‹ Prequel: We Are Broken
Status: Complete!

Two Pieces

Chapter 9

Matt lied on his back and stared at the bottom of the top bunk. The sound of rhythmic breathing came from his wife as she slept with her head on his chest. He had been up for almost an hour thinking. The last few weeks have been busy. Most days were spent doing interviews and nights were spent on stage. Him and Rylee haven't argued much lately. They've been relatively stable. Sleeping in the same bunk has become routine again, something Matt was happy about. He had missed holding her at night. But even that will soon become difficult, as Rylee just hit her seventh month of pregnancy. They'll have to move from the bunk to the pull out couch in the back of the bus.

Stable. Stable was good! It's a start in the right direction. However, Matt wanted to move on from the stable stage. He's been thinking a lot about how to initiate the next stage. But he needed advice from someone with more experience, just to be sure. He can’t risk fucking up again. He lied there and thought a bit longer before it hit him. He knew just who to talk to. He gently moved Rylee's head from his chest. A weak groan slipped past her lips as she shifted closer to the wall. Matt grinned and pressed a kiss to her forehead. He quietly slid from the bunk and slipped on his flip-flops. He made his way to the very front of the bus.

"You're up early," said Greg, the tour bus driver. He took a sip of his strong black coffee before glancing up at Matt. Matt chuckled and sat in the passenger seat beside him.

"Couldn't sleep," he simply replied.

Greg nodded. Matt sat quiet for a minute, arranging his thoughts.

"You okay?" asked Greg.

He's known Matt for two years now and he's never the first one out of bed. Matt sighed and nodded. It was quiet again until Matt started talking.

"We're headed to Atlanta, Georgia right?"

Greg placed his mug in the cup holder, "Yup. My hometown!"

"Yeah, I know."

Greg glanced over at the younger man and squinted his eyes. Something was up.

"What’s on your mind, man?" he asked.

Matt let out a long sigh.

"I want to take Rylee and I's recovery process a step further. But I just don't know how or even if I should. I was thinking of taking her out on a date but I'm unsure of that. I know you're kind of experienced with this situation. What should I do?"

Matt looked over at the bearded, burley man hoping he'll help him out. He'll admit asking him for advice was weird. But Greg has been through a situation similar to his. 30 years ago he made the mistake of cheating on his wife. His wife, like Rylee, decided to stay with him. She was heart broken for quite a while but eventually they got back to a place where they could live happily with one another. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with breast cancer later on in their marriage and she lost the battle 10 years ago. Greg sighed and ran a hand through his silver hair.

"All marriages work differently. But, when a bump in the road occurs, the only way to smooth it out is time."

"But I've given her 2 months worth of time. Don't you think it's time we start moving forward?" Matt asked, getting frustrated.

Greg laughed.

"You gotta remember she's the one that needs time. Two months feels like two years to you because you aren't the victim. She is. Believe me, man, I know how you feel. It's torture when all you wanna do is love on your wife and she pushes you away. But when you cheat, given that they stay, you gotta pay the consequences."

Matt let what he said sink in. It made perfect sense. But what damage can a date do? None, right?

"So a date would be okay, right?" Matt asked, hopeful.

Greg kept his attention on the road, "I don't see anything wrong with it. But, like I said, every marriage is different. Take her out and go from there."

Matt smiled and nodded. All he needed was a tiny bit of reassurance.

"Okay, I'll do that. Thanks, Greg," he said, leaning over to pat his shoulder.

Greg chuckled, "No problem, Matt."

"Since you know Atlanta so well, where's a good place for a romantic dinner?" Matt asked.

"Rathbun's! It sounds weird but they have great food and service. It'll put a hole in your pocket but it's worth it."

Matt laughed. He didn't care about the price. He'd do anything to stitch him and Rylee back together.

_____________

The sounds of taunts and bickering woke Rylee from her deep slumber. She rolled over, expecting to bump into Matt. Instead, she came close to falling out the bunk. She darted back to the wall and let out a shaky breath. She sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bunk. She carefully slid down and held on to the rail as she put on her slippers. She hated maneuvering around the bus while it was in motion. She was naturally clumsy and very pregnant. Not the best combination.

“Hi, Ryles!” greeted Brian. He was sitting on Johnny. Rylee learned long ago to never question their antics.

“Hey, Bri. And hello, Johnny.”

Johnny mumbled an insult in return. Rylee rolled her eyes and made her way over to the cabinets. She gripped the counter and balanced on the tip of her toes, trying to grab a box of Lucky Charms. Just as her fingers grazed the box, two tattooed arms wrapped around her waist.

“What are you doing, missy?”

Rylee snickered, “Getting cereal.”

Matt turned her around and pressed a kiss to her lips. “I’ll get it for you. You gotta be extra careful now.”

Rylee pouted, “I am being extra careful, Matt.”

He laughed, “Go sit. Now!”

Rylee huffed and plopped down on the couch next to Brian and Johnny.

“Mornin’ baby Sanders,” said Johnny, rubbing her stomach.

Brian scoffed and slapped his arm, “It’s baby Shads, dammit.”

Johnny yelped and returned the slap, “She’s having a girl, dumbass. You can’t call the baby, Shads.”

“What the fuck do you know, Mr. four strings?”

“Fuck You! I-“

“Can you both shut the fuck up?” Rylee growled.

Johnny and Brian instantly piped down. They knew not to piss her off.

“Here ya go, Ryles.” Matt handed her a bowl of lucky charms. “And you two,” he pointed to his best friends, “Go bicker somewhere else.”

Brian groaned and grabbed Johnny by his ear, “Let’s go short shit.”

Once they left, Matt sat down next to her.

“Good morning, baby girl,” he cooed, kissing her stomach.

Rylee smiled and kissed his dimpled cheek.

“What time did you wake up?” she asked.

Matt yawned and lied back against the couch, “Around 6am.”

Rylee gave a nod and swallowed her bite of cereal.

“Couldn’t sleep?”

Matt thought before responding. Should he ask her out now? Or should he wait. Guess now is better than ever since he already made reservations.

“I was just thinking about something.”

Rylee continued to chew and signaled for him to go on.

“Um. . .I was thinking-“

he stopped and gathered his thoughts.

“We’ve been doing so much better lately and I. . .um-“

“Babe, don’t beat around the bush,” Rylee laughed.

Matt stuck his tongue out.

“Fine. Do you wanna go out on a date?”

Rylee stopped chewing and stared at him. She was shocked. They haven’t been on a date since tour started. Five months ago to be exact. Just as Matt started to intervene, Rylee asked, “Tonight?”

Matt perked up a bit, “Yeah. I made reservations for 7pm.”

She gave him a warm, genuine smile. “Sure! Why not?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Let me know what you think. And thanks for the comments, i really appreciate them. :)