Status: completed

Solitude Does No Good

viii

His paws dug out most of the snow and managed the climb up the stairs and along the front porch balcony to the second floor apartment. He kept close to the wall, the rest of the porch covered in nothing but snow and he barely had room to make it to the door. When he actually made it to the door, the wolf stopped.

Why was he there?

He knew the truth. Micah couldn’t do it anymore, couldn’t be alone. His solitude had earned him scars in more places than he liked, given him more time alone with his thoughts than he liked, and looking on the outside in was proving harder than he thought.

Micah had kept it up for a year but now he wanted to go back to home.

Danika.

Whether he liked to admit it to himself or not, Danika was home to him. Whatever they had, it worked for them and he knew coming out from the mountains, coming all the way to her door was a bigger risk than he liked. For all he knew, she might kick him out, scream at him, or even leave the door unanswered. Still, Micah took the risk.

He shifted, the cold brushing his skin for the first time but did little to him thanks to his high body temperature. Slowly, his first came at the door and he knocked loud just in case she was in bed.

For a long time, there was nothing. Not a single light or noise and it worried Micah. He’d gotten no trace of her anywhere else but here so he knew she had to be home. Finally, there was the patter of feet and a light flipped on. Nerves hadn’t bothered him in a long time but they were biting at him as he stood there.

When the door opened, Danika was met with Micah.

Naked and defeated, he said the only thing on his mind and the hardest thing he ever had to admit.

“I need you.”