My Nightmare

Glass Windows and Hurricanes

Surrounded on every side, they all did whatever it was they were supposed to. I uneasily watch as I try to ground myself. I am in front of wedding clothes, one golden silk cloth catches my eye on the pile.

Are these mine?

In my mind I speak out to reach my mother, beseeching her to tell me when my wedding is.

She replies, somewhere within the mist and the rocking boat cruise, that it is set for tomorrow.

With my emotions shocked I try to search myself to accept the relief of breathing deep. The boat is unsteady and listless and purposeless. Like me. The water somehow does not reach me from the room I worry in.

I feel the ocean rocking us, making me tremble more as I imagine my wedding. Realizing my mistake I call out to my mother, she calls back in an unattached voice and an unseen self. I ask her who my groom is to be.

She cries out his name and I dissolve into confusion. The boat turns almost into the water, threatening me every moment that I will never see tomorrow. I know the man, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I tell her I am not ready. I have not tried to make myself beautiful.

How did I say yes? How stupid of me to forget! What will he think of me?

I am in a building of glass. Beside the ocean now, I can watch as the horizon shows me a horror. Mortifies me. The hurricanes and tornadoes hold tight in a bundle under the continuous dark horizon spinning wildly and ever closer.