Lips of Deceit

It's Up To You

Kayla;

Brian and I walked in silence to the beach down the road from Matt's house. We found our usual spot, in between the two biggest rocks on the sand and sat down on our jackets. I shuffled closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"What did I do to complicate things so much, Bri? Why is it never simple where I'm concerned?"

Brian sighed and squeezed my shoulder lightly in comfort, just like old times, when Matt and I would argue. Just those silly disagreements, when we both had to have some space to cool off. Though we were never officially a couple, we acted like it, even having the fights couples' had.

"You didn't do anything, sweetie. You're not capable of doing anything remotely bad. Don't blame your self for Matt's mess."

"But it's because of me he broke up with Sarah, because I came back. Maybe it's better if I just go back to - "

"Don't you dare finish that sentence with his name." Brian tried to hold in his temper and the near-mention of Jayke. I saw the rage in my best friend's eyes and decided not to push the topic. Instead, I shuffled closer to Brian on my coat and listened to his steady breathing.

"Thank you, Syn."

"For what, honey?" Brian looked downwards, though I couldn't see him from where I was sat, I felt him shift slightly.

"For everything; for being there even when I never kept in touch, when I was a bitch and didn't listen to anyone warning me when.. just, thank you." I couldn't even be bothered listing everything I had done wrong in the two years I'd ditched my best friends for the man I thought loved me.

We stayed silent for a while longer, then something occurred to me.

"Brian, what do I do about Matt?"

He sighed. I did too. Neither of us had any idea about what to do with my situation with Matthew Sanders. This wasn't going to be easy.

"It's up to you, Kay, no one can tell you what to do about Matt. If you love him, fair enough, it's your choice if you decide to get together. But face it, we all know he loves you, he has for years, Sarah was just to replace you, and even she knew that. If you'd stayed with us and not.. gone... then you know for sure you and Matt would be together, if not married by now."

I laughed at the talk of marriage. Matt and I discussed it so much when we were younger. We agreed on a pact, that if neither of us were married by thirty, we'd marry each other. It sounded so stupid back then, but it meant a lot to the both of us. We were in love, just not an official couple. Label's weren't a necessity for us. We were happy.

"Anyway honey, it's your choice. No one's forcing you into any relationship with anyone, unless you want to run away, get married and have those seventeen kids we talked about?" Brian wiggled his eyebrows at me, once again making me laugh. It was then I'd realized how much I'd missed my friends.
Brian stood up from his place on the sand and reached out for me to grab his hand. We walked back up the length of the beach towards the main road. It took us less time to walk back to Matt's house than getting to the beach, possibly because I made Brian skip with me part of the way, and received funny looks from some of the local kids wandering home.
We got to Matt's street and my legs began to ache at the sight of the fairly big hill in front of us. I stopped suddenly, causing Brian to look back over his shoulder at me as if I had gone insane.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing, I just can't be bothered walking up the hill," I replied stubbornly. I pouted and folded my arms across my torso. Brian came back and stood in front of me, facing the same direction as me.

"Jump." he said, simply. I placed my hands on his shoulders and jumped up onto his back, just like we used to do on the way home from high school and I was too lazy to walk up the hill myself. Brian ran the entire way up the slope to Matt's house, not slowing down until we reached the top. It didn't take us long to reach Matt's and I was happy to see the large house, but not so ecstatic after seeing the familiar car parked outside.
I jumped down from Brian's back and stood still. My legs refused to move. Brian turned back to face me once again with a questioning look on his face, just as a man climbed out of the parked car.

"Kayla! Get your dumb ass in this car now, you stupid bitch!"

Brian turned round just as the tears that had been building in my eyes cascaded down my face. I closed my eyes and shook my head, trying to get the advancing figure out of my sight. It didn't work. He was meters away. I finally regained the ability to speak and uttered the name,

"Jayke."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is long awaited.
Took me ages to write.
It's shit though :/
Comment (Y)
x