Status: Feedback would be nice. I'm not totally sure if I'll continue with this...

It's Nothing Special

Chapter 2

Another day, another really fantastic detention.
Joking. This was gonna suck; I knew it as soon as I sat down and slammed my bag on the table a little too hard for Hawk Eyes liking. She shushed me like a gun firing a bullet. For being like a hundred years old, the woman has impeccable response timing.
Sighing with as much energy as I could gather at that point, I looked ahead, directly in front of me to see What’s-His-Face take his seat two tables down from me. His eyes looked to mine as he did so and right before I looked away I realized they were blue. I stuffed whatever feeling was starting to appear; I didn’t care. Whoop-dee-do, blue eyes.
“Your detention starts now.”
I looked towards Hawk Eyes, watching her open the bookmarked page of some ancient romance book. I wonder if dust comes out of her cooch when she masturbates. Ew.
Wanting to think of anything else besides that, I slumped further down in my chair, head naturally turning back in front of me. It was then that, once again, I saw him staring. It wasn’t like he was wide-eyed or anything; it was just a stare. Just him watching.
But it was getting annoying really fast. I seriously didn’t want to spend another hour and a half dealing with this guy. I raised my eyebrow at him, feeling the top ball of my piercing against my skin.
“What?” I asked, my voice barely above mumbling-level.
He looked away even before I finished speaking, like he had been caught doing something. Whatever, god what a freak. My patience was seriously running thin—but maybe that’s just because of the day I’ve been having.
I quickly moved forward, leaning on the table without picking my butt up from the seat. More of a silent “What?” gesture than anything. He actually flinched, jumped in surprise at it, blue eyes widening for the first time.
Smirking, I relaxed back into the chair. What was I even worried about? This detention might actually be fun.

* * *

I lifted the pencil with my teeth, watching it rise up in the air before I slammed it back down on the table. I repeated this, continuing to match the clock’s ticking with the sharp taps of led against wood. I had the beat down pat, so it took awhile for Hawk Eyes to actually notice there was another sound in the room beside the overlord of every high schooler. Also known as the clock. Which is stupid, because it’s keeping me here for another hour.
I wonder if there was a way I could change it…
When Hawk Eyes did finally notice, she shushed me. I stopped with the pencil upwards, looking to her and making eye contact. I smiled a little and tapped the pencil again. Her face darkened in a glare and only made me grin more.
“Would you like to spend tomorrow afternoon here as well, Ms. Samson?”
My smile fell. I spit out the pencil and sat up away from the table. I glanced at that kid again, knowing he was looking at me before I even saw him. He didn’t look away instantly, waiting for a split second before looking back down to another magazine. Different than the one he had yesterday. And it was open to an actual article this time. Good; guess he’s learning.
An idea came to me; something to break my boredom streak. I acted on it instantly, keeping my eyes locked on him. I didn’t move, didn’t look away. I just stared, giving him a taste of his own creepy medicine. Eventually, after like twenty seconds ago, he looked up. Whether it was out of habit or he just felt my eyes on him, I didn’t know. I didn’t even care; the way he looked down so quickly made the plan worth it. What a weirdo! Why was he even staring in the first place? Why the interest?
I shoved down the feeling these thoughts shot into me, resolving to find out.
Quickly, but not quick enough to get Hawk Eyes attention on me, I unzipped my backpack for the first time in like weeks and dug around for some paper. There weren’t many things in there, mostly just food, so it didn’t take long to find a crumpled ball of lined paper. I picked up the pencil I was fooling around with before and flattened out the paper, writing one word near the top.
'Why?'
Balling it back up, I leaned over far enough to see the floor beneath the table. I rolled the paper like a bowling ball, watching it bounce like a stone skipping over water. It went through the spaces in between chairs, but surprisingly I overshot it, so the paper hit the small bookshelf directly behind him. It was enough to get his attention, though, so I guess I really can’t complain. He glanced at me, giving me one of those fleeting barely-looking-in-my-direction stares, before reaching down to pick it up.
I watched him unravel it, taking the time to be as quiet as you can while dealing with paper in a silent library. I couldn’t read his expression when he saw the note; his head recoiled slightly, as if he was shocked to see it. Glancing again at Hawk Eyes, he retrieved a pen from his messenger bag on the floor, clicking it open and beginning to write back. Whatever he wrote was pretty short, so it wasn’t long before he quickly rolled the note it back to me. But he sucked at it, and the paper ball hit the opposite end of my table. The furthest away from me.
I looked to him, making sure to bore a passive-aggressive stare into his eyes before I slid down in my chair, using my foot to reach as far as I possibly could and hook the paper to me. It took a bit longer than I’d like to admit; I was almost lying down on the chair and looking up at the underside of the table. So I’m a little bit short and I can’t reach that far, alright? Freakin’ sue me.
When I finally recovered the note and picked it up, I flattened it again, reading what he had wrote.
'Why what?'
That ticked me off. I quickly wrote back: 'You know what!'
I double-underlined ‘know’, really because he should know better than to be playing stupid. God, what an idiot! Who does this? Who actually in their right mind does crap like this?
I balled the note up again and sent it back his way, this time stopping it in front of the seat next to him. Just about perfect. Hell yes.
I swore his face went red when he saw what I wrote. He started getting nervous or something after, pressing the end of his pen to the table but not clicking it closed. He looked at the table, too, focusing on different spots of it real quick. Not once in this little weird nervous-fit did he looked at me, though, which was surprising. And then, finally, he started writing back. I watched his pen move, noticed how close his face was to the paper. He was being careful to keep his handwriting neat, make sure I could read it. Ha, what a nerd.
Okay, that thought I actually kind of felt like a little bit guilty for. Not much, though. It was forgotten when I noticed the paper rolling back to me, and I slid my foot out, stopping it from going past the chair beside me and into the aisle of books.
Again, it was a short message. But somehow it made me even more angrier than the first.
'Sorry…'
I felt like screaming. Was this guy just trying to make me punch him? What was his deal?!
I wrote one word back, drawing it big enough to take up almost half the page.
'STOP'
I rolled it back to him, not really even caring to take much aim. Miraculously, it landed close enough for him to grab it and I watched him open the paper up. Unlike before, he wasn’t shocked. He didn’t show any emotion, really. There was only a hint of surprise, a widening of those blue eyes. He looked at it for a long time, focus just staying in that one spot. He didn’t write back, and eventually just set the paper beside him.
He didn’t look at me for the rest of the detention.