Status: NaNoWriMo

Quarantine

Embarrassment

There was starting to get more and more incidents of people freaking out and hallucinating something attacking them. It was all similar wolf-like creatures with very few variations of that wolf-man description. The looks of fear from most of the people were starting to become who was next and if it would happen to them. It just kept getting worse as each day slowly passed by. The people were packing in the small local hospital, asking for help and answers. Most of the staff were dealing with it themselves.

Dr. Michelle Raymond was one of the five doctors working that day. The waiting room was a little more packed than it normally would have been, and she really didn’t want to deal with this. Her daughters back home were dealing with the same thing, but not to the severity of what was going on, at least not yet. It was just small things that they saw out of the corner of their eyes, or that’s what they told Michelle.

“This is a mess,” a nurse said next to Michelle. She looked over to see Emilia wearing the usual nurses uniform of the hospital. “It’s like the whole town got sick at once.”

“Well, I think they did,” Michelle replied back. “Let’s just hope it slows down, right?”

The nurse nodded and headed for the door to let in another person. She saw one of the officers that had been sent over leaning against the wall. Her long blonde hair was pulled back in a bun, and the girl was facing towards the crowd of people in the waiting room. Emilia even noticed people standing outside with the other officer. She just hoped that they weren’t freezing or smoking. Emilia called back the next patient and led the person to the room.

Mayra stood in the crowd, not because she was sick, but because it was crowded in here with the most of the town’s population inside it. Abraham had thought it would be a good idea to have a few of the officers here to help keep the peace.

The people of Four Trees were usually calm people, but when anyone was afraid, anything is possible. There could be a riot or a person who decided to come in with a gun. Luckily, nothing like the worst case scenarios were happening, and Mayra was thankful for that. She liked it when it was just a dull assignment instead of an exciting one.

Mayra looked over when she heard the automatic doors open. She let out a heavy sigh when she saw Meredith walking into the hospital with a pen and a notepad in hand. She knew that she was here to talk about what is going on and what her theory that Blake had warned her about.

Meredith was already asking some of the people what they were feeling and what was going on. She was clearly pushing for information, and the people just kept telling that they didn’t want to answer any of her questions. Mayra walked over to her, knowing that Meredith shouldn’t be bothering these people and knowing that anything Mayra had to say was just going to go in one ear and out the other.

“Meredith, will you please let them be? I know that you want to get something for your newspaper, but this is neither the time nor the place to do that,” she said, looking at the chief’s niece.

Meredith looked at her, kind of shocked that Mayra said anything. “Well, the law says that I can interview anyone I want and where I want,” she said with a scandalous smile. “It’s a free country, Mayra.”

“It is a free country, but you are irritating people who are waiting to see a doctor. I’m sure that they don’t want to answer any of your questions for an article that will tell them what they already know,” Mayra said and waved a head toward the people who nodded in agreement. “If you want to ask them questions, please do it at another time and another place.”

“Well, maybe my theory would be something that they would like to hear?” Meredith asked, not bothered by anything that Mayra had said.

“About this disease or whatever it is was caused by an experimental pill? You can through that theory out because I highly doubt that the whole town would be taking the experimental drug,” Mayra pointed out. She was kind of happy to see Meredith look like a deflated balloon, and yet at the same time.

Meredith didn’t even realize that when she was rushing out the door to get here to interview the people. She was stuck on that idea, and now staring at Mayra in front of most of the town, she was embarrassed. She wanted to rip out Mayra pretty blonde hair and possibly more than that, but she knew that she would be arrested without any help from the chief of police. She also knew that if she wrote something bad about any of the officers, Abraham wouldn’t leave her anything.

Meredith didn’t have anything on Mayra to hold as blackmail because she wouldn’t ever convince her to tell Meredith anything about the cases that are going on. She was stuck in a place that she had never realized that she could be stuck at. She thought the only person that would be able to do this was Grim who practically heard everything she ever said.

Mayra watched as Meredith fought with her thoughts and looked so vulnerable in front of everyone. She was expecting the journalist to be running for the heels by now, but she was just standing in the middle of the room stuck in her thoughts with tears in her eyes. Mayra slightly thought that she broke her until she realized that Meredith was probably trying to think of ways to get back at her for making her look like a fool in front of the crowd. There wasn’t a doubt about it. Meredith was going to find a way to get revenge for this embarrassment whether Mayra liked it or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I'm hoping that you are enjoying this. I have written over 27,000 words and most isn't up yet. I'm so proud of myself. Hopefully today I will get to 30,000 words. Hopefully! Anyways, I hope you like this chapter. I don't know know about you, but I'm a little eh about Meredith.