Walls

Jasey Rae

When he got there, he found his parents at the front desk, signing some papers, and Skylar next to them in a wheelchair. She grinned when she saw him, and he ran over to her, smiling.

"Whats going on?" His mom handed the papers to the nurse and smiled at Alex while a nurse started wheeling Skylar down the hallway next to them.

"I'm being released." She was excited to be leaving the hospital.

When they got to the doors, Alex's parents went to bring the car around, but Alex thought it would be more fun to give her a piggy back ride to his car instead so they agreed to meet him at the house. He carried her to the car and they drove to his house, blasting music all the way there. When they got inside, it dawned on Skylar that it was halloween.

"Hey are we still going over to Rian's tonight?"

"Only if you're feeling up to it" She sat on his bed and checked her text messages. There was one from everyone, asking how she was doing and if they were still coming tonight.

"Yeah I wanna go. I miss everyone. We need costumes though." Alex nodded and they started brainstorming ideas for costumes until a text from Jack came through saying that everyone decided to be batman characters.

"How about you be batman and I'll be batgirl?" Alex grinned and they decided to go to the mall to pick up the costumes, then head over to Rians.

--

When they got to Rian's, everyone was already there, dressed up and playing video games. Jack was Robin, Tara was cat woman, Rian was Mr.Freeze, Zack was the joker, Lacey was Harley Quinn, Kara was Poison Ivy, Kellin was the riddler and Vic was Bane. When Skylar walked through the door, Lacey ran over to her and hugged her, squealing with excitement.

"SKYLAR, YOU'RE ALIVE" Skylar wanted to laugh, but her ribs were already hurting.

"Dude my ribs are bruised." Lacey let go and stepped back.

"Sorry. How's the arm?"

"Broken." Suddenly, everyone was in the foyer wondering what all the commotion was.

When Tara saw Skylar, she pulled her into the kitchen, while everyone else went back to the games. Tara started pouring drinks and handed one to Skylar who took it happily. They sat at the table in silence for a few moments before Tara spoke.

"I wanted to say thank you for yesterday. You didn't have to go up against Vince for me." Skylar tilted her head to the side.

"Yeah I did. You're one of us now. We gotta stick together. I wasn't going to let him hurt you." Just then, Alex appeared in the kitchen, beer bottle in hand.

"Yeah, we go down together or we don't go down at all." Skylar looked up at him and laughed.

"What am I missing here?" Tara had no idea what he was saying.

"It's what we used to say when we were younger. It kind of became our motto for sticking together."
Tara nodded and Alex left the kitchen.

"I'm sorry you always have to stick up for me against him though. He's kind of a jerk." Skylar let out a loud laugh.

"KIND OF? He's the biggest jerk on the planet. What did you see in him anyways?" Tara shrugged and took a sip of her drink.

"At the time, I was like 14. I thought he was cool because he was older. Then I realized how dangerous he was. I tried to get out of the relationship but he would just hit me and call me a slut. If it wasn't for Zack finding out, I would still be stuck with him." She had finished her drink at this point and poured another.

"He hit you more than once?" Tara nodded. "Does Zack know?" She shook her head.

"Have you met Zack? If he knew it was more than once, Vince would be dead and Zack would be in jail."

"The police want to talk to me and might want me to testify against Vince."

"I'll go with you." She thanked Tara as they finished their drinks. "So how are you and Alex?"

"Better. I don't know why he chose me out of all the girls though." Tara started laughing.

"Skylar, seriously? You can't see it?"

"See what?" she was completely taken aback by Tara's laughter.

"That boy will do anything for you. He's practically in love with you." Skylar laughed too, and finished her drink, shrugging it off.

They walked back into the living room where everyone else was still engrossed in video games. Skylar sat on the floor at Alex's feet, and Tara squished on the couch between Zack and Jack. Rian kept having to get up to answer the door for trick or treaters. After a while, they finally decided to start watching horror movies, starting with A Nightmare On elm Street. Four movies later, everyone was drunk and spread out around the living room. They had started a game of Never Have I Ever and so far, Skylar and Lacey were the ones the most drunk.

"NEVER HAVE I EVER PISSED OUT OF A MOVING VEHICLE." Skylar watched as all the guys took a drink.

"Never have I ever...smacked a guy in the face!" All the girls took a drink, and then Jack smacked Alex and took a drink, which caused everyone to erupt in a fit of giggles.

"I felt left out. Okay never have I ever had sex on a friends bed." He smirked at Alex and Skylar, who glared at Jack and took a drink.

"Never have I ever been to jail?" Tara stated it as more of a question, having no idea what else to ask. Surprsingly, Lacey and Skylar both took a drink. Alex raised his eyebrows questioningly, but Skylar ignored him.

"Never have I ever had to pee so fucking badly." Everyone laughed as Jack got up and ran to the bathroom.

The game sort of ended after that, as everyone went back to the kitchen to make more drinks or went outside to smoke. Skylar was outside with Alex, staring at the stars that were shining above them.

"Hey you wanna go for a walk?" Skylar nodded and the opened the front door to yell out that they would be back.

They started walking down the street and ducked into a beaten path that led into a forest. They continued on the path until they reached a clearing and stopped. Skylar breathed in the fresh forest air and smiled. They were surrounded by a field of flowers, stars above them and the sky was illuminated by the moon.

"Skye? Do you trust me?" She nodded and stepped closer to him, leaning against his chest.

"Of course."

"I'm going to take care of the situation with Vince. I'm not going to let him hurt you again." She wanted to know how, but she knew better than to push the subject. All she wanted was to forget about everything and for this to be done with.

"Don't get hurt in the process. I still need you." Her words made him melt. He would do anything for this girl and she didn't even know it.

"Why were you and Lacey in jail?" Skylar laughed.

"It was more like Juvi. After you left, we got mixed up with some bad shit. We stole a car and went joyriding."

"You went to juvi for that?"

"Well we were drunk, we crashed the car and neither of us had a licence." Alex laughed lightly now, thankful that it wasn't anything too serious.

There was a silence between them, only the sound of crickets was audible. Skylar was staring at the stars, trying to make out the constellations. Alex grabbed her hand in his, intertwining their fingers.

"Skye? I know we've only been together for a day but I've been falling for you for a long time. This whole thing with Vince brought us together even closer. It's like we're fighting a war to save us. You have no idea how much you mean to me." Her phone started vibrating in her pocket.

"No I don't." He looked down at her, directly into her eyes. He wanted her to know that he means what he says.

"You mean the world to me. Skylar, I love you."

"I love you too?" It started to rain.

"No I mean I'm IN love with you. Always have been." She loved Alex, but she wasn't sure if she was in love with him yet. She didn't want to hurt his feelings, or ruin anything so she had to say something to avoid any awkwardness.

"Alex I -" She was cut off by Alex's words.

"No." And now she was confused.

"No?"

"I want you to mean it. I can wait. Don't make this easy." She had to smile now. This is why she loved Alex.

While she may not have been IN love with him, it didn't bother him. He knew she loved him, and for now, that was all he needed.

"I'll get there someday soon. I do love you though."

"I love you too."

He brushed her hair out of her face and planted his lips on hers. They kissed underneath the moonlight for a few minutes, until Skylar shivered from the cold and the rain.

--

When they got back, Alex pulled Jack aside.

"I wanna start up the band again."

"We dropped it because we couldn't find a bassist."

"Zack said he started playing a year ago" Jack rushed off to find Zack, dragging him back to where Alex was.

"So you're in our band now." Zack looked at them, wondering what they were talking about.

"What band?"

"We don't have a name yet"

"Uhh. Kay, what does everyone do?"

"I'm on guitar, Alex sings, and Rian plays drums."

"That makes me the bassist right? Got any songs?"

"A few old ones. Working on some new ones." Zack nodded and they continued talking before going back to the party.

--

A few months had passed, it was february now and still colder than ever. The band had been practicing in Rian's garage and were getting pretty decent. They had been seeing less of Vince considering he had been questioned by the police, but they knew he was still around. Alex and Skylar were closer than ever, but she still couldn't admit that she was in love with him.

It was friday and they were in music class, when Rian slapped Alex on the back, hard.

"Ow, what the fuck was that for?"

"Dude." Rian showed him the message on his phone from Jack.

"Holy shit." The girls were staring at them.

"Uh, guys?"

"Dress up tonight, we're going to a show." They shrugged and went back to doing their work, happy that they now had an excuse to buy new outfits.

--

After school, Kara drove to pick up Lacey and they all went to the mall to choose outfits. Skylar settled on a red halter top and a black snakeskin skirt. She also bought purple hair dye, wanting to change her hair for a fun effect. They ended up going to Kara's to get ready for the show and then she drove them to the concert venue, where they found Kellin sitting at the bar alone.

"Where is everyone?" Kellin shrugged and chugged the rest of his beer.

"Vic's backstage. Dunno where everyone else is."

Just then, the lights dimmed and a girl came on stage to announce the bands for the night. When she got off the stage, it went dark. A moment later, a catchy guitar tune started playing, and then a light on either side of the stage came on, revealing Jack and Zack. Skylar looked at Lacey, but she looked as shocked as Skylar was. The drumming started, and another light revealed Rian at the back. Kara was slightly shocked at this point too. Then Skylar heard it, heard the voice she knew all too well.

"I'm sitting here wishing for something that's missing.
I'm waiting for you to tell me that time keeps on passing
I'm hoping, I'm asking to stand by your side at least for tonight
let's follow through with this reckless dream that's tearing me up inside
and all the time we've been so innocent.

So don't you go I've got you where I want you and I'm never letting go
hit the lights we'll be all right, tonight our dreams come true
now lets take our chances, please give me your answer
it's all up to you so please take me away.
we've waited for so long, I can't say it feels wrong to close my eyes, when all I see is you"

Skylar stared up at him and smiled, and he smiled back down at her. She started getting lost in his music as they played a few more songs.

"So, this is our first gig. I'm Alex by the way, this is Jack, Zack and Rian." The girls started cheering. "And we are All Time Low. This is our last song, and its a special one." And then he sang his heart out, staring at Skylar the entire time.

"Lights out, I still hear the rain,
These images that fill my head, now keep my fingers from making mistakes.
Tell my voice what it takes, to speak up, speak up,
and keep my conscience clean when I wake.

Don't make this easy, I want you to mean it, Jasey. (say you'll mean it)
You're dressed to kill, I'm calling you out, (don't waste your time on me)

Now there's an aching in my back; a stabbing pain that says I lack,
the common sense and confidence, to bring an end to promises,
that I make in times of desperate conversation, hoping my night could be better than theirs in the end.
Just say when.

Don't make this easy, I want you to mean it, Jasey. (say you'll mean it)
You're dressed to kill, I'm calling you out, (don't waste your time on me)

I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar,
I've never made a bet, but we gamble with desire,
I've never lit a match, with intent to start a fire,
but recently the flames, are getting out of control.
Call me a name, Kill me with words,
Forget about me, It's what I deserve,
I was your chance, to get out of this town,
but I ditched the car, and left you to Wait outside.
I hope the air will serve to remind you, that my heart is as cold as the clouds of your breath,
and my words are as timed as the beating in my chest."

Once he finished, the lights dimmed again and they walked off the stage. Skylar went to go find him, searching everywhere. Eventually, she found him outside, leaning against a brick wall in the parking lot. Nobody else was around, so she went up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck and brought him into a deep kiss, filled with passion.

"That was amazing." Alex grinned and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Glad you enjoyed it." She smiled and leaned into him, breathing in his scent. She closed her eyes and realized that he had written songs about her and that she was head over heels in love with this boy. She looked up at him.

"Alex? I'm in love with you too, I just couldn't admit it to myself."

"Why not?" She bit her lip and closed her eyes.

"I didn't want to get hurt again." He hugged her closer and kissed her forehead.

"I won't hurt you, ever. I promise." She frowned, wanting to tell him about her ex, but she knew she couldn't so she held it back.

They went back inside, and watched the rest of the bands play. Once it was over, Alex drove her back to his house, where they went straight to his room, lips locked the entire way up the stairs. They left a trail of clothing leading to his room. His parents were out of town so they were alone, and that's all they needed to let their hormones get the best of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
blah. I accidentally erased half of this chapter so when I rewrote it, it wasn't what i wanted. Damn my idiocy.