‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 2

“Dude, you look like shit.”

Matt looked up at the smaller, spikey haired man sitting across from him and shrugged his shoulders. Yeah, he knew he looked like shit. Did he care? No. He could care less about what he looked like at this point. He was exhausted. He spent the whole night thinking about everything. First he tried contacting Rylee. He left voicemails when she didn’t pick up and then left numerous text messages, in hopes of getting a response from her. But nothing happened. He got nothing from her and that only made him feel worse. Regret consumed him. Questions like what if and why racked his brain. He also thought of opposite scenarios. He pictured himself at the baby check-ups with her. He pictured him and her cuddled up on the couch, watching movies on the bus. just the two of them, no one else. If he’d been smart, he would’ve done those things instead of drinking and hanging out with groupies. But now he has to deal with the burden of knowing he screwed up. As soon as the sun came up the next morning, he went to Jimmy and begged him to call his wife. He needed to know where she was. Jimmy was hesitant at first, but agreed to try. Matt and the guys left soon after to reserve a booth at a breakfast place while Jimmy called Rylee.

__________

“Jimbo’s here,” Brian cheered.

“Finally! I’m fucking starving,” said Zacky.

Matt ignored his friends. He wanted to know how Rylee was doing.

“What’s up fuckers,” greeted Jimmy, sliding in next to Brian.

Matt cleared his throat and gave Jimmy a knowing look. Jimmy nodded and proceeded to explain.

“She’s staying at the hotel on Clark Street. It’s not far from here.”

Everyone let out a sigh of relief. They were truly concerned about Rylee.

“How is she and the baby?” asked Matt.

Jimmy made a twisting motion with his hand, “She’s ok. Tired as fuck, though. The baby is fine, but probably hungry.”

Matt frowned upon hearing that his baby was hungry.

“She’s gonna eat right? Cause I swear if something happens to the baby from her selfish acts-“

“Dude, calm down. I offered her to eat with us and she said she’d meet us here. She wouldn’t harm the baby on purpose, asshole,” said Jimmy, glaring at him.

“She’s here,” said Johnny, pointing to Rylee who had just entered the restaurant.

Matt’s breath caught when he saw how drained she looked. The guys’ watched her as she followed the host to another booth.

“She’s not sitting with us?” asked Johnny.

“She probably didn’t see us sitting over here.”

“Excuse me sir,” said Brian to the host. “She’s with us.”

Rylee spun around slowly with a look of defeat and cursed quietly to herself. She walked over and gave a small wave, avoiding eye contact with everyone but jimmy. Matt wanted to hold and comfort her. But by the look of her, she was too far-gone. The glow she once had disappeared.

“How’s little shads doing,” asked Zacky as he rubbed Rylee’s protruding belly.

“Fine. We’re both ready to chow down.”

____________

Rylee sat quietly while the guys made small talk as they waited for the food to arrive. She was pissed that her plan failed. She could’ve slapped Brian for opening his big mouth. She was so damn close to escaping. But Jimmy was right; it wasn’t too bad. She could feel her husband’s gaze on her from time to time but she ignored it. She had more important things to focus on, like eating. Her hypersensitive sense of smell kicked into overdrive when the waiter came over with the trays of food. He passed around the plates and checked to see if anyone needed anything else before leaving. She buttered her stack of pancakes before drowning them in syrup. She stuffed a big bite into her mouth and moaned at the buttery sweetness.

“Damn, girl! You enjoying that?” teased Zacky.

“Fuck you,” she muttered, a smirk toying at her sticky lips.

Once half of her pancakes were gone, she started on her omelet. She took a bite and chewed a bit before spitting it out. The strong taste and smell of onion made her stomach turn and the urge to puke took over. She quickly dropped her fork and scanned the room for a bathroom. She spotted the sign near the back entrance and took off for it. She could hear the guys’ questions of concern as she ran. She made it just in time and emptied the contents from her stomach into the toilet. She felt better after getting it out. She sat against the stall and took in a deep breath. Onions have been a big turn off since the beginning of her pregnancy. That’s why she specifically told the waiter to not include them in her omelet. He obviously didn’t listen.

“Rylee? Baby, are you ok?”

Rylee looked up to see Matt looking down at her with concern. She unlocked her gaze from his sad hazel eyes as she tried to ignore him.

“Rylee, please don’t ignore me. I’m sorry, okay?”

She felt his thumb brush away the tear that escaped her eye.

“Just look at me dammit. Please!” he begged, turning her face towards him.

“Don’t fucking touch me,” she snapped, struggling to get up from the floor.

Matt smacked the side of the stall out of frustration.

“How the fuck are we supposed to fix anything if you won’t talk to me?”

“I will once you get your priorities straight,” she replied, walking out of the bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Skipped my biology class today because i'm sick. That left me time to post this chapter :) Hopefully you guys will enjoy it!