‹ Prequel: Howling at the Sun

Burning the Dragons

The month she returned home

Tabitha walked through Winterfell’s muddy courtyard, smiling at the commoners who were whispering and staring at her with excited expressions. With Oberyn at her side and the Dornish soldiers marching behind her, Tabitha felt stronger than she ever had at Winterfell. They had sent word a few days earlier that they did not want an official greeting and would simply meet indoors, which was partly due to Tabitha’s increasing embarrassment when it came to her horse, and now Tabitha was proudly showing her husband into the main hall of her home. Once the humungous wooden doors parted, Tabitha spotted her brother awaiting her arrival by the fire. A toothy grin broke through his beard and he hurried over to her.

“Ned,” she breathed as she was swept into his bulky arms, a comfort she had truly missed since he had left her before Rhaegar. A kiss was placed on her cheek as Eddard pulled away, taking a moment to take in her new form.

“My, look at you, dear sister. Perhaps you have twins!” he exclaimed, only to receive a look of terror from Tabitha.

“Don’t say that,” she said sternly, hoping that it wasn’t the case. As if giving birth wasn’t a difficult task already, the chances of survival were even lower for those women who carried multiple babies. Just the thought of the impending task was frightening Tabitha.

“Either way, you will be just fine. I have the best people in all the North ready to aid you,” Eddard reassured her, and once he received a calmer smile from Tabitha, he turned his attention to Oberyn and extended his hand. “It’s good to finally meet you.” They shared a firm handshake, neither allowing his strong gaze or grip to falter.

“As it is you,” Oberyn agreed.

“I have to admit, I was shocked to hear of the change of wedding plans. I did not know how Tabitha would cope living so far south,” Eddard began and Tabitha’s nerves fluttered, hoping that he wasn’t about to be overly protective about her. “But I hear that you are treating her well, and that she loves you. That and her return to Winterfell is all that I could have ever hoped for.” Tabitha relaxed into a smile and tension disappeared from Oberyn’s shoulders.

“Where are your boys?” Tabitha asked.

“Napping,” Eddard smiled before turning to reveal Catelyn by the fire, a bundle of blankets in her arms. “But there’s someone else you need to meet.”

“Another?” Tabitha breathed and they walked over to Catelyn. The two women shared a smile that served as a greeting and Tabitha took a seat, eagerly leaning to try to peek at the baby.

“This is Sansa,” Catelyn said in a hushed voice as she carefully passed the bundle across to Tabitha. Eddard placed a loving hand on Catelyn’s shoulder and Oberyn leaned over Tabitha’s to look as well. With skin almost as white as the snow outside and red hair as bright as Tabitha’s, Sansa was already a beautiful girl. Tabitha remained lost in the moment, silent as she stared at the peacefully sleeping child. It was surreal, yet she acknowledged that one day soon she would be holding her own baby; Oberyn’s child, a product of their love. Also lost in the moment, Oberyn placed a hand on Tabitha’s shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze.

“I should begin discussing battle plans with the Northern lords. Oberyn, if you would join me to contribute Dorne’s perspective,” Eddard said, interrupting the moment and causing Oberyn’s face to fall at the thought of the awful war they were about to bring upon themselves and their people.

“Yes, of course,” he replied with a short nod before bending over to peck Tabitha’s cheek. “Will you join us later?”

“No need,” Eddard answered before Tabitha could speak. “She can remain here with Catelyn, and see my sons when they wake.” Oberyn’s brow furrowed and his body tensed.

“In Dorne, Tabitha has contributed greatly to our plans. I don’t see why she couldn’t do the same here,” Oberyn reasoned but Tabitha shook her head.

“My sun, just go. I am happy to stay here with Catelyn and Sansa,” Tabitha said softly. “You know that it’s different here in the North.” Though Oberyn’s frown gave away his disappointment, he nodded and accepted that Tabitha wouldn’t be treated as his equal here, even though that was how he viewed her. After sharing one last smile at each other, Oberyn left with Eddard and Tabitha became lost in conversation about babies with Catelyn.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm losing my muse and readers. Is anyone at all interested in more chapters and/or a sequel for this? And of course, any thoughts on this chapter?