Status: Preparing to blow your mind

We the North

Excerpt

"Let's make a deal." Hudson smiled -- a normal smile -- at me. His eyes were warm and deep like freshly melted chocolate as he stared at me, daring me to match him. I watched warily as he cleared the space between us and carefully picked up one of the many empty wine bottles scattered around our bodies. He gently laid it on its side, careful not to break it, so the nose pointed at me.

We were sitting cross legged on the floor of his living room, there was nearly two meters between us, and that meant that he knew; he knew he made me nervous. I had only been in his cabin once before and it had been under completely different circumstances. Next to us the fire fed on dried wood, but the raging flames weren't nearly enough to fight off the thick cold of winter and I found myself pulling the wool blanket up closer to my blushing face.

I laughed trying to be as cool as possible. "The deal was I went on a date with you." He nodded slowly mulling it over in his head.

"New deal." He dared, his voice heavy with the Irish accent I had become so accustomed to hearing. I couldn't pull my gaze away from his as he spoke. "If it lands on you, I get to kiss you," he smirked, before rotating the bottle a hundred and eighty degrees so it faced him, "if it lands on me, I'll never bother you again."

The fact that Hudson was so willing to wager something like that was nerve wracking. Since I had met Hudson he had spent a lot of time trying to gain my attention, and now he was going to throw it away? The deal set cooly in my stomach, but I continued the charade of composure. "Ever?" I asked a small smile playing on my lips at the thought of the challenge and how hard Hudson would try to alter the results. He was out to prove something, that was for certain.

"If that's what you want, Love." He held my gaze for a while, that devilish look of mischief was gone and instead a soft tone laid on his face while his hands fiddled mercilessly with the bottle.

"Okay," I smiled, placing my hand over his warm one and beginning to turn the bottle, "deal."

His hand under mine was rough and nearly twice the size. I could feel the power radiating off of it because he could snap me like a brittle old elastic if he wanted to. He could end me, but instead he said that he'd rather fix me.

Together we released the bottle and when it finally slowed to a halt my heart stopped. It was like the whole world was going to end. Like everything I had been avoiding was about to fall from the sky in the form of snowflakes. And when I met his eyes I knew he knew.

He had known everything from the beginning, guessed it all somehow. It was like he knew me better then I knew myself. Like where I ended he began, and we were a seamless wave in the ocean, moving in simple harmonic motion and bending to the whims of plate tectonics. The moon was our saviour and we would bow to its mass whenever it asked.

And that's why the world was ending, but it was also why I couldn't find the strength in my legs to run. You can't run from home, but you can try.
♠ ♠ ♠
Twelve more days!
Leave your love <3

Listen