Status: New Chapter after the short hiatus of a whole year, yikes.

Bam's Mistake

Chapter 2

Bam laid in bed tossing and turning all night. He couldn't sleep, hell, he couldn't even close his eyes without seeing the hurt crossing over Bird's face. He wanted nothing more than to call her and know she was okay. Bam also needed to know if she was ever going to come back. What if she didn't? That thought brought a wave of panic over Bam. Bam didn't spend over a year breaking down Bird's walls just to break her. That was never his intention. He always tried his hardest to cater to her heart. This was only a stumble. He could still come back from this ... right?

Bam sat up and let all of the air flutter out of his lungs. Bam finally gave up on sleeping. He threw off the covers and walked out of his room; squinting to see through the darkness. He walked into the bathroom closest to his bedroom without even really thinking about it. Flicking on the light, he sauntered over to the toilet. He leaned his forearm on the wall behind the toilet as he went to the bathroom. Bam let out a choked cough as he finished up and tucked himself back into his sweatpants. Bam walked out of the bathroom and turned off the light out of habit. Bird always complained when he left the light on. Bam walked down the steps and grabbed a beer out of the fridge. He popped it open as he walked over and sat on the couch.

Bam flicked on the TV and chose an old Pimp My Ride episode to watch while he wallowed in pity. Bam nursed his beer with sadness seeping out of Bam with every mannerism. Bam looked over at the wall only to be faced with a picture of Bird and Bam. It was a picture his mom took from the kitchen window while the couple was visiting Ape and Phil after they had been in Miami for the filming of Jackass. He turned away with a tight face, but it was too late. He was already thinking about her, and that beautiful day.

FLASHBACK.

“Bam!” Bird yelled from outside.

Bam was sitting on the couch at the time and jumped at the sound of her voice. In less than a second Bam was running outside. He thought something bad had happened but instead he discovered Bird playing in the newly fallen leaves.

“Are you kidding me? You scared the shit out of me,” Bam said slipping his shoes on. He had taken them off on the porch after a barbecue lunch.

“Sorry, well, not really, but I wanted you to play in the leaves with me,” Bird said smiling. Bam tried not to smile but he couldn't fight it – she was much too cute.

Bam walked down the few steps of the porch and joined Bird on the ground. Bird had already made a big pile. Bird held out her hand for Bam to take and he instantly knew where this was going. Bam shook his head but took her hand. She swung their arms back and forth as a way to count to three. After that the duo jumped into the leaves together. As they were sat on the ground both laughing uncontrollably, the leaves few into the air and fluttered down all around them.

A flash went off from inside the house.

PRESENT.

Bam smiled at the memory until the dark thoughts returned. What if he didn't get any more memories like that? What if Bird didn't want to do things like this anymore? Bam felt as though a fist was gripping his heart and squeezing the life out of him. Bam clicked a random button on the TV remote to check the time on the TV. It was four thirty in the morning. Nothing he could think of could seemingly justify calling her at this time. Who's to say if she would even answer? Maybe she was sleeping like a rock.

BIRD.

Bird woke up every hour for the entire night. She woke up, tossed and turned for half an hour, then fell asleep for no more then twenty minutes. It was a viscous cycle and it was beginning to take a toll on her. At seven in the morning she gave up and kicked off the blankets for the last time. Bird walked down the hallway and into the living room to watch some television. Anything to get her mind off of the situation, if only for a moment. Bird flipped to a random cartoon show and watched the characters interact with each other.

Bird was now in Brandon Dicamillo's house. Yesterday Ryan explained that it would probably be best assuming there was a huge mess and that Bam had cheated on her, in that house. Bird hadn't even thought about that when she asked to spend the night at Ryan's. She was grateful he did though, otherwise it ay have dawned on her at two in the morning causing her to start crying again. Bird sighed while she leaned into the comfy brown couch. She wanted her own couch, with her own TV, with the remote she knew how to use. This one looked like it belonged in a space shuttle controlling various gadgets on a space mission.

She knew she'd have to go home at some point today. She just didn't plan on going yet. Bird heard a few crashes and some stumbling. Bird looked over her shoulder to see Dico stumbling his way out of his bedroom. Dico walked down the hall and jumped the back of the couch to join Bird in watching some TV. They sat quietly watching some boring old cartoon. Bird yawned and rested her head on Dico's shoulder. She was waiting for Dico to say some sort of I told you so.

Years ago, Bird met Dico in the park. They became fast friends. When Dico brought her to a big bonfire that Bam was hosting she met all of his friends, including Bam. Bam had instantly taken a shining to her. Dico had tried to put space between Bird and Bam but the fire grew to hot. And Bam got what he wanted. He had surprised Dico when he treated Bird so well. Didn't push her on the first date, took her to a nice restaurant, opened doors. Dico sat on Bird's bed while she gushed and gushed about how perfect she thought Bam was.

Bird thought about how they met for the longest time. She knew they could fix this. They had to. It would take lots of time, and lots of effort. But Bam and Bird could be happy once more, she just knew it.

DICO.

Dico was having a hard time coming to terms with everything. First of all, he should be comforting Bird, because he introduced her to Bam in the first place. That makes him guilty by association, right? He wasn't sure how this worked. But Bam was his friend, they were both his friend. He honestly just wanted this problem to go away. When he walked in on Bam the night before he knew that hearts would be broken. Dico looked down at the girl on his shoulder.

“So, what's the game plan? Are you going to stay with Bam?” Dico asked suddenly making Bird click her tongue.

“We have to at least try to work on things,” Bird said. “I can't give up everything we've had – everything we've been through – for one mistake.” Bird sighed. “I love him, and I know he loves me.”

Dico felt selfish. He kind of wanted her to say no. He wanted her to say no so that way Dico could be her hero and fix her broken heart. But that wasn't ever going to happen. She would spend the rest of her life with Bam who will probably treat her well. He always did, that's why his infidelity was so shocking to Dico. Dico should have made a move on her when he wanted to, before Bam could steal her.

BIRD.

It was time to go home. Bird had watched three hours of TV but she couldn't tell you about one thing she watched. It was all there to numb her senses until she went home to a complete mess of emotions. Dico drove her home and said a quiet goodbye and good luck when she got out of the car. Bird walked into the house. She could hear light snores coming from the living room. She sighed when she saw Bam in an uncomfortable position on the couch. He hadn't waited up for her in hopes she would come home, had he? Bird walked over to him and gently shook his shoulder. He jumped slightly and had a very confused, tired look in his eye.

“Baby...” Bam whispered holding out his hands. Bird sighed and gave him a hug; she could feel his muscles relax at her touch. “I didn't know if you'd come back.”

“I told you I would,” Bird said pulling Bam off the couch. She bean to slowly tug him into the bedroom.

“I'm so sorry. I don't even remember it. I was so drunk. Not that I'm making an excuse. I just love you,” Bam rattled off the whole walk to the bedroom. Bird then plopped him into bed and tucked him in.

“You sleep, we'll talk when you wake up. Okay?” Bird said quietly and Bam nodded. Bird leaned towards him and gave him a soft kiss on the forehead.

“I love you,” Bam whispered falling asleep quickly.

“I love you too, Bam. I do,” Bird whispered walking out of the room; she shut off the light as she passed the switch.

BAM.

Bam woke up still feeling exhausted. Looking over at the clock on the wall he saw it was noon. He rubbed the remaining sleep from his eyes and looked on Bird's side of the bed. She wasn't there. He got out of bed looking for Bird throughout the house. He trotted down the stairs to check in the kitchen. When his eyes landed on her leaning against the counter he approached her slowly.

“Are you ready to talk?” Bam asked in a whisper looking at the love of his life shyly. For the first time in a long time, he felt like a scared little boy.

“Yeah, let's go to the couch,” Bird said grabbing his hand. They walked over and sat down together. “Obviously, this isn't just going to go away.”

“I know, but can it go away? Eventually, I mean,” Bam asked gripping onto her hand like it was his last life line. Bird was quiet for a moment.

“Yes, I think so.”

Bam had never felt more relief wash over him at one time. Bird confirmed that they would try. They would work hard at it, but it wasn't over.

“I'll change for you. I will,” Bam promised and Bird chuckled.

“You don't have to change, Bam. You've never done anything like this before. You made good choices after it happened, if you hadn't have told me by now. I probably wouldn't have been lenient. I probably would have been packing,” Bird said and Bam let out a shaky breath.

“Thank fucking god I told you then. I couldn't lie to you, not about that,” Bam said giving her hand a squeeze.

“We'll be okay, Bam. I know it. But, I think it's best if I sleep in the guest room for now,” Bird said with a sad smile. Bam's shoulders slumped.

“I'll take the guest room, I know how much you love our bed,” Bam said looking at his knees. At least he still had his girlfriend.

“Thanks, Bam,” Bird said reaching over and putting her free hand on his thigh while she rested her forehead on his shoulder. The contact made Bam sigh contentedly.

“Do you want me to move my clothes there too?” Bam asked resting his cheek on the top of Bird's head.

“I'm not kicking you out, it's just for a few nights. I want a little space, not complete space. You understand that, right?” Bird asked and Bam nodded sadly.

“What happens when I have to travel for the movie?” Bam asked in a fragile, whispered voice. “If you can't trust me yet then I won't go. I won't leave.”

“Bam I'd never ask you to stay. Jackass will be a big achievement for you. You'd be very successful, even more so than now,” Bird said nuzzling into his neck. Bam snorted.

“What's the point in being successful if I can't share it with you?” Bam asked.

“Regardless, we'll work something out. I could talk to Tremaine. He'd keep you in line,” Bird said with light hearted chuckle. Bam took her joking around as a big, beautiful sign that everything will be perfect between them again.

“Come with me,” Bam said after a short silence.

“Bam, I can't just pack up and come with you. I have a job,” Bird said taking her hand off of his thigh but she left her head resting where it was.

“You don't even like that job. You got it out of pride,” Bam said kissing her head. Bird looked up at him with confused eyes. “I've known you were into photography for years. But you took that stupid job, taking shit from your asshole boss who wants nothing more then to get into your pants, so that way you could feel like you weren't just using me for my money or my fame,” Bam explained stunning Bird into confused silence. She didn't know that he knew that. “I know you, Bird. And I know that you need to feel like you're contributing.”

“I didn't want to be dependant on you,” Bird whispered tearing up.

“I know honey, and I knew that if I brought it up it would upset you. So, I let you do your thing. I wanted you to feel... independent,” Bam said. “I know you like feeling that way.”

“I love you, Bam,” Bird said making Bam's face break into a huge grin.

“I love you too,” Bam said. “So fucking much.”

“Well,” Bird started while she began to climb out of Bam's arms. “I better go get showered and dressed for work. Should I get fired, or quit? What would be more fun?”

“Wait, so you'll come!?” Bam asked smiling brightly at her. Bam stood up and gripped Bird's waist so he could pick her up and spin her around.

“On one condition,” Bird said. Bam stopped spinning her, put her down, and listened intently. “I don't want you to feel like I've forgiven you yet. I still expect lots of talking, and lots of work put into this relationship. If you can't prove that we'll work together, I'll leave.”

“You don't have to worry about that, I won't fuck up again,” Bam said rubbing his eyes. “I have to go to meetings for the rest of the afternoon but I'll be home by seven, can I take you to dinner?”

“Sure, do you want to get Chinese?” Bird asked casually. They both began to walk to the bedroom.

“No, babe, I meant like, a real dinner. A true dinner date,” Bam said. “We haven't been on one of those in over half a year.”

“Oh, yeah, that sounds like a good idea,” Bird said entering the bedroom. She immediately began to take her clothes off and throw them in the hamper. Bam took in the sight of her naked body, the last naked woman he'd seen had nothing like Bird's natural beauty. “What time would you like me ready for?”

“I'll pick you up at seven thirty,” Bam said smiling. Bird spun and placed her hands on her bare hips. Bam got to see her in all her glory. Every time was like the first time.

“Pick me up? Bam we live together,” Bird said crossing her arms.

Bam walked over to where she was standing. He gently grabbed her hands and tugged them away from her chest. He rested them by her side. Bam took a deep breath before looking down; he checked out her full figure.

“I will pick you up at seven thirty,” Bam repeated. Bam put his hands on her shoulders and spun her around. He gently pushed her towards the bathroom with one hand while the other tapped her bum. She looked at him over the shoulder confused but she decided not to question it further.

Bam didn't really move until he heard the shower start. As soon as it did Bird's singing bean; but Bam couldn't make out the song. Bam grabbed a random shirt off the floor and smelled it. Seemed fine to Bam, so he threw it on and left to go sit through some boring meetings about last minute details.

BIRD.

After Bird finished showering and getting dressed for work she got into her noble stallion of a car. She's had the same car since she was eighteen. She knew she would have to get a new one soon, this one fought every time Bird tried to turn it on. But it was her stallion, and they'd been through some tough times together. Bird turned the ignition only to hear the sputter and blow out she was used to. She sighed turning the key once more jumping slightly as the car roared to life. She didn't expect to work on the second try. This kind of thing really shouldn't impress her.

Bird drove to the little realtors office she was a secretary at. Bird truly hated this job, but it put some spending money in her pocket. Bird parked her car and walked into the little building located directly beside two rival pizza places. Bird walked to her desk to set her bag down before she walked to the back of the office to punch in. Her time card was filled with three hour shifts, which are starting to seem pointless. The money she makes on them is going to gas money, just to get here. Bird sometimes wished she could be a heartless gold digger, just to not work. But that would get boring eventually. And she truly loved Bam. Bam could be a grocery store clerk making minimum wage on part time hours and she would still love the crap out of him.

“Hey, if it isn't my favourite employee,” Mr. McLadden said leaning over Bird as she put her time card away.

“Hello, sir,” Bird said ready to walk away.

“How are you doing? Good? Still dating that skater guy? What's his name again? Bard?” Mr. McLadden asked making Bird feel integrated.

“His name is Bam, and yes,” Bird said turning and walking towards her desk. “Excuse me, I've got a lot of work to do and I'm only here for three hours.”

“I'm the boss you know, and I don't mind you staying back here to chat. In fact it's an order,” Mr. McLadden said and then chuckled. “I'm only kidding, go on then, off to work.”

Bird nodded before rushing to her desk at the front of the building. It was hidden away from the desks of the realtors by a big white wall. It made the office look professional. Bird sat down in her highly uncomfortable spinning chair that she shared with the two other secretaries. Bird looked around at the paperwork scattered around the centre of the desk. The lady on duty this morning, probably Sharon, left a lot of work unattended before she left. This was a typical problem with the morning staff. No respect. Bird thought she should type up her two weeks now, and print it off as soon as possible so that way she could give it to the boss.

No.

Bird wanted to get fired. Today would be her last day one way or another. She started off by being very rude to customers, unfortunately, most just scowled. There weren't nearly enough complaints. Then she started talking into the phone loudly. Bird had called her old pal Monica and decided now was a good a time as ever to catch up. Mr. McLadden stumbled around the corner; he shot a very seductive look at Bird, who cringed.

“I know what you're doing,” He said smirking. “You're trying to get in trouble. Well, it worked. My office. Now!”

“Well okay then, have to go Monica, lovely chat,” Bird said hanging up the receiver.

Bird followed Mr. McLadden to his crammed office space in the back of the building. He acted like a big corporate CEO when really this place was two years from going belly up, Bird just knew it. Mr. McLadden pointed to the blue chair across his own high backed, god father chair. She sat down and crossed her legs watching as Mr. McLadden sat on the front of his desk slightly to the left of Bird. He didn't like where this was going.

“So, why the misbehaving?” Mr. McLadden asked.

“I'm just trying to be me,” Bird said glaring at him. Bird needed him to hate her, and he hated back talk.

“If you wanted daddy to punish you, you could have asked,” Mr. McLadden said standing up and walking toward Bird. She stood quickly and rushed to the door. Mr. McLadden slammed the door before she could pry it open.

“I don't want you,” Bird said fiercely. “I'm saying no. And I quit.”

“This hard to get act is getting a tad old,” Mr. McLadden said with an unamused expression.

“It's not an act!” Bird said kicking Mr. McLadden between the legs and rushing out of the room. She grabbed her bag and rushed to her car.

As if her car knew how she was feeling, it magically started up on the first try. Bird drove off without doing up her seat belt. She drove with an angry mind. She barely even realized what was happening until she ended up a castle Bam. Dinner could wait until tomorrow. Bird had to do something important. She called Bam and told him he had to get back here immediately.

Bird sat on the couch for moment as Bam promised to be there in no more then ten minutes. Bird walked up to her room and took off her clothes. She looked at her underwear clad body and took a deep breath. Bird knew this was important, just to ease her mind slightly. Bird must have dazed off because next thing she knew there was the sound of a door slamming open and then closed again. Bird heard her name being called but she said nothing. She just continued to stare at her body. When she looked up, Bam was standing in the doorway.

“Sleep with me,” Bird said bluntly and Bam raised his eyebrows.

“I thought I was sleepin in the guest room,” Bam said but stopped abruptly. “But if you want me here I will gladly sleep with you.”

“No, Bam. I need a few days space.” Bird said turning back to the mirror. She knew she had him confused so she sighed. “Have sex with me.” Bam coughed.

“What, Why?” Bam asked walking over to Bird and hugging her. “What's happening right now?”

“We're going to walk backwards, fall onto the bed, and have sex,” Bird said.

“Tell me why and then I will,” Bam said. Bird sighed.

“I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing the last person you slept with wasn't me. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you to think I'm going to constantly bring it up. But, I need this,” Bird explained. Bam nodded and began to walk them towards the bed.

“Dinner tonight still?” Bam asked. Bird must have looked unsure because Bam spoke again; “We can have sex,” Bam fell onto the bed bringing Bird down on top of him. She straddled his waist and looked at him. “And still make it. It's only four.”

“Okay, but no more talking,” Bird whispered before leaning in to kiss Bam.