Status: completed

Solitude Does No Good

vii

Micah followed Danika to Alaska six months after she’d left.

It had taken so long because Micah wanted her to think that he wasn’t going to go there. They were still angry with one another, always bickering over something the more they saw each other. One night things took a turn in a direction that neither of them saw coming.

It was only evident by a morning of nakedness and clothes thrown around the room. Micah had left as soon as possible, but he knew Danika had been awake when he walked out the door. After that, they didn’t run into each other and Micah let her go off to Alaska while he stayed in Virginia, running around the forest.

Six months was all it took before he traveled all the way up there. It had taken more time than he thought it would and he’d spent more time alone than he cared for, but he made it all the way to Alaska. Arriving, he’d stayed at a few places near the coast to visit and see the differences from his home. Soon enough, Micah made his way to the small town he knew she was going to be living at and made it his home.

He went a while without her knowing he was there. Micah helped keep people in line from behind the scenes—usually getting the drunk home—and kept an eye on the newcomers who’d made the town their home. Especially a pair of twins who Micah knew looked a life differently than most. There weren’t many people Micah was scared of but they were two of them.

The day Danika got hurt was the day Micah made his presence known. He’d been out hunting and was coming back to go to sleep in the abandoned building he’d made his home when he smelt the blood. It didn’t take him long to find Danika and the wolf came out from the shadows to save her life from the cold night and the blood loss.

The morning after, Micah had only meant to stay long enough to tell her to be more careful on the snowmobiles. His mistake of tacking on a whispered ‘stupid human’ got his ass in trouble and the arguing started once more. From that day on, it was like old times. They would arguing, one would stomp away, argue again, and repeat. It was the same cycle for them—but somehow they had a habit of ending up in bed together. One of the twins who’d come to know Micah on his visits often teased about it being how they show their love.

That always resulted in the twin getting shoved into a wall rather hard.

But Danika and Micah functioned together in their strange way. Micah looked after her and helped when he was needed, otherwise he lived in the mountains. Somewhere along the way, things had gone wrong. Always having anger issues, Micah had learned how to tame them when it came to his wolf. One day, things fell from his control and his fist came out before he knew what he was doing.

It took one hit and Micah left.

He shifted into his wolf and from that day on, he stayed a wolf. Soon enough, it was assumed by those in the town who knew about him that he was gone. It wasn’t until Danika believed it that he got closer to the town, staying in the shadows. He hated himself for what he did, but he couldn’t leave her. Even when she whispered alone one night in her sleep at the sheriff desk one night, he stayed away.