‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 17

After being home for five days, Rylee finally decided to call her and Matt’s parents to inform them of her homecoming. While her parents were upset that she didn’t inform them earlier, that didn’t stop her mother from tagging along with her for her third trimester check-up.

“Still can’t believe you didn’t tell me you were back home, Rylee Ann.”

Rylee rolled her eyes at the usage of her first and middle name. She only heard it when her mother was upset with her.

“Actually I did tell you. Just not immediately.”

Her mother shook her head and tapped her nails on the steering wheel out of irritation.

They had just left the doctors office. The doctor checked the baby’s positioning, which isn’t breeched, and that’s good. He warned her about the start of false contractions and everything else that went along with the eighth month of pregnancy.

“We should try some of those yoga classes your doctor mentioned,” said her mother, making a left turn at the light.

Rylee let out a dry laugh.

“Mom, you know how clumsy I am.”

Mrs. Moreno chuckled, “Yeah, you get it from me.”

Rylee relaxed against the back of her seat, watching the palm tree’s blur past. She still hasn’t mentioned anything about her and Matt’s problems. Her mother was curious to know why she came home from tour so early, considering she was so intent on being with Matt during the entire pregnancy.

Rylee just told her she’d discuss it once they arrived back at the house, which would be soon since they were nearing the neighborhood.

“Your father will be so excited to see you,” said her mother as she pulled into the smooth paved driveway of Rylee’s childhood home.

“Yeah. The feeling will be mutual,” Rylee grunted as she lifted herself from the low-lying car.

Together, they walked into the air-conditioned house. Pictures of Rylee from various ages lined the walls of the living room, along with other members of her family. Her fathers voice could be heard from his office as he was on the phone.

“Allen, we’re home,” yelled out Mrs. Moreno.

Her father said a quick goodbye and raced into the kitchen to hug is daughter.

“My baby girl! So nice to see you.” Rylee wrapped her arms around her father’s plump figure. His warm embrace brought on a sense of nostalgia.

He pulled away and patted her belly gently. “Lay off the cheese burgers, girl,” he joked.

Rylee laughed and lightly smacked his arm.

“Hey now! Be nice to my baby,” said her mother, playfully smacking his shoulder.

She pulled out a chair for Rylee to sit. Rylee lowered herself onto the chair and placed her purse on the table.

“How’s my granddaughter doing?” asked her father, sitting down in the chair beside her.

“She’s doing great. If you watch closely, you can see her doing summersaults on my bladder.”

She’s always been able to joke around with her father more than her mother, although he can be very overbearing.

“She’s only doing to you what you did to your mother.”

Rylee giggled at her mother, who shook her head fast in agreement.

“By the way, Rylee, I wrote down everything that your doctor talked about today,” said Mrs. Moreno as she poured peppermint tea into two glasses,“Even the part about sex. You have to be extra careful, not too rough.”

Rylee groaned and covered her face with her hands in embarrassment.

Her mother had always been this way. Never ashamed to state anything that she deemed important, even if it was about her daughters sex life.

“I’m out,” said Mr. Moreno, leaving the room with a look of discomfort.

“C’mon mom. Why?” Rylee whined.

Her mother smacked her lips and sat a cup of tea in front of Rylee, before taking a seat at the table.

“I’m just making sure you understand. Your father and I had a little mishap with that when I was carrying you.”

Rylee choked on her tea and spit it back into the cup.

“MOM. Can you not?” she griped.

Mrs. Moreno threw her head back in laughter.

“Okay, okay. Now tell me the real reason you’re home three weeks early, missy.”

Rylee sighed and pushed her tea to the side. She stared at her mother with silent plea, hoping that she would spare her the distress for another time.

“What? Are you guys getting divorced or something?” she chuckled out.

When Rylee didn’t laugh along with her, she froze on the spot.

“Sweetie! What happened?” she asked softly.

Rylee couldn’t find the words to tell her mother that her husband had betrayed her. Especially since her mother really took a liking to Matt, unlike her father, who never liked him that much.

Rylee licked over her dry lips and took a deep breath, “Matt cheated on me back in August.”

The words left a bitter taste in her mouth. It was the first time she had verbally admitted it. Everyone else found out either from the guys’ or from gossip.

Rylee nervously picked at a lose string on her cardigan while waiting for her mom’s reaction.

“What?” her mother whispered.

Rylee just nodded her head, not wanting to repeat herself.

“He cheated on you?” her mother yelled in shock.

Rylee didn’t get a chance to explain the situation further before her father came charging into the kitchen. His brows were furrowed, his nostrils were flared and his fists were clenched tightly.

“What the hell did you just say?” he asked her mother.

“Matthew cheated on Rylee..”

They both watched as he began pacing back and forth.

“That mother fucker,” he seethed.

He walked over to an open cabinet and forcefully slammed it shut with his fist. Rylee flinched from the impact.

“Allen, please calm down.” He ignored his wife and focused his attention on Rylee.

“What did I tell you, Rylee? He’s no good for you!” he yelled.

Rylee remained quiet and avoided eye contact.

“That piece of shit never loved you. I told you not to marry him, and you went ahead and did it anyway. Bet you regret that.”

Rylee flashed him an icy glare.

“He still loves me..” she said, finally staring into his enraged eyes.

Allen forced out a laugh at his daughters statement.

“No he fucking doesn’t. I should’ve never given my blessing for your marriage. I only did it for you, to make you happy. But I see that was a big fucking mistake.”

Rylee forcefully stood up from her seat. Her blood was boiling as her father continued to degrade her husband and marriage.

“He made a mistake, okay? And you can’t talk, dad. You’re not a saint,” she yelled.

“Rylee. Baby? Please calm down,” Mrs. Moreno placed her arm around her rigid daughter.

“Yes, I had a drinking problem. But I never once cheated on your mother.”

“No, but you hit her. Matt would never hit me!”

“I only did that one time and I regretted it as soon as it happened.”

“Yeah, well Matt cheated on me once and he, too, regrets it. So watch your bluff!”

“Don’t turn this around on me, Rylee. This is about your piece of shit husband,” he said, pointing a finger at her, “And for God’s sake, you’re carrying his fucking child. What a fucking wreck! He ruined your life.”

“Allan! Stop it right now.”

Once he referred to her child as a wreck, Rylee was finished. She stepped closer to him and glared coldly up at him.

“Don’t you dare refer to my child as a wreck,” she said in a low quivering tone.

“I didn’t mean it like that, Ry-“

“Shut up! Just shut up,” she cried, “You’ve said enough.”

He reached out to try and console her but she jerked away from him.

“Take me home, mom,” she demanded.

Mrs. Moreno nodded and grabbed her purse.

“You will apologize to her later,” she said, glaring back at her husband.

When she got to the car, Rylee was curled up in the passenger seat crying.

She got in the car and laid Rylee’s head on her chest.

“Shhh, I know, baby,” she cooed.

“I’m so tired of everything, mama. I can’t do this.”

Mrs. Moreno brushed away the hair that stuck to her face and wiped her tears.

“Yes you can, honey,” she reassured, “I know things are at an all time low for you. But, trust me when I say things can only go up from here.”

Rylee’s breathing calmed as she listened to her mothers soothing words.

“Every thing is going to be okay, Ryle’s. I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Look's like the parents are getting involved now. Do you think her father is being unfair? Or just sticking up for his daughter?

I have exams coming up so i decided to post a chapter before i'm super busy. Enjoy!