Through the Eyes of Man and Beast

Hunted

"Quetzalcoatl, come away from the window, it's nearing day, you must stay inside."
"But father, why can't I?"
"No. You may only go out at night and only if I allow it."
"Yes sir" the young woman hung her head and looked back outside. "The sunrise is beautiful, I wish you could see it" She frowned as her father grew silent. He had become stone, as is the curse for all gargoyles. All but Quetzalcoatl. She cried out and held her sided as the sun rose above the mountains. He wings shriveled up and her tail vanished underneath her skirt. As painful as it was, it only lasted a few minutes. The young woman opened her eyes tiredly. They day gave way to wonderful blue sky with fresh air and dragons flying. Many creatures dwelled in the day. Griffons, dragons, unicorn, Pegasus, fairies and many more that humans consider a myth. So few dwell at night. The Griffons hunt, the manticores roam and the phoenix spreads it wings but only just before the dawn. Gargoyles could only be at night. It was a sad fate that Quetzalcoatl was not restricted to. Since her father was stone, she wandered the in the day. Concealing her humanism, she explored the light and beauty that her kind was denied.