Status: In Progress

Indigo Sky

I Can Only Imagine

Chapter One: I Can Only Imagine
*Callie’s POV

I looked around the board room with new eyes. We had landed in LA less than 24 hours ago and after countless meetings with our new manager, our record label executives, and more that I couldn’t even remember their titles, we were meeting with an ‘image consultant’. I hadn’t even realized there was such a thing.

She was prattling on about how a band needed to have a cohesive image. There needed to be roles within the band that the public would understand. Like how the Pussycat Dolls stood for a sexy, all girl group and how the Spice Girls had a message and clear defined roles. I raised an eyebrow at Nikki, were we going to get labels? If so, I called Sporty Spice. Her lips twitched in a smile, probably thinking along the same lines I was.

Jo, our image consultant, was dressed herself in head to toe black with thick black hipster glasses on and her hair twisted back on her head. I just hoped we were going to have some control about what our image was going to be. I already thought we each had pretty cool style. I mean, I may not be the most fashionable of the group, but we were all pretty in the know with our style.

“So,” Jo paused, surveying us from behind the thick frames of her glasses, her eyes sharp. “If someone were to ask me to describe IndigoSky as a group, what would they say?”

Bree leaned forward in her chair. “That we’re a band, not a girl group. We play instruments, we don’t dance in synchronization.” She glanced down at Lex, “We have a lead singer, Lex could sing circles around the rest of us and I don’t think anyone of us have a problem saying that. You don’t need to worry about evenly splitting up the vocals on the tracks. She’s clearly the JT of this operation.”

Next to me, Nikki’s lips pursed slightly but she didn’t disagree. I know that she once had thoughts of being the lead singer of a group. But when she joined IS (Indigo Sky), she had to let go of that. Don’t get me wrong, we all sing. But Lex takes lead. She deserves it. Bree is right, she can sing circles around the rest of us. I think we all still remember that night the agent offered her a record contract and not the rest of us. He didn’t see the need for all of us, just her.

“Do any of you disagree with that?” Jo asked, one penciled brow raising slightly.

Lex looked down at us, her eyes searching between us. I shook my head. Nikki paused for a millisecond, and I was probably the only one that noticed that she did, before she shook her head.

“So what else? We can sell Alexa as the leader easily. That means that most of the time you will most likely be in the center of the pictures, so don’t take it personally girls. It’s a matter of perception. If I were looking at the cover of your album, what would you want it to look like? What audience are you shooting for?”

“I think we’re mainstream pop, with an edge. We definitely have a rock side to us, like pop punk. We grew up on Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, Good Charlotte, Avril Lavigne. I think they’ve definitely influenced our sound. But we want to reach a wider range of people.” I answered. I was starting to have a little more respect for this Jo lady in all black. She was asking our vision without just telling us what it would be, which is what I was afraid this meeting was going to be.

Jo nodded, pointing to her assistant, who was taking notes on a laptop. It’s kind of crazy to have someone take notes of things that you’ve said. “Good, I like it. Keep going. Alexa, what do you think?”

“We’ve definitely got an edge to us that sets us apart.” Lex said after a minute of thinking. “We want to be a bit different than the rest of the cookie cutter groups. Like Bree said, we’re a girl group but we want to be careful not to fall into that girl group trap. We write our own music, we have a style. Like Bree said, we aren’t about to coordinate outfits and get belly button rings and platform shoes and whatever else. I think the focus should be on the music and the lyrics. That’s what we pride ourselves on.”

Jo nodded, her eyes focused on Lex. “Can you stand up for me Alexa? I want to look over each of you and have some clothes sent to you. I also want each of you to make an appointment at Salon Eleven this week, ask for Angelo.”

Lex looked down at us with slightly wide eyes before she stood up. Lex is beautiful, I think anyone would notice that right away. She has long, dark hair and big dark eyes. And there’s something in the way that she holds herself that lets everyone know that she’s a bit of a mystery. Lex can be a tough person to truly get to know. I’ve known her since I was fifteen, so I know why she doesn’t let a lot of people get too close to her, but it’s there, in her eyes. Lex has a distinct style and taste. She wears about as much black clothes as our image consultant but in a different way.

“I like your look but remember that as the main singer, as the lead, you’re going to be the center of attention. You need to have a style that sets you apart and yet can appeal to the masses.” Jo pauses, her eyes sharp. “I’d like to get you set up with a trainer.”

“A trainer?” Lex repeats, her hand unconsciously touching her stomach. I know that she’s never been super comfortable about her weight. Lex is just curvy, she has natural curves that most girls would kill for, but she’s always on some diet or another. “You think I need to lose weight?”

“Not lose weight,” Jo said carefully. “But tone up a bit. I’ll look into it for you. Bree, your turn.” She motioned for Bree to stand and Lex sat back down, her dark eyes eyebrows still furrowed.

Bree got to her feet, grinning, and held her arms out to the side. “Whatcha got for me?” Bree has a naturally pretty face, sort of delicate looking, with what can only be described as a button nose and full lips. It’s funny, her natural hair color is blonde, and she has big blue eyes and probably looked like an angel when she was younger, but there’s something in the way she holds herself, or that hint of a smirk that’s always on her face, that hints that Bree is more devil than angel. Bree’s hair is currently a honey brown color and just past her shoulders. Bree has a style that’s all her own, lots of high waisted shorts and crop tops currently. I’m sure it will change tomorrow.

Jo’s eyes flicked from the stud in Bree’s nose to the tattoo on her wrist. One of the first things she did when she turned eighteen was go get a tattoo. I have no desire to ink my body, but Bree is fascinated by it. “Be careful with the tattoos. The public isn’t always forgiving to girls with tattoos. What you have right now is not too noticeable, but don’t get too out of control with it. In fact, if you could check in with us before you get any more so that we can make sure they’re appropriate.”

“Sure thing.” Bree agreed, smiling.

Jo pointed to Nikki, who got to her feet, smoothing out her dress as she did. “You’re the youngest?” She asked and Nikki nodded. “Be careful with the amount of makeup you wear. All of you. You’re a group of young girls. Sometimes too much makeup makes you look a bit older. You’re barely twenty and we want you to look your age.” Her eyes flicked over Nikki’s slim figure and dark hair. She looked around the group. “Also, I’d like to get some highlights in your hair, it’s almost the same shade as Alexa and we want to differentiate you two.”

Nikki’s lips pursed for a minute. “Okay.” She agreed.

“Last but not least.” Jo said, pointing to me. “Callie.”

I got to my feet as Nikki sat back down. I pushed dark blonde hair behind my ears, suddenly self-conscious. It’s weird to have someone evaluate you on the way you look and tell you how you could be better. “A blonde, finally.” Jo almost smiled. “Pretty. I’m going to give you the opposite advice. I think you need more makeup. And don’t let anyone change the eyebrows, I like them. They make a statement. As for your style, I’m going to have some samples sent to you and see what you like. I think you need to pick a certain style.”

Jo turned to Mark, our manager, and I sat down quickly, sharing a relieved look with Nikki. I had survived the evaluation at least. “Well Mark, I’ll get started. They’re in your hands now.”

“Thanks Jo.” Mark shook her hand before she and her assistant disappeared out of the boardroom without another word.

It was quiet for a second before Bree started laughing, and then we all just started laughing. “That was weird.” I commented when I could breathe again. “I mean, I never even knew somebody existed to tell artists how to look.”

“You guys got off easy. I’ve had her recommend plastic surgery to potentials before.” Mark commented, reaching for his phone. “But she’s the best.”

“You’re kidding.” The idea of getting plastic surgery, forever altering the way that you look to fit into some idea that a consultant has is wild to me.

“Not at all. Luckily, you four are all young and beautiful so we don’t have to go to those extremes.” Mark grinned at us. “Alright, that’s the end of the torture for today. You guys can head back to the house. Meet me in the studio at 9am tomorrow morning to start recording.”

Bree groaned. “How about 10?” She asked hopefully.

“I think I said 9, Bree.” Mark rolled his eyes. “But nice try. Try and go to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight and 9 won’t seem so early.”

She shared a look with Lex and I knew that they must already have some shenanigans planned for tonight. I sighed, I’m torn between wanting them to have fun and wanting to lock them in the house for the night. I know I’m not the manager and I’m not their mom but I think there should be rules.

“Get out of here guys,” Mark said, his attention back on his iphone. “Just for the love of God, don’t let Bree drive.”

We cracked up, because Bree is a horrible driver and LA streets are no joke. “What?” Bree asked innocently, “You’re saying most people don’t get a speeding ticket their first day in town?”