‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 5

"You're not planning on getting an epidural, are you? Cause I'm reading the possible complications with those and it sounds pretty risky."

Rylee looked over at her anxious husband. They were in the examination room waiting on the doctor. Matt decided to pass time by reading birthing pamphlets, which was not helping his growing anxiety.

"I haven't decided yet. We can always talk to the doctor about it when I'm closer," said Rylee.

Matt nodded. She reached over and stopped his bouncing leg. She knew he was excited to see the baby and find out the gender, but it looks like something else is bothering him.

"You okay, Matt? You're acting like a nervous cat."

Matt laughed and took hold of her hand. His hand was clammy.

"Yeah, I'm just excited and kind of nervous. What if they find something wrong?" he asked.

You could hear the concern in his voice.

Rylee squeezed his hand, "I'm sure everything is okay. The baby was healthy the last two check-ups. I'm sure nothing has changed."

Matt sighed and squeezed her hand.

"I'm still so sorry, babe. About everything."

Rylee groaned inwardly. Lately, he's been apologizing for “everything” and it's kind of getting on her nerves. It's not that she doesn't believe in his apologies. It's just she'd rather not think about last weeks drama, especially during the baby's check-up.

"I know. But let's focus on the baby right now, okay?”

He nodded, once more, and grabbed another pamphlet.

"What's taking the doctor so fucking long?" he huffed, flipping quickly through the pamphlet.

"My sincere apologies, Mr. Sanders. Another patient was having complications," said a woman, who looked to be in her fifties with short auburn hair. She walked in, smoothed out her white lab coat and laid her chart near the computer. She washed her hands as she introduced herself, "I'm Dr. Harbrook. And since this is our first time meeting, can you please tell me more about yourselves."

Rylee relaxed seeing her friendly smile.

"Um. I'm Rylee Sanders and we're both from Orange County, California. I'm touring with my husband and his band, which is why we're in Ohio today."

Dr. Harbrook smiled and nodded. Rylee signaled for Matt to introduce himself. He rubbed his hands together nervously and gave a shy dimpled smile.

"I'm Matt Sanders. I'm very sorry about what I said previously. I'm just a little anxious."

"It's no problem, Mr. Sanders. Is this your first child?"

"Yes, ma’am," answered Rylee.

The doctor nodded and looked at her chart.

"So it says here that you two are ready to find out the gender. Is that right?"

"Yep. We're fuckin'. . .uh. . .freaking excited," said Matt, blushing slightly after his slip up.

Rylee laughed and Matt sent her a playful glare. Dr. Harbrook smiled at the playful couple. She would've never guessed they were having problems by the way they joked around and that's exactly what Rylee and Matt wanted. They agreed before the appointment to keep their issues at bay. The talk they had a few days ago helped but it didn't completely fix everything, of course. Rylee still needed time and Matt has been patiently giving her the time she needs.

"Okay, let's get started. Rylee, can you lift up your shirt, please?"

Rylee nodded and pulled up her black t-shirt. She shivered as the cool air hit her exposed stomach. Dr. Harbrook felt around for the baby's position before applying a cold gel to Rylee’s stomach. Matt noticed his wife’s slight discomfort and grabbed her hand. He rubbed small circles into her palm while Dr. Harbrook got out the transducer.

"Let's see if we can find the little one," she muttered, moving the device around Rylee’s stomach. The couple watched the black and white fuzz shift on the screen until the baby finally appeared.

"There you are," cooed the doctor.

Rylee smiled wide and looked over at Matt. He was also smiling wide. The last time he saw his baby, it was no more than a little spec. But now it looked more human than ever.

"This is amazing," he whispered to his wife, tears welling in his eyes.

Rylee beamed and squeezed his hand.

"Everything looks good. The baby is growing just fine," said the doctor. "Let's see if we can find the genitals!"

she moved around a bit until she stopped and smacked her lips.

"What's wrong?" asked Rylee.

"The baby has its ankles crossed. We can’t see the genitals," she laughed.

"Our baby is already being a little misfit," Matt said, laughing.

"Definitely your kid, that's for sure," replied Rylee.

Doctor Harbrook spent the next ten minutes moving and pressing on Rylee’s stomach to try and get the baby to move out of its position. Finally, the baby unlocked its ankles and the doctor was able to determine the gender.

"Look’s like you two are having a baby girl!"

Rylee squealed with excitement. She was hoping for a girl. Matt wanted a boy but he was still ecstatic with the news of his baby girl. He kissed his wife's hand as happy tears rolled down his face.

"Can we have sonogram pictures?" he asked.

"Of course! I'll get them in just a minute." Dr. Harbrook wiped the gel from Rylee’s stomach and turned off the equipment.

Rylee tugged down her shirt and gently slid from the examination seat.

"I'm so happy it's a girl. I really hope she has your dimples," said Rylee.

Matt grinned at the thought.

"I'm sure she will, babe. I hope she looks just like you."

"Eh, I hope she's a perfect mixture of both of us. But, I know she'll be beautiful regardless."

Soon, Dr. Harbrook was back with 3 copies of pictures for the couple.

"I wish you both the best of luck for the duration of the pregnancy. You'll make amazing parents."

Rylee and Matt thanked her and shook her hand.

"I plan on giving my little girl the world," said Matt, as he leaned down and kissed Rylee's stomach.

Then he stood back up and gave Rylee a quick but passionate kiss.

"We'll get better, I promise," he whispered to her.

Doctor Harbrook almost teared up at the sight of the sweet couple. They looked so much in love. So connected. So put together. Such good actors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! Here's another chapter. Possible drama to come soon ;) Comment and Subscribe!