‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 14

Matt had just returned from the stage and was relaxing on the bed at the back of the bus. Rylee had just finished showering. She spent more time thinking than bathing. Ever since Stephanie pointed out Matt’s odd behavior, she has been more attentive to his every move. She still hasn’t decided how she was going to confront him. She plans to ease into it, knowing her husband gets easily pissed off.

She dried off and wrapped the soft towel around her body. She whimpered with disappointment when her stomach prevented the towel from wrapping around her completely. She waddled quickly into the back room, praying that none of the other guys’ saw her, and shut the door.

She kept a tight grip on her towel as she dumped her dirty clothes into the laundry sack. She could feel his eyes on her from the bed. She remained quiet as she faced away from him and dropped her towel. She stumbled while trying to put on her pajama shorts, so she balanced herself against the wall. A raspy laugh came from behind her. “You can ask for help, ya know.”

She shot him a smug smile.

“I got this, don’t worry,” she said out of breath.

“You sure? Sounds like you’re struggling over there,” he chuckled.

She waved him off playfully.

After grabbing a shirt and slipping it on, she started combing through her tangled wet hair. She watched him from the mirror. His gaze went from the TV, to his phone, then back to the TV before finally settling on her. She sighed deeply. While she was curious to know what was going on with him, she also didn’t want to open up another can of issues. It’ll ruin all of their progress.

“You smell good, babe,” he said, breaking her train of thought.

He motioned for her to come closer. She walked over with playful hesitation. He flashed her a wide dimpled smile in return. Her heart ached knowing that neither one of them will be smiling for long. Even if he isn’t hiding anything, he’ll still be pissed over her lack of trust. She could feel the warmth emit from his large hands as he placed them on her stomach.

“How’s my baby girl?”

Their daughter prodded and moved from inside. It was almost as if she recognized his voice. Matt giggled and followed their baby’s movements with his finger. Rylee jerked from the ticklish feeling.

“Somebody is active tonight,” he cooed, resting his forehead on her stomach.

Rylee couldn’t suppress the huge sappy grin that formed on her face. She loved when he interacted with the baby. She found it adorable.

But, her heart ached more with each one of his loving actions. He was making this whole confrontation thing incredibly difficult.

“Pretty soon we’re gonna give you a name,” he said softly. He picked his head up just enough to kiss where their daughter kicked. Rylee decided, then, that it was time to intervene. She was melting from his sweet words and gestures. She wanted to get this whole thing over and done with.

“Matt?” Her voice quivered slightly.

He looked up and met her gaze. “Yeah, babe?”

Her heart pumped fast in her chest. Her mouth opened to speak but nothing came out. She took a deep breath and tried again.

“Matt? You know I love you right?” she asked, sitting down next to him.

God did that question sound ever familiar. He peered at her for a second before gently taking her hands in his.

“Of course, Rylee.” Her hands felt slippery in his grasp. “And you know you can tell me anything. You know that, right?”

His hands tensed. His face deadpanned, totally emotionless. She waited for him to say something. Anything. He swallowed hard and nodded.

“Yeah, I know.” The simple response came out gruff. Almost defensive. Right then Rylee knew for sure that something was up.

She now knew he wasn’t going to confess on his own. She was going to have to pull it out of him.

“Okay, Matt,” she said, sounding brash.

She pulled her hands from his and stood up. He looked shocked from her sudden actions.

“Can I borrow your phone for a second?” she asked, straightforward.

His eyes widened.

“Why?” he asked, getting defensive.

With her hands placed firmly on her hips, Rylee huffed in frustration.

“Because I want to check my email,” she lied.

Matt shook his head. “You can’t. Service is weak back here.”

Her patience flew out the window and was replaced with anger.

“You fucking liar!” she said, her voice rising. “Just give me the phone, Matt.”

He snatched the phone from beside him and stood up. “No.”

He walked towards the door but Rylee grabbed his arm before he could leave.

“Look, Rylee, just fucking drop it okay. You can check your email tomorrow.”

She dug her nails into his arm.

“What are you hiding, Matt? Huh? Just fucking tell me,” she sneered.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” he asked, getting hostile.

Rylee gripped his arm tighter, making him wince.

“Why can’t you just be honest with me?” she whined.

She could clearly see the guilt in his eyes.

“Matt!” she yelled, “Just hand me the damn phone!”

She watched him intently as he froze in place, almost as if he was finally going to give in. But it was to no avail as he snatched his arm away from her and left the room. She followed after him.

“Matthew fucking Sanders,” she yelled.

Everyone was alert by now, standing behind Matt with concerned looks.

“What’s going on?” asked Jimmy.

“Matt! Just give her the fucking phone. Do you want to send her into labor,” Stephanie growled.

He glanced back at his wife, seeing all the unnecessary distress he was exerting on her. With a long and heavy sigh, he handed the phone to her. She snatched it from him and flipped it open.

“I can explain everything, Rylee,” Matt rushed out, “I swear I had nothing to do with this.”

Rylee went right to his messages, assuming he was communicating with someone he shouldn’t have. Low and behold, Bella was the last person to send a text. She sighed, shaking her head.

“Bella started texting me the night we went out on our date. I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to ruin our progress. I never once responded to her messages or pictures.”

Her heart was in the pit of her stomach at the sight of the nude pictures. Tears were building fast as she vividly remembered Bella straddling her husband as his tongue explored her mouth. He reached out to comfort her but she smacked his hand away.

“Rylee please! You gotta believe me. I want nothing to do with her.”

Rylee didn’t know what to believe. She didn’t have the energy to think about the whole situation. It was all too much for her. She didn’t even try to contain the sob the escaped her. She had no fight left in her body. She was done. She shoved his phone against his chest and headed for the bunks. The guys’ questioned Matt bitterly while Stephanie made her way over to help Rylee.

“This is all too much, Steph,” she cried.

Steph stood speechless as she watched Rylee pull a bag and luggage from the storage bunk.

“Fuck! Rylee? What are you doing?” Matt pushed past Stephanie, ignoring the threats from his friends, and rushed over to Rylee.

Rylee started going though her drawers, picking out clothes to shove into the suitcase.

“Please, baby. Don’t do this,” He pleaded.

He was panicking. He began breathing heavy, close to hyperventilation. She was leaving him again. His heart broke the first time he watched her pack her stuff. Now it was happening again, but this time it hurt ten times as worse. He knew she wasn’t going to a hotel. She was going home.

“Rylee I’m so sorry. I should’ve told you. I should’ve been honest with you from the very first text.”

“Should’ve. Could’ve. Yeah, I’ve heard that all before, Matt,” she said almost nonchalant.

“I know. But, it won’t happen again. Please don’t go,” he pleaded to the brink of tears.

Rylee zipped up her suitcase and placed a hand on his chest.

“I have to go home, Matt. I can’t go through another battle with you on this fucking bus. I need time to myself.”

He placed a shaky hand on her stomach.

“What about the baby? What if you go into labor and I’m not there?”

The thought alone scared her shitless. But that didn't stop her.

“Then I’ll have someone drive me to the hospital.”

She glanced up at his tear-streaked face.

“Fine, I’ll do whatever it takes to keep this baby in here until you return. Okay?”

He shook his head. “Just don’t go.”

Rylee ignored him and continued packing.

“Rylee? There’s a flight to Los Angeles leaving in three hours. We can make it if we leave now,” said Stephanie, peaking into the room.

Rylee took one last glance at her distraught husband. “Okay. Let’s go.”

Matt growled and pushed past Stephanie as he made his way back to the front of the bus. He took his phone and forcefully threw it against the wall, smashing it into pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi, sorry for the wait. My internet was out at my house and i had to wait until i got back to campus to upload this. I'm back at school now but i'll still update when i can. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(If there are any errors i'll correct them after class tomorrow, haha)