Status: In Time

To Caress My Day

Chapter 265: Welcome To The Jungle

The brief period of respite and joy just had to be short-lived much to Twig’s dismay. Like a bucket of ice water unexpectedly being pitched onto a person, the ambiance in her apartment became sober as the issue of her mother’s condition was brought up. Understanding that she needed to update her friends, Neon Jungle, on the latest development but not wishing to, Twigs lowered her eyes to the rug underneath them all and tried to form the news together. Sporting a red loose bra top over an ash gray sports bra, a gray zip-up hoodie with its matching knee-length shorts, and thick white socks, Twigs cleared her throat as she fiddled with her sleeves. “The uh…the Doctor couldn’t give us a precise diagnosis when they did my mom’s biopsy. They suggested that the next step to take would be to go ahead and get a Thyroid Lobectomy.”

Shereen wasn’t sure she had the full picture of what a Thyroid Lobectomy was, but her instincts had an inkling and the image was enough to make her gasp. She curled her hand around her own throat as she recoiled. “Oh god, does that mean…they have to cut your mom open?”

Twigs would never get used to hearing the term Thyroid Lobectomy without shaking in fear of it and what it meant. As her body shuddered, she managed a nod before swallowing past the growing lump in her throat. She didn't want her voice to crack and expose both her fears and vulnerability. Just for tonight, she needed to have a breather from this cancer concern yet at the same time she felt selfish for yearning for one. “I-It’s just a small incision really.”

The correction that this procedure involved just a SMALL incision didn’t lessen the troubles consuming Neon Jungle. Hell, they weren’t happy that it had all come down to this! An essential incision on the woman they’ve known for years, their best friend’s mother! Hands curling into fists on their laps, the girls all sat in silence, inwardly screaming and rioting over this horrible adversity that had befallen the sweetest woman on the planet.

Because she was the one who embarked alone on questioning Twigs on her mother’s state, Amira felt it was only her responsibility to raise everyone’s morale now that it descended. Changing the topic as gently as she could, she smiled softly at a somber Twigs as she lightly poked her in the arm. “Hey, guess what? We have good news to share with our favorite person in all of Europe!”

“What is it?” Twigs asked faintly, her brows raising with curiosity as she glanced between each of Neon Jungle, awaiting any answers. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing special, girl.” Jess teased Twigs with a radiant grin that could surpass the sun. “Just our third single being released today is all.”

Vaulting head first into that reservoir of distraction bestowed upon her by Neon Jungle, Twigs let out a squeal of excitement. Flinging out her hands, she grasped Shereen’s and Asami’s to give them a hearty squeeze. Then her brown eyes zoomed to her TV that was faintly belting out tunes on the music channel. It dawned on her then that this was all planned out. “Wait, is that why you changed the channel?”

“Yup. It’s supposed to be on any minute now.” Asami verified, checking the time on her phone.

“What do we do until then? Just sit around and wait?” Twigs groaned impatiently, a childlike pout on her face where a smile of pride once was.

Unexpectedly, the doorbell rang. Throwing up her hands, Amira proclaimed to the apartment. “SUSHI!”

Simultaneously, both Shereen and Asami leaped to their feet like the building was abruptly on fire, except instead of making their getaway they took off for the food waiting on the other side of the door. As soon as they were out of sight of the living room, Neon Jungle’s new single was being announced by the host on the TV. Eyes widening, Jess snapped her head in the direction of the front door and hollered out to her two band members. “Yo, you guys, hurry up! Our song is coming up right now!”

Racing back as if their lives depended on it, Shereen and Asami both rounded the corner with four plastic bags holding sushi in each hand. Lowering themselves back down onto the rug, they set all four bags in front of the TV as their music video began to start, blindly hanging out cartons of assorted Sushi among each other as their eyes locked onto the screen. Especially proud Mother Twigs, she was committed to absorbing every second of their video.

The music video starts out with a black screen before lights begin to flicker through a cut out of the signature ‘Neon Jungle’ etched in the center of the screen. It kept getting brighter as the rest of the background brightened into a dark foggy forest at night. The beat began as the video transitioned to the blurred figures of Shereen and Jess trekking in the woods followed by Amira and Asami as Amira sang out. “Tonight I’ll hunt you down. Boy, can you make me growl with the wild things on the prowl?”

They were headed in the direction of blinking rave lights ahead with coats and backpacks on. Shereen lowly sang the name of the song three times in a row. “Welcome to the Jungle.”

Somewhere in the woods by a roaring fire are male contortionists, twisting their limbs in abnormal angles and directions while the girls make their way to their location. When they get there the camera pans over what looks to be the interior of a huge deserted structure in the woods somewhere where a bunch of lights are set up to hang low from the ceilings, along with some chairs and a couch placed in front of giant speakers. As the beats begin to drop into the beginning of the song you could see all of Neon Jungle posing. In all bright red, Jess is draped over the couch with her blonde curls on voluminous display and her makeup modest. She wore a matching set consisting of a tight pencil skirt, a tube top underneath some red fishnet over the full outfit, and red high-heeled shoes. Always natural and never one to stand out, Shereen wore a black short-sleeved top with tiny pearls of mixed sizes sewed all over it, matching black shorts, and black and white chunky heels. Her makeup was very subtle and her black curls were out and free as always. Also taking the minimal route was Asami who had worn her hair light blue at the time of filming. It clashed with her outfit which was also all red in a cropped top, short skirt, and a matching jacket. Her tall white boots added contrast along with her frilly ankle socks. Amira went with sporting her braids out and had even lightened her hair which went well with her light makeup. She wore her big black platform shoes with a matching pair of shorts and top under a button-up jacket with a sheer white material stitched to the inner hem of it.

Illuminated by the lights, Neon Jungle looked amazing!

The group sang in this degraded building during their first verses. When they began to sing the chorus once more, there were these bright colorful lights behind Amira as she sang, making Twigs wonder if they were in the same site as they were before. The contortionists were then on the screen by the fire, but this time Neon Jungle and some other people were there watching them along the sidelines. When Shereen said ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ again the video transitioned to what looked like a rave laser light party. The camera slowly made its way into it from the outside. Twigs had no idea if this indoor area was a part of the same structure as before but it’s not anyone really cared. People were dancing as the beat built up to the chorus again, jumping and spinning with bursts of fun in their actions that made Twigs wish she had been there to join in.

When the beat dropped again this time, Neon Jungle was back in the same clothes they were wearing when they first ventured into the woods to attend this hidden rave party. Underneath Jess’s oversized white zip-up jacket was an all-white outfit consisting of white shorts, a sleeveless cropped corset top, and big gold bamboo hoops in her ears. Always blinged out in gold, Amira wore a thick heavy gold Cuban chain around her neck, gold hoops, and a cap on her head. Her jacket was a maroon red on the outside but white on the inside, underneath it was a white crop top with white netting over it and some dark jeans. Under her oversized green jacket with white flowers and gold on the inside, Shereen wore a white sports bra with her high-waisted green shorts with white polka dots on them. Also rocking a sports bra, Asami matched it with her leggings underneath an oversized striped button-up black and white top followed by a lengthy brown sherpa coat. At this rave party, the girls danced and sang in a sea of partiers.

Then it was time to rap, signaled by sparks flying into the air. Out in the dark woods were only Amira and Jess. Amira started first wearing an all-white suit jacket with a white bra underneath, her gold thick Cuban necklace, and a white sun hat. Jess wore all black in a leather bra and matching bottoms. When the duo wrapped up their rap verse the video returned to the party where everyone resumed partying and singing til it was all over Neon Jungle was back posing in that one room looking like that Queen they were, and it made Twigs have to fight back tears of pride.

“So, what do you think?” Asami inquired to Twigs, her eyes filled with anticipation that mirrored Neon Jungle's.

Twigs couldn’t think of any other way to fully convey how she felt other than to let out a scream of excitement like some Backstreet Boys fangirl. Neon Jungle decided to join in, throwing their heads back and throwing their hands up in the air until they all broke down in laughter. With her short arms, Twigs tried to assemble them all close to her in a bear hug while sniffling back tears. Scooting closer, Neon Jungle embraced her right back as a group, hoping it would show their thanks to her for her everlasting support and love.