Walls

No Idea

The beginning of junior year was when it all started I guess. It was the start of my twisted connections to him resurfacing, the boy who changed everything for me. I guess most of it was my own fault, but none of it would have ever happened if I had never met him. I was the quiet girl at school, and the reckless one everywhere else. But him? he was a troublemaker all the time. The day we met again was the day my life turned upside down.

I was walking down the street towards the school, the wind blowing my long blonde hair behind me. As I struggled against it, a car drove beside me and someone flicked a cigarette out of the window which landed on my black combat boots. Frowning, I looked at the car that was now driving away and could hear faint laughter. I kicked off the cigarette butt and continued walking until I reached the all too familiar Dulaney high school. It was early still, so the grounds were covered with students hanging around and chatting about their summer breaks. Ignoring all the mindless banter, I walked to the front steps and sat down on the front steps, pulling out my own pack of cancer sticks. Lighting one up, I glanced around to see the same familiar faces of all the people I knew I would never get along with. The smoke burned my lungs, but I was used to it at this point. It's only been 3 years of smoking. A strange but familiar voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and when I looked up, I was met with a pair of chocolate brown eyes belonging to a boy with disheveled brown hair and a crooked smile. There was a tattoo on his arm of some skeleton trick or treating.

"Those things are deadly you know." He sat down beside me and stared at it frowning.

"I am well aware, but it's my choice." I didn't know him, so why was he warning me off the one thing that kept me sane in this place?

"Well it's the wrong choice. You shouldn't have to be dependent on them." I stared at him in awe, wondering where he got the nerve to tell me this.

"Who do you think you are?" Suddenly, a grin appeared on his face and he extended his hand.

"Oh, I'm Alex Gaskarth. You are?" Once he said his name, I saw the other tattoo, the one of the skull on the side of his neck, and I sighed.This guy was something else, I guess he doesn't remember me. I had a short fuse temper and he was getting on my every last nerve. The bell signaling classes started in ten minutes rang so I let the remainder of my cigarette fall to the concrete at my feet and stepped on it to put it out. I stared back up at Alex and grinned.

"If you really wanted to know, you'll figure it out." With that, I got up from the stairs, turned around and walked away from him, towards the entrance of the school. I didn't look back to see if he was still standing there, I just continued walking. Once inside, I was greeted with chaos; nothing but groups of teenagers running around trying to find their lockers and classrooms. I already knew where to go, seeing as I've had the same homeroom for the past two years. It never really changed...until today.

Sitting in a spot in near the back corner, I put my bag on the floor beside me and started texting my best friend Lacey who goes to the school across town. The teacher, Mrs. Everett, began taking attendance while everyone was talking to their friends. I wasn't really paying attention, but there was one name she called out that made my head snap up.

"Alexander Gaskarth?" I looked around until I realized he was right behind me. Raising his hand, he mumbled out a 'here' and then rested his head in his hand, grinning at me. I glared at him and turned back around, seething at the fact he was in my homeroom class. How many more of my classes was he in?

"Give me your schedule Gaskarth." He pulled it out of his notebook and handed it over, with his eyebrows raised and a smirk on his face. What's he smirking about? He still hasn't figured out my name.

"So many classes do we have together?" I looked over his schedule and frowned. Fuck.

"All of them except French." He smiled, and kept smiling until the teacher called my own name and i slouched in my seat.

"Skylar Raine?" Raising my hand, I turned around, to see his reaction. His eyes were wide, his lips pressed in a firm line. Guess he remembers me now.