Status: In Progress

Indigo Sky

Who I Am

Chapter Three: Who I Am
Alexa’s POV*

I couldn’t really see out of the recording booth, it was pretty dark. But I was getting into the song and I could tell that Chris knew what to do with my voice, which was encouraging. We had pre recorded a single before we had gotten officially signed and it had been floating around the radio stations. It was picking up a bit of buzz, which had cemented our signing status with Mercury Records.

“That was awesome, Alexa. Why don’t you come out and take a break? There’s some people we want you to meet.” Mark said and I slipped the headphones off my ears, stepping away from the mic.

I pushed open the door back out into the main room and was greeted by clapping. I looked up in surprise, my eyes widening. “Hi.” I said, my eyes darting to Bree’s for a second before looking back at the three guys in front of me. “One Direction.”

“That was fabulous.” Harry said, stepping up and taking my hand. “I’m Harry.”

“Alexa.” I said back automatically.

“Sorry if we interrupted your recording,” One of the other members said, but I couldn’t take my eyes off Harry. “We actually came to hear a song we recorded here yesterday and we heard your voice. Are you a new artist here?”

Harry was still staring at me, which was making it hard for me to think of a response. He was beautiful, with dark curly hair and blue eyes. He was smiling at me, revealing a dimple in his cheek.

“Hi,” Bree said, coming to stand next to me, breaking the spell between Harry and I. I turned to quickly look at the other members of the band, which I’m pretty sure were Zayn and Niall. One Direction is one of the most famous bands in the world right now and they’re (well most of the band) was standing right in front of us. “I’m Bree, and this is Nikki and Callie. We just got signed as a group to this label. It’s our first day recording.”

“First day?” Asked Niall in a thick Irish accent. “That’s wild. You sound like you’ve been singing forever. What’s your band called?”

Callie and Nikki drifted over. I know Callie gets a bit shy but Nikki usually has no problem talking to anyone, which must mean that she’s starstruck, which it’s hard not to be right now.

“Indigo Sky.” Bree continued, a grin on her face. “Your accent is adorable.”

Trust Bree not to be nervous around anyone. “Well, thank you, so is yours.”

Bree just laughed. “I don’t have an accent. Unless you can hear the Chicago coming out, which would be just horrible.”

Zayn, who was standing in the back a little bit, was watching the whole exchange with big dark eyes. His eyes flicked from Bree to mine, and he smiled. I could feel that Harry was still looking at me, but I was oddly afraid to look back. I’m usually not a shy person and to be honest, I can be a bit of a flirt. But Harry Styles was intimidating.

“Chicago? How long have you been in LA?” Niall asked.

“Two days.” I admitted, my eyes inadvertently sliding back to Harry, who was still watching me.

“Two days? You don’t waste time, do you Chris?” Niall asked, laughing. “Second day in LA and you’ve got them in the studio.”

“Well, we’ve got a record to make.” Chris answered simply. “Speaking of, what can I do for you boys?”

“We were thinking about that song we recorded yesterday, They Don’t Know About Us. We think that might be the next single, but we wanted to hear it again. Can we listen to it?”

Chris looked over at us. “Oh, do you want us to step out?” I asked, sensing that perhaps this song wasn’t something that anyone besides the band was supposed to hear yet.

“No.” Harry said quickly, and my eyes flashed to his. He was still staring at me. He winked and my eyes widened as a smile twitched on his face.

“Do you want to hear it?” Zayn asked, speaking up for the first time. “We’d love to hear your opinion.”

“Of course.” Nikki answered, her voice just a tiny bit more high pitched than normal.

“Okay, let me just pull it up.” Chris answered, and he sounded amused.

“Seriously, you have an amazing voice.” Harry said, as we stepped closer to the sound board.

“Thank you.” I responded, smiling. “You’re staring, you know.” I said in a whisper.

“I know.” He whispered back, laughing. “I can’t seem to help it.”

I laughed, drawing everyone’s attention. Harry just smiled at me.

“Here we go.” Chris played the song and their voices filled the room.

Harry hummed along for a minute, his eyes still on my face. Even humming, I could tell how good his voice was. Sometimes I wonder if famous singers really sound like they do on their records. Like some singers are not as good live as they are on their recorded tracks. That did not appear to be the case with One Direction.

I took a step closer to the recording station, which also put my half a step closer to Harry, and tipped my head to listen closely to the words. I felt him come to stand behind me. “Almost as good as you, huh?” He teased.

I rolled my eyes, casting him a smile over my shoulder. “Almost.” I agreed as the song came to an end.

“Really good.” Callie said as the song ended. “It’s beautiful. You have great harmony.”

“Thanks.” Niall agreed. “Harry, mate, are you going to quit staring at her?” He laughed.

“Nope.” Harry agreed, the grin on his face spreading. “She’s quite beautiful, isn’t she?”
I shook my head, smiling, and heat came to my cheeks. I wasn’t really a blusher but Harry was quite charming.

Zayn shook his head. “Sorry about that, we can’t take Harry anywhere.” He flashed a grin of perfect white teeth.

“Well,” Niall clapped Harry on the shoulder. “We’ll get out of your hair now Chris, and get this creeper out of here.” He winked at me.

“Since you’re new to LA, you should come to our party tonight.” Zayn offered. “We’re throwing a little get together to celebrate the end of the recording for the album. That track you just heard was the final one.”

“Wow, congrats.” Callie offered, smiling.

“So, you want to come to our party? It’s at the house we’re renting.” Harry said, bringing us back to task. “You should come.”

Bree poked her head between the two of us, looking back and forth with a mischievous look on her face. “Are you inviting all of us or just Lex?” She teased.

“You can all come of course.” Zayn clarified, and Harry winked at me. “You can come too, Mark, Paul will be there.”

“Yeah,” Mark said casually. “I might stop by to make sure the girls are behaving.”

“Mark, you wound me.” Bree said with a sigh. “I am always on my best behavior.”

“Yeah, and that’s what scares me.” Mark muttered. “Can you wrap up the flirting ladies, we do need to finish this track today.”

Nikki poked my arm and I shrugged to Harry. “Guess I’ve got to get back to work.”

He fished in his pocket and deposited his cell phone in my hand. “Put your number in and I’ll text you about the party tonight.” He told me as my fingers curled around his iphone. “If you decide to come.”

I typed my number into his phone and handed it back to him. It was up to him now if he decided to contact me. I didn’t have any way to get in touch with him unless he texted me first.

“Well hopefully you guys decided to come tonight.” Zayn offered.

“We promise to keep Harry on a leash.” Niall added, laughing, pulling on his friend’s arm. “Thanks for letting us listen to the track and sorry for interrupting.”

“Not a problem, I’m sure the girls didn’t mind.” Chris replied, smiling.

“It was really nice to meet you girls, and hopefully we’ll see you later tonight.” Zayn told us.

“See you later, beautiful girl.” Harry said in farewell, like there was no option of whether or not I would be there tonight.

The boys waved and headed back out the door and we all just kind of turned to look at each other. “Did that just really happen?” Callie asked, laughing.

I turned to look at Bree, who was just grinning from ear to ear. “Okay, that was pretty cool.” She agreed.

“Girls, if you can get yourselves back under control, we’ve got to get back at it.” Mark said, looking around us in amusement. His eyes lingered on me for a minute. “Alexa, why don’t you take a break and let’s get Nikki in there.”

Nikki seemed pleased by this and I excused myself to run to the restroom, Bree hot on my heels. She caught up to me in the hallway, taking my hand and squeezing it. “That was probably the second coolest thing that ever happened to us.” She exclaimed.

“Second coolest?” I asked casually, trying to calm my racing heart. Harry Styles!

“Well, I still think getting signed is the coolest thing that’s ever happened to us.” Bree elaborated, and I could hear the grin in her voice. “Then again, I didn’t have Harry Styles staring at me like that.”

“That was weird, right?” I asked, turning to her. “I mean, what was that all about?”

“Lex,” Bree sighed. “He think your hot. Geez, you’ve been out of the game too long.”

I took a deep breath, examining myself in the bathroom mirror, big dark eyes stared back me. I fluffed my hair nervously. “I’m sure he was just flirting. He’s probably like that with all the girls.”

“Uh huh.” Bree said unbelievingly. “That’s why he asked for your phone number and invited us to their party.”

“Zayn invited us to their party.” I reminded, digging through my purse for my lip gloss.

“I don’t suppose you got a good look at Zayn since you and Harry could barely take your eyes off each other, but the boy is gorgeous. He’s kind of got that smolder thing going on. And I saw tattoos. You know I’m a sucker for tattoos.” She sighed dreamily before turning to stare at me. “We’re going to that party tonight, right?”

I shrugged. “If he texts me, I guess.” I resisted the urge to fish my phone out and see if he had texted me yet. No! I was not going to be that girl. Harry was just a guy, a very attractive, famous guy. But he was just a guy and I was not going to turn into a desperate girl, anxiously waiting for a text message.

“I can see you’re having some kind of internal debate, and if you want, I can keep hold of your phone for you until he texts you. That way, you don’t have to check if every five seconds.” She offered.

“Thanks, but I’ll keep hold of my phone, thanks.” I gave my reflection one last glance, before turning. “We should go back.”

“Of course.” Bree agreed, still grinning away. “I know you’re trying to play it cool, but admit it, that was pretty cool.”

“It was pretty cool.” I agreed, thinking back to that look on Harry’s face when I first saw him.