ready when you arrive,” Oberyn comforted her, his words easing his nerves as well.

“And Ellaria- she will come too?” Tabitha asked and Oberyn hesitated as he glanced across at his wife’s companion. It had not escaped his notice how much quality time they had been spending together, and how much less time Tabitha had been spending with him whenever he was available.

“Yes, she would have to,” he agreed in a quieter tone, not wanting to upset his wife.

“Have you ever seen snow before?” Tabitha asked Ellaria, who shook her head. “You’ll love it! It will be so cold, but it’s so beautiful! The lands around Winterfell are stunning when the snow falls!”

“Winter will be a good time to visit then,” Oberyn interrupted, his face falling from disappointment that Tabitha was not sharing her excitement with him.

“You can go looking for redheads,” Tabitha pointed out, a cheeky smirk on her face. Oberyn’s spirits raised at the memory of one of their first conversations together.

“You know that I have one right here, and that I am very happy with her,” he remarked before pressing his lips forcefully against hers. The touch of her husband overwhelmed Tabitha and she became lost in his kiss and touch as he climbed on top of her. His urgency was obvious, though she didn’t realise that he was simply striving for her attention and affection. Ellaria smiled to herself, glad to see that their relationship was still strong, and she lifted the tray of food from the bed.

“I will return later,” she said quietly as she headed for the door, setting the tray down on a table on her way. Tabitha tore herself away from Oberyn’s passionate kisses.

“No!” she called out and Oberyn frowned with confusion. “Ellaria, stay.” Much to both Ellaria and Oberyn’s surprise and delight, Tabitha didn’t change her mind and allowed her mistress to crawl beneath the sheets.
♠ ♠ ♠
Any thoughts on what's happened so far, and what might come in the following months?

Sorry for the delayed update - both NaNo and life got in the way.