Accidentally Famous

Explanation (I'm Sorry)

I am famous for nothing. It’s an epidemic in America. I have very had average accomplishments in the past twenty-one years. I graduated from high school with a 3.7 GPA, and participated in few extra curricular activities beyond volleyball and band. I had an after school job in retail, where I folded shirts and worked a cash register. I had a group of friends who laughed and cried with me, who sometimes talked about me behind my back, who were average in all ways. I did nothing exceptional or noteworthy. I did not volunteer. I did not advocate for homeless youth. I did not graduate top of my class and give an inspiring speech about reaching for your future and being the best you could be.

I did not go to college. I followed in my mother’s footsteps, jumping into her line of work because the door was open, and I wasn’t sure what else to do. Eighteen is too young to decide on your future. Twenty-one is still too young. I am lost, and I am waiting to figure it out.

I have done nothing special. Yet still, cameras follow me everywhere I go. I am a familiar face to most of America. People know details about me from a simple online search; there are websites dedicated to worshipping me in a cult-like manner. I have done nothing special.

I am, accidentally, famous. My mother was the most famous supermodel of the 80s, who later moved into serious acting roles and earned herself three Oscars and a husband of like talents, one of the most well-respected actors of his generation.

They had sex and my mother gave birth to me. For that, I am known around the world.

For that and nothing else.