‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 22

Three weeks, or what felt like an eternity, had passed by. Preparations for Geneva were underway. A baby proofing specialist was called in to baby proof everything. Special locks were put on the cabinets, the refrigerator and all the electrical outlets. Basically anything that’s low enough for a baby to reach has been baby proofed. And once that task was finished, a carpet cleaning service was called in. Along with an electrician and a painter. Rylee did some research ahead of time to see what was needed to make the house baby proof. Mission Accomplished! It was more than ready to house little Geneva.

Even the nursery was finished. Which is where Rylee is now, rocking back and forth in the rocking chair sat by the window. The warm ocean breeze tousled her hair gently as she rocked, while her hands sat folded on top of her stomach. She's completely at ease. Finally!

The stress of her last trimester has really gotten to her. She's tired of being pregnant, yet terrified of the thought of giving birth. Matt has been pretty supportive, which is a huge plus. But sometimes her moods swings overwhelm him and he explodes.

Like this morning, for example. Matt woke up really affectionate and Rylee didn't want to be touched. She literally pushed him away, claiming he was invading her personal space. So he caved and called her a bitch, which then led to a full blown argument. Pillows were thrown, along with several choice words. And to top it off, Matt received a phone call from Brian, saying the guys' were required to attend Rylee's baby shower that evening. He bitched about it until Rylee told him to leave. She knew if he had stayed in the house any longer, the fight would only intensify and somebody would end up getting hurt.

He'd been gone for two hours now. She didn't know exactly where he had escaped to. But if she had to take a guess, it would be Jimmy’s house. Their fight laid heavy on her mind as she sat in the quiet nursery. She felt guilty for starting it. It was honestly quite petty.

She continued to rock slowly, back and forth, admiring the beauty surrounding her. She had to hand it to Matt, he did a damn good job on Geneva's room. It came out better than she had expected.

The walls were painted a light lavender color with an ivory trim. The crib is made of wood and painted a pure white. The sheets were also white, draping down to the bottom of the crib in frills. A crystal chandelier dangled from the ceiling and a round mirror with a weathered finish sat on the wall behind the crib, adding a touch of sophistication. A soft white rug with lavender designs covered the hard wood Floor.

The best part of the nursery was the three-dimensional mural painted behind the crib, of a white tree branch, stretching from the entrance of the room, all the way to the window. Smaller branches with leaves were painted along it, with a bird perched on top. Matt's good friend, Cam, did it as an early baby shower gift. Rylee cried when she saw the finished result. It was everything she imagined and more. It was done, beautifully!

Her rocking came to a halt at the sound of a car pulling into the drive way. The thought of Matt returning made her nerves twitch. She didn't know if he was still mad or not. So she hoped for the latter.

"Rylee?" he called out.

"In the nursery."

"What?"

"In the nursery!" she yelled louder.

He appeared in the doorway, slightly out of breath, with an apologetic smile.

"Hey, baby." He had a plastic bag in his hand. "I'm really sorry for what happened earlier."

He reached the bag out for her to grab. "So I got you this. As sort of a peace offering.."

Rylee studied the bag with curiosity. "I'm sorry, too. I did start it after all."

She extended her head up for a kiss. Matt obliged with a grin.

"Now open the bag."

She peaked cautiously into the bag before reaching in and snatching out its contents: A king sized pack of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and a small teddy bear, holding a pink heart that read I Love You.

"Aww, babe. I love it," she cooed.

Matt laughed seeing the tears build up in hers eyes. "C'mon now. Don't cry."

She didn't waste any time ripping open the pack of candy.

"I wove you," she grumbled.

"Good. ‘Cause I wasn't too sure about that earlier."

"I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you after the baby shower. How does that sound?"

Matt let out a low growl from the seductive look she was giving him. If going to the baby shower meant getting laid after, then he was all for it.

"In that case, maybe we should get going." He reached to take the bag away from her.

She snatched it from his grasp. "The chocolate stays with me."

He held up his hands in defense. "Alright. But at least let me help you up."

She hesitantly gave in and packed the candy away along with the bear. She held out her hands for him to grab so that he could pull her up.

"God damn," she cursed, standing to her feet. She placed a hand on her lower back, stretching out her torso. Matt linked his arm with hers and led her out of the room. "I can't wait to get you out of this dress later."

Later on in the evening, everyone was gathered in Brian and Stephanie's back yard for the baby shower. The girls are sat on the patio, surrounding Rylee as she sat in the middle. Her chair, more like throne, was nicely cushioned and decorated in baby blue ribbons. The gift table was packed with tons and tons of perfectly wrapped gifts, different sized gift bags and unwrapped trinkets.

Over by the grill were the guys', drinking beer and joking around.

"Why are we here again?" asked Johnny, digging around the cooler for another beer.

"Because if I have to be here then so do you," said Brian, receiving the middle finger from each one of his friends.

"And don't blame me. Blame Matt for not wrapping it up."

"When your wife is as sexy as mine, wrapping it up is the furthest thing from your mind," Matt confessed.

"I sure wouldn’t wrap it up if I had the chance to fuck her," Zack joked.

Matt kicked his shin hard. "If you even think about touching her I will fucking murder you."

They laughed at his threat, even though they knew he meant every word.

"Save your threats for all the little boys that will chase your daughter," said Jimmy.

Matt grimaced. He never really gave much thought about this aspect of having a daughter. He always told himself, when he was younger, that he would be a lenient parent; completely opposite of how his dad was with him. But the mere thought of his daughter being like him as a teenager- sneaking out, drinking alcohol and smoking pot- gave him a stomachache. Even worse, the thought of some little fuck boy trying to win her over just to get in her panties, made his blood boil. He clenched on to his beer bottle tightly, trying to relieve the anger that was building up. If people thought he had a problem controlling his temper now, just wait until Geneva gets her heart broken.

The stars were out by the time everyone started packing up to leave. A few people stayed behind to help clean up. Rylee got pretty much everything that was listed on her registry. Even the video game Matt had requested for himself.

"I got the car packed up, babe."

"Let me say goodbye to Steph first, okay?"

He stood by the gate while she went over to hug Stephanie. When she returned he helped her get into the car.

Matt raced the short distance home, knowing what was in store. Rylee must've been thinking the same thing when she started rubbing his upper thigh.

"You ready to rip this dress off of me?" She drifted her hand over to his arousal, stroking him. His grip on the steering wheel tightened, just like his pants.

"If you keep doing that I'll take you right here."

"I wouldn't object." She trailed wet kisses along his neck as she continued to palm him.

When they finally made it home he quickly carried her up to the bedroom to finish what she started.
♠ ♠ ♠
enjoy!!