Dreamcatcher

Success

It has become such a cliche to switch schools at the start of senior year that Jacob didn't even want to think about the lack of care people will show him. There’s always a new kid, a transfer, a student from out of state. No matter what year it is, there’s always that new student to excite the boring times of a small town graduating class.

“Do I really have to do this?” Jacob called to his father, Billy. “They’re going to place me a grade lower because of the transfer. Some classes don’t count the same there as they do on the rez, dad.” He was pulling his long hair into a ponytail, not willing to assimilate to the fashions of those who lived in the city.

Billy wheeled himself into the doorway of Jacob’s room, his face soft. “I know you've lost a lot this past few months, but you can’t keep moping around,” his scolding fell short when pity clouded his eyes. “You’re behind here as it is, so entering back into junior year won’t do you much harm.”

When Jacob dropped his hands to his side and didn't respond, Billy took that as his cue to leave. Once alone again Jacob shut the door and sat on the edge of his bed. How did I get here? he thought. How indeed. Just a few months ago he and Bella were working on motorcycles, she was calling him beautiful, and they were seeing movies together. Just a few months ago he had such a wonderful friendship with a girl he thought would never see anything more than a child in him.

He was looking at the reflection of his own russet skin in the mirror; skin that would make him stick out from those at Forks. Everyone would know he was from La Push. He settled on a flannel to go over the dark tee shirt he was wearing, and walked to the kitchen where Billy was reading the morning’s newspaper. “I’m heading out then, on the bike.”

Revving the engine before parking couldn't have caused any bigger of a scene for someone new. Trusting that no one in the small class of nearly 200 would steal it, he parked it closer to the front but made no attempt to secure it any further. Seeing someone who stood almost seven foot as the owner of a vehicle was likely to be security enough.

Picking up his schedule from the main office and deciding that his first class was down the hall in 13A took him all of five minutes. The long strides of his legs cut the walking time, but he also had no desire to admire his new school as most new students would. The bell had already begun ringing as he stepped in, handing over the sheet to a Mr. Whiteley who simply nodded and ushered him to the nearest empty seat. That was easy.

Much of the rest of the day continued on the same. While students seemed to either take caution due to his physique, others fawned over him; teachers simply went on like normal, probably taking his facial expression as a cue to do so. Final bell couldn't come any sooner, but just as last period was about to end a petite girl with wavy blonde hair and brown eyes brought in a call slip. “Black,” called Mrs. Miller, holding the slip out for him to grab. Shorter strands of dark hair had fallen out of the ponytail that had been tied perfectly that morning. Fitting of his mood. The girl who reminded him so much of Rosalie, and in turn, Bella, had brought his already low feeling even lower.

Approaching the office again he took notice to the fact that no one sat inside, not even the girl who had summoned him.Watching the small, red hand that counted off seconds on the clock wasn't his best idea - it just made time feel slower - but that same blank stare was one he had grown to hold over the past few months. Even as footsteps in the hall approached the door he didn't tear his eyes away from the clock, no doubt wondering if any second it would melt away and reveal that he had been living in a dream. The door squeaked open, but he still didn't look up.

“Ah, Jacob,” a man who much resembled Carlisle Cullen breathed, placing a hand on his shoulder. “We are so happy to have you here at Forks High School.” Falling into the conversation was natural; without noticing Jacob had followed the man into an office with a plaque that read ‘principal’ on it. “Your father called just after your enrollment and expressed some concern to me about your grades. He mentioned they were slipping last semester at your old school.”

Falling back into his stare, Jacob turned to looking at the bridge of the glasses the principal was wearing. When the man waved someone into the doorway, Jacob didn't look. “Since we have a very small class here it is our top priority to make sure every student gets the help they need,” the man didn't take a beat while looking through a manila folder. “I see here you are a very bright student, Jacob, and I’m sure whatever is bothering you is the reason for your slipping. However, since your father raised concerns we feel it is important to also see how you are doing.”

No beat was taken while plucking another folder and handing it to someone who appeared to be next to Jacob, who still hadn't dropped his gaze. “Sir, I’ll be respectful, though I don’t feel I have much to lose. But my dad called, he’s upset with my grades, okay. Why am I here; so you can let me know that you know this?”

Soft clearing of a throat to his left gave Jacob the chills, right up his spine. “If I may, sir?” As the principal nodded Jacob noticed the girl had a soft voice to match, and finally turned to be graced with her presence. Long, dark brown hair with eyes to match, and a soft, dark olive skin. When she smiled her features instantly lit up. “Mr. Brodie has assigned me to be your tutor until you get your grades up or until the end of the year. All of the classes you have are classes I've taken and gotten an A in, so don’t worry.”

A tutor, he thought. “That’s really the last thing I need right now. I live in La Push and I need to take care of my dad, and I really ca--”

She brushed a strand of hair behind her ear as she spoke, “I don’t want to impose on you, but I can always drive over.” Her smile was radiant, but he couldn't let that fool him. “I actually visit some friends in La Push, so it wouldn't be any problem for me.”

Jacob just nodded, defeat washing over him as Mr. Brodie cut in. “I can always call your father back and talk it out with him, but we both agreed that a tutor would be perfect for you. This is all the price of success, Jacob. And now is the perfect time to drop any bad habits you have developed and focus on school again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Prompt: Price of success.
Thank you to those of you that have recommended my story, and who have read it. I hope you're liking it.