‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 25

“This better be super fuckin’ important, Syn,” said Matt, trudging lazily through Brian’s front door.

He doesn’t bother closing the door behind him, leaving Brian with the task, as he made his way through the foyer to the kitchen to grab a cold Corona.

After flipping off the bottle cap, he immediately downed the bitter drink. Brian watched him from the kitchen doorway. “You good, dude?”

Matt wiped at his mouth with the back of his hand and sighed.

“Yeah. Just exhausted.”

Brian sent him a weak nod and grabbed a beer for himself.

“You smell like a baby…”

Matt’s face hardens into a glare. “Is that a complement? Cause I’ve changed like 100 plus diapers over the past 6 weeks. I could smell like shit and not even know it.”

Brian threw his head back in laughter. “I meant you smell like baby powder.”

He threw his bottle in the trash before taking a seat at the kitchen table.

“Remind me to get a video of you changing a diaper. The fans would get a kick out of that..”

Matt snorted out a chuckle, “They probably would. Now what the hell is so important? You’re cutting into my fifteen minute nap.”

“Well for starters you might want to sit down.”

“Okay,” Matt plopped down and kicked his shoes up on the table, “But once I get comfortable there’s no guarantee that I’ll stay awake.”

In this moment, Brian finally took a good look at his best friend; dark bags were built up under his eyes along with the stubble on his face. But somehow his dull hazel orbs still had that spark. The one that he obtained the day Geneva was born. The one that says ‘I’m tired as all hell but I’m loving every minute of it.’ Brian could tell how dedicated he was to the whole parenting thing just by looking at him.

“How is it? Being a dad and all?”

Just thinking about Geneva made Matt grin like a lovesick fool.

“I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.”

“Not even sleep?”

Matt laughed but thought about it for a split second.

“Nope. Not even sleep. Even though I think I miss sleep more than sex right now. And that says a lot.”

Brian blew out a long whistle. “That’s deep, man. Super fucking deep.”

Matt nodded and ran his hands down his face. “She has me wrapped around her little finger ten-fold. I love her to death..”

“God, you’re turning me soft over here with all that sweet talk.”

Matt smirked at him.

“You should have a kid. Geneva will need a playmate eventually.”

Brian quickly objects.

“Nope. Nowhere near ready for a kid.”

“C’mon, Bri. It’s so much fun seeing a mini-version of yourself crawling around.”

Brian scoffs, “You’ve peer pressured me into trying LSD..and smoking weed and other unmentionable things. But having a kid? Nope.”

Matt just shrugged his shoulders in defeat. He can’t blame the man for not wanting a kid. It’s an acquired desire. Not for people who flinch at the mentioning of settling down. People like Brian. Or so he thought.

“But I have been doing some thinking lately and last night I made a huge decision.”

Matt’s face deadpanned.

“You know not to make decisions when drunk.”

“I didn’t even talk to you last night. How did you know I got drunk?”

“I know you always go to Johnny’s on Friday nights. Plus you drunk texted me. Some shit about masturbating with a Kangaroo.”

“Ah, meant to send that to Jimmy. Anyway I did some extra deep thinking and I’ve decided to take the next step with Stephanie.”

This is the only time Matt wished he were in the midst of drinking something for extra shock value. Instead, all he could do was stare at the spikey haired man as if he had said he murdered a litter of newborn kittens. Hell, even if he did admit to murder Matt wouldn’t be as surprised as he was right now.

“Dude? Are you sure about this?”

Brian doesn’t hesitate to answer, “I’m like 99 percent sure, bro. I can’t imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else. She gets me..all my quirks and shit. I love her..”

“Is this what you called me over here for?”

“Yup. You’re the only person that can relate. I just need to know if I’m making the right decision. So am I?”

“If you love her then yes.”

Brian smiled sheepishly and gave a finalized nod.

Before they could discuss the topic further, Stephanie came barging through the front door with bags of groceries. “What’s up, guys?”

Brian greeted her with a sweet kiss before helping her with the bags.

“Oh, and Matt? You might wanna get home. Your poor wife is on the verge of insanity.”

“Fuck,” he curses to himself. “I’ll see you guys later.”

Once in the driveway of his home he slammed his foot on the breaks, put the car in park and cut the engine before quickly sprinting to the front door. He took a deep breath as he entered the house. Geneva’s loud cries could be heard immediately along with silent whimpers.

He followed the cries to the kitchen, where Geneva was found lying in her bouncy seat on the floor while Rylee was sat face down on the countertop. Geneva noticed his presence immediately as she held out her little arms to him.

Now he’s fighting an internal battle. Whom shall he attend to first? He took a glance over at Rylee, who still hasn’t noticed his presence. Or she’s ignoring him. Either way, it doesn’t matter because Geneva won. Matt couldn’t resist those big hazel eyes.

“What’s the matter, pretty baby?” He picked her up and wiped her chubby tear stained cheeks. By now Rylee has noticed him. Her hair looked unkempt and her tired eyes were soaked.

“I don’t know what to do. She’s been crying for hours. And I’ve tried just about everything,” she cried.

“Don’t worry, sweetie. You go upstairs and relax for a bit. I’ll take her up to the nursery and I’ll try to calm her down.”

Rylee smiled through her tears and whispered a thank you.

Matt grabbed Geneva’s bottle and made his way up to her nursery. He sat the bottle down on the carpet beside the rocking chair while he got situated.

He placed Geneva on his chest and caressed her back softly.

“Daddy hates seeing you so upset, Gigi,” he muttered.

He grabbed a towel and placed it on his shoulder, just incase she needed to burp something up. He rocked gently as he patted her on the back. When the pats didn’t work he transitioned to plan B.

He laid her down in his arms and wiped, once more, at her wet face. She grabbed at his fingers and wrapped her little hand around his thumb.

“I’m going to sing to you, Gigi. So don’t be too harsh,” he chuckled.

“Now and then when I see your face you take me away to that special place and if I stare to long, I'd probably break down and cry. Ohhhh, oh, oh sweet child o' mine."

Geneva’s sobs turned into small whimpers as she stared up at him with curiosity.

He smiled and continued to sing, "You've got eyes of hazel skies as if they thought of rain, I hate to look into those eyes and see an ounce of pain."

After a while her eyes slowly started to flutter shut. He continued to rock her gently before softly singing one more verse. "Ohh, oh, oh, sweet love of mine.."

“And you were worried about being a good father..”

His head snapped up to see Rylee smirking in the doorway. She slowly walked over, not wanting to wake up Geneva, and kissed his cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
The epilogue will be next and will end this story.

Thanks to @mrsmshadz and @AJ9 for commenting on the last chapter! I really appreciate it <3