Status: completed

Solitude Does No Good

v

After leaving Virginia, Micah had spent a few months recovering. He’d suffered more than he thought he had and worked on getting back as much of his strength as he could. Better, he’d decided to return back to his hometown and kept in the shadows as he looked for who he wanted.

Much to his surprise, she wasn’t the same.

Even today, he doesn’t know if seeing the fight had changed her or if something else had, but she wasn’t the same girl. Danika was much colder than she used to be, a shock for Micah. For four months, he followed her and watched her to see just who she was and tried to put pieces together. From that day on, Micah decided to keep an eye on Danika.

He told himself it was out of respect for Josh.

Micah had been there through the bad days, the good days, the friends, the losing of friends, the jobs, and everything else even if she hadn’t known it. Creepy as it was, he wanted to keep her safe. Even if Danika didn’t know it, there were a few times he’d intervened to turn a situation around. Danika had a way of stepping on toes. Something Micah admired and hated at the same time.

When she got the job in Alaska and took it, Micah prepared himself for the trip with full plans on following after her.

Only, he fucked up.

It had been one night when he decided to treat himself to something nice. It had been so long and Micah thought with the hour it was that he could have a good drink at the bar and be on his way. He’d shifted, changed into clothes, walked all the way across town, and plopped himself down at the bar. Micah had only had three sips of his beer when she came in.

He ran through the options in his head, but his back was to her so he stayed rooted in place while drinking his beer as fast as he could without bringing attention to himself. Danika was always observant though. He’d looked at the wrong moment, saw the flash of recognition, and he was out the door with her hot on his tail. Micah tried to find a safe place to shift but she caught him by the jacket.

Right there, they’d had it out. Loud and angry. Micah wasn’t sure either of them said real words but he’d caught that she figure out it was him who’d left the note and just left her without answers. He didn’t even bother asking what she remembered, just tried to deny it all and get away. Anyone who knows Micah is well aware that he’s one to get into arguments though. So eventually he snapped at her and pushed back.

That’s also how he fucked up a second time.

Micah let it slip that he’d been watching over her.

That started a whole new argument, ending in Danika going to her home and Micah shifted and staying in the shadows behind her house. They were both angry, tense, and hurt in different ways. Many times after that, they’d run into each other and an argument was always the product.

But sometimes, Micah did it on purpose.