‹ Prequel: Howling at the Sun

Burning the Dragons

The month he agreed to be honest

“This really isn’t funny,” Tabitha sighed as she continued to struggle to dismount her horse. Oberyn was grinning as he attempted to help position her, her stomach bulging from the baby growing within and making it a difficult task to lift her leg safely over the horse. Finally back on land, Tabitha had felt queasy all day long, but was eager to head to Winterfell and had insisted on leaving White Harbour as soon as possible.

“How did you get on the horse?” Oberyn exclaimed as Tabitha rubbed her tender back.

“I don’t know,” she grumbled as her husband gently shifted her leg a little.

“Try to push up on the count of three. One, two, three!” Oberyn guided her vocally and physically, and despite Tabitha’s reluctance due to exhaustion, she still finally gained enough height to slide her leg over the horse’s back. She awkwardly stumbled off the horse and into Oberyn’s arms where she could finally relax.

“I don’t know how I will get to Winterfell. My belly is heavier than I thought,” she admitted into his shoulder as they embraced each other.

“Let’s worry about that tomorrow. For now we should go inside and eat a hot meal,” Oberyn suggested, letting go of Tabitha to enter the inn. They were following a frequented track alongside the White Knife river that would take them directly to Winterfell, and inns were placed conveniently along the route for the traders who used it. Tonight, the inn was full of Dornish soldiers who were getting as close to the fire as possible while discussing how cold the winter snow outside was. Tabitha took a seat in a quiet corner, fine with being away from a fire so she could have a quieter space. Oberyn sat opposite her, rubbing his hands up and down his arms to warm himself up.

“I told you that you would freeze if you came to the North,” Tabitha remarked with a grin even though her weary eyes were half closed.

“Well you didn’t faint under Dorne’s sun, so I think I’ll be fine,” he countered with a smile, but it quickly faded and he reached across the table to take her hand in his. “I want us to go back to those times in King’s Landing, my wolf. I want this tension between us gone.”

“As do I, but I can never go back to then, when everything was wonderful, new and exciting between us. Now I know your secrets, and you’re not as perfect as I once thought. Perhaps you simply seduced me, and I was blind to the fact that I barely knew you,” Tabitha replied, finally getting the words off her chest that had been swirling in her mind during their voyage on the sea. Oberyn frowned, remaining silent as he pondered what he should say that would help the situation instead of worsening it like he seemed to be doing ever since they were wed.

“Do you regret marrying me?” he eventually asked.

“Of course not,” Tabitha answered immediately before giving his hand a squeeze. “I want us to be honest from now on. I think that if we do that, we will be able to be as strong as we were before.” Oberyn’s face broke into a relieved smile.

“Yes, of course. Anything you ask,” he nodded. They gazed into each other’s eyes until plates of food arrived for them. After filling up on a classic Northern stew, they retired to their room, the best the inn had to offer. As Oberyn finished bathing, Tabitha stood by a window and stared at the snow that was falling and creating an even thicker layer next to the flowing river. It was a sight she had thought she was never going to see again, yet here she was, on her way to Winterfell and Eddard.

“Will we leave at sunrise tomorrow?” Tabitha wondered as Oberyn noisily stepped out of his bath.

“We will leave when the men are ready,” he replied and Tabitha lowered her head, understanding but just wanting to be with he brother again. “Can I ask you something?” She turned and began walking to their bed as he towelled himself dry.

“Of course.”

“Is it good to be home? Does it even feel like home anymore?” Oberyn posed as Tabitha slowly sat on the edge of the bed.

“Yes… Well, so far it is nice…” she trailed off before raising her eyebrows as she puzzled over his bizarre question. “Why?” Oberyn slipped into a clean set of undergarments before joining her under the blankets, far heavier and warmer than any he had been under before.

“When I travelled, both in Westeros and Essos, home started to have a different meaning, that’s all,” he stated, more to himself as he thought over the concept.

“I believe that my home will be with you now, and our child,” Tabitha said to break the silence, her words followed by a kiss.

“You are very sweet,” Oberyn mumbled into her neck before gently nudging her onto her side and massaging her aching back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Kayleigh for her comment - kind of addressing that in this chapter, so I hope you enjoyed reading :) Guess who makes his return in the next chapter?