Can't Live My Life in Yesterday

Chapter Three

Emeline stirred awake, rubbing her eyes and trying to remember what had happened. She tried to move her arm, but groaned in pain. She glanced down at her shoulder, and the sight of bloody bandages brought her memories rushing back. She shot bolt upright, staring franticly around the room before grasping her injured shoulder.

“Fucking hell,” she mumbled as she stood up.

“Nice to see you awake,” came Lee’s voice from the doorway. Emeline whipped her head around.

“Lee!” she exclaimed, smiling at the familiar face. “What happened? What’s going on? How long was I out?” Lee chuckled, ushering for her to sit down again.

“It’s only been a day. And ye were great,” he said, patting her lightly on the back before peaking at her bandages. “We got out with what we went for, but we couldn’t find ya.” He cast a worried glance over at her. “Next thing we knew, we say ye and that bloke floatin’ in the wreck.” Emeline jumped up again, ignoring the pain in her shoulder.

“What happened to him?” she asked, talking so fast her words seemed a bit slurred. Lee gave her a wary look. “Lee, what happened?” He sighed, knowing exactly how she’d react when he told her.

“Yer father had him thrown in the brig.” Lee barely had time to finish speaking before Emeline dashed out of the room and ran to the brig. The room was dark, with only a candle to light the dark room. She entered the room slowly, eyeing the outline of the man in the cell.

“Hello?” she said quietly, holding her breath.

“What do you want?” came a groan.

“Uhm. I just never got to thank you for saving me,” Emeline said, taking a few steps further into the room. She heard the man moving around in the cell and hesitated a little.

“My apologies, miss,” he said in a much more respectable tone. “I didn’t realize it was you.” She smiled at his crisp accent and manors; that was something she wasn’t used to at all. She walked up to the door of the cell and saw him standing on the other side, peering at her with curiosity. “I believe I should be thanking you, as well, seeing as you returned the favor.” Emeline chuckled a little.

“Well to be fair, it was us who put you in danger in the first place,” she countered. She saw the man frown.

“You’re one of them?” he asked, an undertone of dislike coloring his voice. She smirked a little in return, and then nodded; men never thought she was more than a little girl. “I’d never have thought it,” Benjamin murmured, looking her over.

“It’s not a life I chose for myself,” she mumbled, shrugging again. “Just the life I was born into.”

“How exactly does that happen?” he countered, leaning against the cell. Emeline pointed upward.

“My father is the captain,” she replied simply. Benjamin nodded.

“That explains why he wanted to blow my head off when he thought I’d hurt you. How are you doing?” he asked, glancing at the thick bandages on her shoulder. Emeline forced a smile.

“It smarts, but I’ll live,” she said nonchalantly. Benjamin chuckled, causing her to frown. “What’s so funny?”

“You really do act like a pirate,” he responded, his lips curved in a crooked smile. Emeline couldn’t help but smile with him.

“I never got your name,” she said softly, leaning against the outside of the cell.

“Benjamin. Benjamin Hooper,” he replied in a dignified tone. She nodded, realizing who he was but not commenting on it. “But you can call me Ben.” She smiled at his friendly tone. “And your name, miss?”

“Emeline Cox,” she answered in a chipper tone. Benjamin smiled widely, dimples forming at the corner of his lips.

“I’m glad to have met you, Miss Cox,” Benjamin said, bowing his head a little to show respect. Emeline was flustered.

“You don’t have to call me that,” she stuttered, unsure of how to react to such civil behavior.

“I see you’ve met our prisoner, Miss Emeline,” came a voice from behind her that made her stiffen.

“Why is this man in here, Firth? He saved my life, he doesn’t deserve this!” Emeline whipped around, looking up at the first mate. Jasper walked toward the man, giving him a dirty look.

“This man is the enemy, he’s the heir to a large merchant empire. Having him aboard could come in handy,” Jasper replied, smiling at Emeline, who rolled her eyes.

“Yes, I’m quite aware of who he is and why he’s valuable. But it’s not like he really has anywhere to run, and let me repeat: he saved my life,” Emeline said in a more impatient tone. Jasper cocked an eyebrow at her, stepping closer.

“You’ll have to take that up with the captain, Miss Emeline,” he replied. “I’ll be glad to escort you seeing as you’re in no condition to be straining yourself.” She had to resist jerking away when he hooked their arms together. Emeline turned, placing a hand on top of Benjamin’s. “I’ll be back.” She turned and left the room, ascending the decks with a little help from Jasper when she had to climb. When they reached Ezra’s quarters, she pounded on the door, barely waiting for the reply to open before slamming it open. Ezra looked up from the maps on his desk, a smile breaking over his face.

“My love,” he murmured, extending his arms to embrace her, but she stopped short of him, frowning and placing her uninjured arm on her hip. Ezra looked taken aback, eyes jumping between Jasper, who had entered and closed the door, and Emeline’s angry expression. “Are ye alright?” he asked tentatively, knowing his daughter had quite the temper.

“Why did you throw him in the brig, father? Why are you treating him like scum?!” Emeline asked incredulously. Ezra frowned.

“He’s one of them,” he began, but Emeline cut him off before he could say anything else.

“Father, he saved my life! He saved me from being shot in the head by one of the officers during the raid. He doesn’t deserve to be treated like a dog!” Emeline became angrier with every word she said, her voice rising to match. Ezra looked floored by the girl in front of him.

“My love, I didn’t know,” he replied, beginning to feel a tinge of remorse for his rough treatment of Benjamin.

“I told you that!” she half-yelled, even angrier than before. Ezra approached his daughter with a hard look on his face. Emeline’s anger was cut by a sudden dash a fear.

“Ye were delirious,” Ezra said in a serious tone. “Ye were bleeding, and I didn’t know what happened.” The fear rose with every word her father spoke to her. Yes, he was her father, but he had limits. “Don’t ye dare speak to me like that again,” he growled. “I may be yer father, but I am also yer captain.” Emeline felt the anger drain from her body, fear taking its place. She nodded in response as he glared down at her. “Firth!” he said loudly, making her wince. “Go free the man, but tell ‘im if he does anything, he’ll be back in that cell. Or worse.” Jasper nodded, leaving the room. Ezra sighed, turning to his daughter, who was trying to hide her trembling. “If ye weren’t a woman, I would have struck ye there and then and taught ye a lesson,” he said quietly, looking his daughter in the eye. She nodded silently.

“I’m sorry, I know I was out of line. I shouldn’t have shouted and disrespected you that way,” she said in a steady voice. “I want to take full responsibility for my actions.” Ezra nodded, turning back to his map. “I have a request, Captain,” she asked timidly. Ezra raised an eyebrow, but let her speak. “I’d like to take charge of the prisoner. It’s my fault that he’s here, and I’ll keep him in line.” She held her breath as he thought about her request.

“He’ll be in yer charge,” Ezra replied, standing and walking to his daughter. He frowned at her, placing a hand on her uninjured shoulder. “Take this seriously. If he does anything or if anything happens to him, it will fall back on ye. I’ll hold ye responsible like I would any member of this crew,” he warned her. She took a deep breath and nodded, accepting the responsibility she felt fell to her anyways. Ezra gave her shoulder a squeeze before turning back to his desk, dismissing her. Emeline walked to the door, turning back before she exited.

“Thank you, father,” she said with a soft voice before closing the door. She took a deep breath, leaning her back against the weathered wood. That wasn’t how she wanted that conversation to go, but at least it ended well.

“You seem very interested in this prisoner, Miss Emeline,” came Jasper’s voice, making her jump. He chuckled at her response, making her frown.

“I owe that man my life, despite who or what he is,” she stated simply. “If he hadn’t, he wouldn’t be stuck here. The least I can do is take responsibility for him.” She eyed the keys in Jaspers hand, extending her hand in a silent demand for them. He shook his head, eyes dancing with mischievousness.

“It is my duty to release the prisoner. Feel free to join me,” he smirked, extending his hand to take hers. She rolled her eyes, but placed her hand in his and accepted his help climbing down the decks to the brig. She grabbed a lantern from a storeroom.

“Ben?” Emeline asked as she entered the room. She heard him stir and his figure came into view. She walked up to the cell door, looking into the tired, green eyes of her rescuer. She frowned as the light shown his face in more detail. “You look… tired,” she mumbled, trying not to sound offensive. He forced a laugh, leaning against the front of the cell.

“Well the accommodations here are a little lacking,” he chuckled, trying to make light of the situation. “Although, you’re a sight for sore eyes.” Jasper walked up behind her, putting a hand on her shoulder. Ben’s eyes clouded over, and his expression darkened.

“Hello again,” Jasper said with a smile, tossing the keys up and down in one hand. “You should know that you’re only being released because she’s putting herself on the line for you.” There was something in his tone that suggested trouble. She saw a struggle flash through Ben’s eyes, then snatched the keys out of Jasper’s hand.

“Yes, you’re in my charge,” Emeline said, glaring at Jasper as she fumbled with the lock. “But as long as you don’t do anything stupid, we’ll be just fine.” Jasper’s hand closed over hers, and her eyes darted back to his.

“I think you need to rest, Miss Emeline,” he said, bending over so his lips were near her ear. She looked up at him, frowning. “You’re in no condition to be taking care of a prisoner.” She hated to admit it, but Jasper was kind of right. She was weak, and if he had the urge to run she wouldn’t be able to stop him. She looked back at Ben, most of his face blocked by the shadow of the cell bars. She curled her other hand around the bar by his, her expression sad.

“I’m sorry, Ben,” she mumbled, feeling extraordinarily guilty. She hadn’t been able to come through with her word, and even though she didn’t think he would run, she couldn’t afford to take the risk. He nodded, his pale, freckled face glowing in the low candlelight.

“I understand,” he said quietly, bowing his head. She gave him a sad smile, and he pressed his lips to her hand in a gesture of respect. Emeline didn’t mean to blush, but no man had ever kissed her like that.

“I’ll be back tomorrow,” she promised before turning and leaving the brig, Jasper following swiftly behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a loooong chapter, hope you enjoy!
Please tell me what you think. Comment/subscribe. ❤
xoxoMel