Royal Flush

three.

Image

The next morning Jonathan woke up in a better mood then he had been in a while. As much as he had dreaded last night, it had turned out pretty great. He was really happy that he had found someone who wasn’t really expecting anything to come from this marriage. Both him and Victoria were going into this marriage with the purpose of getting their parents off their backs. It was just like two friends helping each other out. And who knew what the future held. Maybe one day they would even end up falling in love with each other. But before that could even happen there was a whole relationship that needed to be planned out.

Humming softly, Jonathan strolled through the hallways, smiling and nodding at everyone he passed. He just wanted to share his good mood with everyone else. It was a relief off his back to have found someone to be his wife that he actually liked. He kind of wanted to tell everyone about it, but he knew that he couldn’t. At least not yet.

First, they had to plan out the whole story that they were going to tell people. And he was currently heading to a meeting to figure that out. After the party last night, he had told Abby about the girl that he had chosen for this fake marriage and apparently Abby had been able to set up a meeting for that day so that the three of them could meet up and talk about exactly what was going to happen. It seemed to be moving pretty fast, but Jonathan knew that they had to move fast.

“Hey Jonny! Wait up!”

Jonathan paused, the smile on his face dimming slightly when he saw Patrick Sharp jogging over to him. He liked the man well enough, but he was pissed that Sharpy had told Patrick about him looking for a wife.

“You look like you’re in a good mood,” Patrick commented once he had caught up with Jonathan.

“I had a good night last night. So yeah. I am in a good mood.”

“You had a good night too? Amazing.”

“Who else had a good night?”

“Kaner.”

Jonathan rolled his eyes lightly. “Like that’s anything new. He always manages to have a good night. I just wonder if the girl would say the same thing.”

Patrick frowned slightly. “He says that things are different this time.”

“What? Did he get the girl to stay until the morning?”

“Kaner was right.”

“Right about what?”

“You’re being a dick,” Patrick answered.

Jonathan groaned softly. “He told you about the fight than, huh?”

“Yep.”

“You know that I didn’t really mean the stuff that I said to him. I promise that I’ll talk to him and apologize for the fight.”

Patrick stayed silent for a moment before he was nodding his head. “Good. I hate when you two fight because somehow I always end up in the middle. And half the time you two fight about the stupidest shit.”

“Next time we fight, I’ll make sure that we don’t drag you into the middle of it.”

“I would prefer if you guys didn’t fight at all, but I know that isn’t going to happen. So I guess not getting dragged into your next fight is all that I can really ask for.”

“So what makes things different for Kaner this time?”

“He didn’t sleep with her.”

Jonathan’s eyes widened slightly. “Seriously?”

Patrick nodded his head. “Yep. He didn’t even go home with her.”

“What even happened then?”

“Well, from what Kaner says, she played the ‘hard to get’ card. Said that she wanted to be wooed before she went home with him.”

“Wow,” Jonathan murmured in awe. “I don’t remember the last time that actually happened to him. Hell, I can’t remember if that’s ever actually happened to him.”

“I know,” Patrick agreed. “I think this girl really got to him. He looks like a love sick puppy.”

Jonathan could only shake his head. He couldn’t even imagine Kaner with a lovesick puppy look on his face. In all of the years of their friendship, he didn’t think that Kaner had ever really been in love before.

“Our little Peekaboo is growing up,” Patrick stated wistfully, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye.

“It’s about damn time.”

“Now, now. You need to be nicer. This is a big deal for him and I don’t need you to ruin it with your sarcastic comments.”

Jonathan sighed softly. “Fine. I’ll be supportive and won’t tease him.”

“Good,” Patrick stated, clapping Jonathan on the shoulder. “Now tell Uncle Patrick all about this Victoria woman.”

“One of these days I’m going to convince my parents that you and Abby are actually evil and we need to let you go.”

Patrick tossed his head back, laughing loudly. “Keep dreaming, Jonny boy. We both know that day is never going to come. Your parents love Abby and me. We’re not going anywhere anytime soon.”

Jonathan wrinkled his nose because he knew that Patrick was right. He was going to be stuck with the two of them for the rest of his life.

“Stop trying to change the subject. Tell me all about this girl.”

“She’s pretty amazing. She’s pretty much in the same boat as me and she doesn’t really care that this is only a marriage of convenience. She’s funny and smart and really pretty.”

Patrick grinned widely. “She sounds like the perfect girl for you then.”

Jonathan smiled lightly as he nodded his head in agreement. “Yeah, I think that she is.”

“Sounds like Kaner’s not the only one that’s growing up.”

Humming softly, Jonathan shrugged. “I guess its just time for both of us to grow up. It had to happen someday.”

“I feel like such a proud parent right now,” Patrick teased, placing a hand over his heart.

Jonathan chuckled softly, shoving Patrick gently. “Don’t you have anything better to do? I’m sure that my mother has someplace to go and needs her driver.”

Patrick grinned widely, starting to back away from Jonathan. “Of course. Wouldn’t want to slack on my job. Plus, I know that you have a very important meeting with my wife and your future wife.”

“You’re the worst.”

“Love you too,” Patrick called out, saluting Jonathan before he was turning around, disappearing around a corner.

Jonathan just shook his head, stepping into his office. “New rule: you and your husband are no longer allowed to discuss my love life. Or my life in general,” he commented when he noticed that Abby was already there.

Abby laughed softly, looking over her shoulder at Jonathan. “I can’t make you any promises. Patrick and I never keep secrets from each other. Plus, we never tell anyone else about it.”

“He told Kaner,” Jonathan pointed out.

“I know and I yelled at him for that. I told him it was rude and that I had never repeated any of the stories that he’s told me about your mother.”

“My mother?”

“You’d be surprised by some of the things that your mother has told him.”

Jonathan wrinkled his nose slightly. “I don’t think that I want to know any of the stories that my mother may have told him.”

“Half the time I don’t want to hear the stories either,” Abby stated, shrugging. “But I might explode if he doesn’t tell someone.”

“He’s lucky to have you then.”

“I know,” Abby agreed, smiling cheekily. “And one day you’ll have someone like that in your life.”

Jonathan sighed, moving to sit down at his desk. “I really hope that you’re right.”

“Don’t get all morose on me now. Your future wife is going to be here soon. If you play your cards right, she might just be the person for you.”

Jonathan smiled lightly as he leaned back in his chair. He wasn’t 100% sure that Victoria was going to be that person for him, but he couldn’t wait to find out.

♕♛♕♛


Being in the palace was completely nerve-wracking for Victoria. Sure, she had been here once or twice before, but that had been for a ball. This time she was at the palace to discuss her future with Prince Jonathan. She just hoped that everything went well and she didn’t end up making a total fool of herself. She needed this whole arranged marriage to work out.

She looked around in awe as she followed the butler down the hallway. She could remember being a child and picturing exactly what the inside of the palace looked like. Back then she had thought that everything was made out of gold and the walls would be painted to match. While everything looked expensive and like it belonged in a museum, there was a feeling a home with everything.

Victoria was so caught up in looking around that she hadn’t realized the butler had stopped in front of a big oak door. She ended up walking into him, stumbling back slightly, happy that she didn’t end up falling on her ass.

“Sorry,” she muttered sheepishly, blushing.

The butler just raised an eyebrow slightly before he was turning around, knocking on the door.

“Come in!”

The butler opened the door, ushering Victoria inside. “A Miss Walker is here for a meeting,” he stated gruffly.

“Yes, thank you. That will be all Joel,” Jonathan stated as he stood up from his desk.

The butler nodded, bowing slightly before he was leaving the room, closing the door behind him.

Victoria looked around the room, taking everything in. Just like in the hallway, she could tell that everything in the room was probably expensive, but she got a welcome feeling from just standing there. Once she had looked around the room and studied everything, she was looking at Jonathan.

“Hi,” she stated, smiling lightly.

“Hi,” Jonathan replied, grinning as he moved over to her. Once he was close enough, he was pulling her into a quick hug. “It’s nice to see you again.”

“It’s nice to see you again too.”

“And this is Abby. She’s pretty much the evil mastermind behind this whole thing,” Jonathan stated as he pulled back, gesturing to the other female in the room.

Abby rolled her eyes, though she had a smile on her face, making her way over to where the two were standing. “Don’t listen to this fool,” Abby instructed, holding her hand out to Victoria. “It’s nice to officially meet you.”

Victoria giggled softly as she shook Abby’s hand. “It’s nice to officially meet you too.”

“Now that introductions are over with, let’s get down to business,” Abby declared as she clapped her hands together before she was going to sit down at a small table that had been set up for the meeting.

Victoria glanced over at Jonathan for a moment before she was following after Abby. “So, what exactly do we have to discuss?” she asked as she sat down at the table.

“Just the basics of the “relationship”,” Abby replied, actually using air quotes. “It’s lucky that Jonny is a very private guy. It’ll be easier to get the public to believe that he’s had a secret girlfriend for so long and no one’s found out.”

“Plus, Abby’s the best at throwing the media off my trail. She’s saved my ass on more than one occasion. I owe her a lot.”

“And that’s why you’re on baby-sitting duty for life,” Abby commented before she was glancing over at Victoria. “Now, is there anyone in your life that knows about this whole plan?”

“Not really,” Victoria answered. “I mean, I sort of told my roommate about it. But she thinks that it’s some kind of Cinderella thin. She thinks Jonathan held a ball because he’s looking for a potential wife and I was one of the many young ladies that was invited to the ball.”

Abby frowned slightly. “That might be a problem. If someone asked how you two met, and trust me, they will, her answer might clash with the story that we come up with.”

Victoria quickly shook her head. “There is no way that would happen.”

Both Abby and Jonathan raised an eyebrow, but it was Jonathan that spoke. “What do you mean?”

Victoria nibbled on her bottom lip, staring down at her lap. “It’s a really long story, but I promise that wouldn’t happen.”

“I don’t now…” Abby hesitated.

“I believe Victoria. If she says her roommate won’t tell, she won’t tell,” Jonathan stated firmly.

Abby stared at Jonathan for a long moment before she was sighing heavily. “Fine. I’ll just have to trust that your roommate isn’t going to spill the beans.”

Victoria looked over at Jonathan, grinning lightly. “Thank you.”

“Your welcome,” Jonathan stated, grinning back at her.

“Is there anyone else who might contradict our story?” Abby questioned. “Like family?”

“No. My parents still think that I’m single and am going to be single for the rest of my life. And older sisters are too busy with their own lives to worry about what’s happening in my love life. I didn’t mention anything about a ball to any of them so they know nothing about me meeting the Prince.”

“Okay, good,” Abby stated with a nod.

“I do have a question though.”

“Shoot.”

“What’s the policy on…seeing other people?”

Abby shared a look with Jonathan before raising an eyebrow. “Seeing other people?”

Victoria gave a small nod. “I met this guy the other night and I really like him. It wouldn’t be anything serious. Just someone to have a little fun with.”

“I’m okay with that,” Jonathan stated.

Abby’s eyes widened as she stared at Jonathan. “Are you serious?”

Jonathan chuckled softly as he nodded. “Of course. There’s nothing wrong with having a little fun. Just because I’m not out having fun doesn’t mean that Victoria can’t. It’s not like we’re getting married because we love each other. Let her have this one thing before we do get married. But it does have to stop once we are married.”

Victoria quickly nodded her head. “Definitely! I can assure you that it will stop once we get married. I’m 100% committed to making this marriage look as real as possible and I wouldn’t do anything to ruin that.”

Abby looked back and forth between Victoria and Jonathan for a minute before letting out a heavy sigh. “Alright. I’ll let you have your fun with whomever you want, but there will be rules. You have to keep a low profile. No going out in public where people will see you. We don’t need any rumors going around that you’re cheating on Jonny. Also, I’ll need both of you and whoever this guy you plan on seeing to sign non-disclosure agreements. I trust you won’t run off and tell anyone about this whole plan, but I don’t know this guy and I don’t trust him. That’s all there is for now, but if I think of anything else, I’ll let you know.”

“I think I’ll be able to live with that,” Victoria stated.

Abby quirked an eyebrow slightly. “You don’t really have a choice. Either you follow my rules or say good-bye to lover boy. Understood?”

“Understood,” Victoria replied.

Honestly, she didn’t care about how many rules she would have to follow. She was just glad that Jonathan was allowing this. Even though she barely knew Patrick, there had been some kind of connection between them and she was happy she was going to get the chance to know him better. She just had to remind herself that nothing could really happen between them. Something that was going to be easier said than done.

♕♛♕♛


Three hours, nine cups of coffee, and about ten bathroom breaks later Jonathan and Victoria finally had a backstory to tell people.

They had met a year and a half ago at a charity ball for St. Mary’s Orphanage. (Surprisingly, they both had actually attended the ball, but hadn’t seen each other.) They had hit it off instantly, but nothing had really happened because Victoria was going to be studying abroad in Greece. (One of the things about the story that was actually true.) While she had been gone, the two had texted and e-mailed each other constantly. They had even Skyped a few times when both of them had some free time. Once Victoria had returned, the two had decided to give dating a shot. They had finally decided to make their relationship public because after about a year of dating they were tired of hiding.

It wasn’t a perfect story and there were probably a few things that would need to be fixed, but for now it would work. It was a start. Now they had something to give the media and Jonathan was happy about that. It was like another weight had been lifted off his shoulders. And he was sure that both Victoria and Abby felt the same way.

“Alright kids,” Abby started as she stood up, gathering her papers. “I think that’s it for today. We’ve got a good start. Next step is telling the media. Kelly-Rae and I will put together a statement that you will give to the press. I’m thinking we’ll hold a press conference in a week or two. That gives you two time to get to know each other better. It’ll also give me time to coach Victoria on how to deal with the media.”

Jonathan gave a nod of his head. “That sounds like a good plan. Thank you for doing this for us, Abby. It means a lot to me.”

Abby smiled lightly as she moved over to Jonathan, patting him on the shoulder. “Anything for you Jonny,” she told him before she was heading for the door. “Now you two have a good night. I’ll send you both messages when I’ve got a statement prepared.”

“Sounds good. Say hi to the girls for me. And tell them that I miss them and we need to have another tea party soon.”

Abby chuckled as she nodded her head. “Will do!” she promised before she was walking out of the room.

“A tea party, huh?” Victoria commented with a smirk. “You’re really living on the edge.”

Jonathan blushed lightly, shrugging. “I’ve known Abby and her husband, Patrick, for a long time. Their sort of like older siblings to me and their daughters are like nieces to me. They’ve had me wrapped around their little fingers since the first time I laid eyes on them. I’ll do pretty much anything for them. Even having tea parties.”

“That’s sweet,” Victoria stated softly. “Do you want to have kids someday?”

“Yeah, I would. For now I’m fine with being the cool uncle to all the kids of my friends, but someday I want to have my own,” Jonathan replied. “What about you?”

Victoria smiled lightly. “Well, even though my nieces and nephews are all demon spawn, I love them to pieces and wouldn’t mind having kids of my own someday.”

Jonathan chuckled softly. “I’m glad that we’re on the same page here. I would hate for us to get married only to realize that one of us didn’t want kids.”

“That is a pretty big deal, but I have a feeling that Abby wouldn’t have picked me out as a potential wife for you if I didn’t want to have kids.”

“That’s a fair point,” Jonathan agreed. “So far you’ve been a perfect match for me.”

Victoria hummed softly. “Everything has gone so well so far. I’m nervous that it’s all going to fall apart.”

“I don’t think there is anything for you to worry about. The backstory might not be perfect, but we’ve got Abby. And if anyone can help us pull this whole thing off, it’s going to be her. Plus, I feel like we just kind of fit together, you know?”

Victoria gave a small nod of her head. “Yeah, you’re probably right. Everything’s going to work out just fine.”

“That’s the spirit,” Jonathan stated, smiling lightly. “Though, I do have one question.”

“Ask away.”

“You mentioned that your roommate thinks this is some kind of Cinderella story. But once we talk to the media, won’t she realize that you lied to her?”

Victoria sighed softly, running her fingers through her hair. “It’s a really long story. One you probably shouldn’t be hearing from me. But I will say she sort of lives in her own world. She doesn’t have Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Hell, she still has a phone from 2000. She can barely text on it. She doesn’t read the paper or even watch the news. I’m the only person she ever really interacts with on a daily basis. So unless I tell her the truth, she won’t know I lied.”

Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “Wow.”

Victoria let out a frustrated groan. “I’m not explaining it very well. You really need to meet her to understand. She’s really not crazy even though it sounds like she is.”

“Then maybe I can meet her tomorrow.”

“Huh?”

Jonathan hummed quietly. “I don’t have any big plans for tomorrow. I can come over to your place and meet her. We could grab some lunch after that. It might get people talking about us.”

“O-Okay,” Victoria stuttered out as she nodded her head. “That actually works since neither of us have to work tomorrow and it’ll be fine if I miss one class.”

“Alright, perfect. I’ll probably bring my best friend along too. We’ve known each other for years and even though he’s an asshole 90% of the time, I trust him with my life. He’s important to me and you’ll end up meeting him someday so why not now? Plus, it gives me a chance to explain what exactly is going on.”

“You plan on telling him the truth?”

“He already knows I was looking for a wife, so I figure there isn’t any point in hiding the truth from him. He won’t tell anyone. He knows Abby and wouldn’t do anything to get on her bad side.”

Victoria smiled weakly as she nodded. “Alright. You bringing your best friend along works for me. It’s probably a good idea for us to get to know each other’s friends. Spend some time with them so it won’t be as big of a deal when we announce our relationship.”

“Exactly. I think that Abby would be very proud of us for coming up with this plan.”

“This is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I thought it would take days for us to come up with a halfway decent backstory. But we have one now and we’re getting to know each other better already. We’re kicking ass at this whole thing.”

“We make a kick ass team,” Jonathan stated as he held his hand out for a high-five.

Victoria giggled as she high-fived Jonathan. “Hell yeah we do!” she stated excitedly. “But I think that’s enough being kick ass for the day. I need to go home and make sure that my apartment is clean enough for a prince to visit.”

Jonathan grinned lightly. “I’m sure that it’s perfect. But you’re probably right. I need to go visit my best friend and make sure that he’ll be able to come with me tomorrow. I’ll walk you to the door.”

“That sounds good,” Victoria said as she stood up, putting her coat on, grabbing her purse.

Jonathan placed a hand on the small of Victoria’s back, leading her out of the room. “What time should I come over tomorrow?”

“Let’s say 12:30.”

“12:30 it is. I’m actually a little nervous about this meeting.”

“Why?” Victoria asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I really want your roommate to like me.”

“I don’t think that’s something you have to worry about. She already thinks you’re amazing.”

“She knows who I am?”

“I said she didn’t read the newspaper or watch the news, not that she lived under a rock.”

Jonathan blushed, ducking his head sheepishly. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine. Just don’t ask stupid questions like that tomorrow and things will be fine.”

Chuckling softly, Jonathan nodded. “I think I can do that,” he promised coming to a stop at the front door. “It was good to see you today.”

Victoria smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck to hug him good-bye. “It was good to see you too.”

Jonathan hugged her back, squeezing her waist gently before letting go. “Have a safe drive home and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I will,” she assured him, smiling as she walked out the front door.

Jonathan watched her leave before he was turning around, heading back towards his office, smiling to himself. Everything was coming together nicely. He couldn’t even believe that he had been worried about this plan working.

♕♛♕♛


When Victoria had been growing up she had absolutely sucked at lying. She always got incredibly nervous when people wanted her to lie and ended up blurting out the truth. Now that she was older, she still sucked at lying. Which she found to be so ironic because she was about to lie to pretty much the whole world. If anyone that was going to spill the beans, it was going to be here.

But she was trying her hardest not to think about it. Because the more she thought about it, the more nervous she was going to get and that would only lead to bad things. She didn’t want to ruin all the work that they had put into this plan.

So instead she thought about how Jonathan and Colette were going to meet tomorrow. While she was nervous about the meeting, she was also a little excited about it as well. It was when the real plan would begin and she was excited to finally get the ball rolling.

“Honey! I’m home!” she called out as she stepped into her apartment, shrugging her coat off. “It smells really good in here.”

“Hi,” Colette greeted her roommate as she peaked her head out of the kitchen. “Mary gave me her recipe for double chocolate chip muffins so I decided to make them.”

“Whose Mary?” Victoria questioned as she walked into the kitchen.

“I’ve told you about Mary. She’s in the cubicle next to mine and is always talking to me. I told her how much I liked chocolate chip muffins so she gave me her recipe.”

“Wow. I’m impressed.”

“Talking to her isn’t as scary as I thought it would be. She’s really nice and extremely sweet. She doesn’t seem to care that I don’t always talk back or answer her questions.”

Victoria grinned widely as she pulled Colette in for a hug. “I’m really proud of you,” she whispered in the other female’s ear before she was stepping back so that she could hoist herself up to sit on the counter.

Colette quickly ducked her head, a small but pleased smile turning up the corners of her mouth. “Thanks,” she murmured. “But enough about me. Tell me all about your meeting with Prince Jonathan.”

“It went great,” Victoria started, swinging her legs back and forth. “I met Abby who’s like his personal assistant or something. We talked about how everything is going to work since Jonathan isn’t doing things the normal way, you know?”

Colette hummed softly as she moved around the kitchen, cleaning up the mess she had made. “I suppose a lot of prince’s don’t hold balls to pick out who they might want to marry. I still can’t believe that out of all the girls that attended the ball he picked you.”

“I guess I left a good impression on him.”

“Of course you did. He would have been crazy not to pick you. It just seems like things are moving really fast.”

“It’s what he wants and I can’t really blame him. He’s ready to settle down and he wants to do it soon.”

“That’s fair, I guess. You’ll have time to get to know each other before the wedding, right? So you know for sure this is what you both want?”

“Definitely. That’s another thing we talked about. We think that we should get to know each other’s friends first. I’m meeting his best friend tomorrow.”

“That’s a good place to start.”

“They’re coming over here tomorrow. Jonathan wants to meet you.”

Colette froze, nearly dropping the bag of flour she held in her hands. “W-What?”

“I was telling him about you and he said that he wanted to meet you.”

“No! No way!” Colette exclaimed, quickly shaking her head.

Victoria hopped off the counter, slowly moving over to her friend, placing her hands on her shoulders. “Please?”

“Why would he even want to meet me!?”

“Because you’re my best friend.”

“But why tomorrow?”

“The sooner the better. It’ll give you time to get to know each other before the wedding.”

“Why do we even have to get to know each other? I’m not the one that’s going to be marrying him!”

“Because you’re the most important person in my life right now and soon he’s gonna be another important person in my life and I want you two to like each other and get along.”

Colette let out a shaky breath, closing her eyes. “O-Okay. I’ll meet hi-im tomorrow.”

“Thank you!” Victoria exclaimed as she threw her arms around her friend’s neck. “I promise that you two will love each other.”

♕♛♕♛


The last thing Jonathan wanted to be doing was going to apologize to Patrick. He was still mad about the fight and wasn’t ready to make nice just yet. But he had promised Sharpy that he would apologize and he would never hear the end of it if he backed out of his promise. Plus, he needed not to be fighting with his best friend when they went over to Victoria’s place. So he figured that he might as well bite the bullet and get it over with.

As his driver pulled up to the building that Patrick lived in, Jonathan leaned forward in his seat to talk to his driver. “This might take a while, so feel free to go get some coffee or something,” he stated before he was climbing out of the car, heading into the building.

“Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in.”

Jonathan smirked as he looked over at the man who had spoken, heading over to him. “Tony, it’s good to see you. How have you been?”

“Can’t really complain. Wife and I are going on a cruise for Christmas this year. A whole two weeks away from this place will do me some good.”

“What about the kids?”

“Eh, Nick is spending this Christmas with his wives family and Jenny’s got herself a new boyfriend and apparently his parents want to meet her. We’re planning on doing something after me and my wife get back from the cruise.”

“A new boyfriend? Last time I was here she was practically engaged to that Chase guy.”

“Got a better job in New York City. Jenny didn’t really want to move all the way to New York City and neither of them wanted to do the whole long distance thing. He still keeps in touch with us and I’m secretly hoping they get back together.”

“Understandable though. Long distance relationships can be a pain in the ass.”

“True. We’ll see how the future plays out. But enough about me. Patrick know that you popped in for a visit?”

Jonathan sighed softly as he shook his head. “No. We kind of got into a fight yesterday and I need to apologize. He hasn’t left, has he?”

“Far as I know he’s at home. I’ve been here all day and I haven’t seen him come by. If he leaves he usually stops by here to let me know.”

“Good,” Jonathan stated, rapping two knuckles against the counter before stepping back. “It was good to see you Tony.”

“You too Jonny. And don’t be a stranger.”

“I promise I’ll stop in to visit more. Say hi to the wife and kids for me,” Jonathan stated before heading for the elevators.

Once he was in the elevator and on his way up to Patrick’s, he tried to think of how he was going to apologize. He new that he had to do it just right or things would only get worse and that was the last thing that he wanted. But by the time that the elevator reached Patrick’s floor he still wasn’t sure exactly how he was going to apologize, but it was too late to turn around and go home. He just needed to get this over with.

Standing outside of Patrick’s door he took a deep breath, slowly letting it out before knocking on the door.

Patrick opened the door, frowning when he saw that it was Jonathan.

“Hi,” Jonathan greeted, smiling lightly.

Patrick stayed silent, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Mind if I come in?”

Rolling his eyes, Patrick turned around and disappeared into the apartment.

Jonathan took that as an invitation to come inside, closing the door behind him. “So, I talked to Tony. Did you know that Jenny has a new boyfriend?”

“Of course I did,” Patrick snapped, flopping down on the couch.

Jonathan resisted the urge to roll his eyes, heading into the living room. “I really thought her and Chase would end up together forever. I just hope this new guy is good to her. She’s a sweet girl who de-“

“I’m sure that you didn’t come here to talk about my building’s security guy and his kids. So spit it out,” Patrick interrupted.

“Right,” Jonathan mumbled, sitting down on the couch. “I actually came over here to apologize.”

“Really?”

“Yes really.”

“Alert the news! Jonathan Toews is going to apologize first for the first time ever!”

“Listen here asshole.”

“That doesn’t sound like an apology to me.”

Jonathan ground his teeth together, glaring down at his lap. “Fine. I’m sorry,” he grumbled out through clenched teeth.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t understand that. Could you repeat that?” Patrick asked, cupping a hand around his ear.

“I said I was sorry.”

“You have to go potty?”

“I’m sorry you fucking dipshit!” Jonathan growled, turning to glare at Patrick.

“You don’t sound very sorry.”

Jonathan balled his hands into fists as he quickly stood up. “I shouldn’t have come over here because I knew you wouldn’t take this seriously. Not that you ever take anything seriously so I really shouldn’t be surprised.”

Patrick chuckled softly as he grabbed a pillow, throwing it at Jonathan. “Sit down you fucking freak. I’m sorry too, by the way.”

Jonathan slowly sat down, unclenching his fists. “You are?”

Patrick gave a small nod of his head. “Yeah. I was being an asshole teasing you about need some fake marriage to find a wife.”

“And I don’t think that you’ve slept with half of Canada’s female population or that you can’t get a girl to stay the night. I heard you did pretty well last night.”

Patrick smiled lightly. “Yeah, I met this amazing girl. I tried to take her home with me, but she wasn’t having it. I did get her number though.”

“Have you called her yet?”

“No, I don’t want to seem too eager. We only talked for a few minutes, but I think there might be something there.”

“I’m happy for you.”

“I’m happy for you too. Sharpy told me about you finding your future wife.”

“Fucking Sharpy,” Jonathan mumbled under his breath. “But he’s right. The girl I met is all kinds of great,” he stated with a smile. “That’s another reason I came over here: I want you to met her.”

“That seems soon.”

“I’m only marrying her to please my parents. Nothing is too soon.”

“Fair point.”

“Plus, you’re my best friend and I want you to like her too.”

“Aww, I’m really your best friend? I think I might cry,” Patrick sniffed, wiping at fake tears.

Jonathan rolled his eyes, grabbing the pillow Patrick had thrown at him, throwing it back at Patrick. “You are such a fucker.”

“You love me,” Patrick stated with a grin. “And I’m sure that you’re future wife and I will get along just fine. Though, you might have to watch out or I might steal your girl.”

Jonathan scoffed. “I’d like you see you try and steal my girl. It will never happen.”

“You never know. Stranger things have happened.”

“I’m really not too worried. You have your own girl. See if you can get her first before you try and steal my girl.”

Patrick chuckled softly as he nodded his head. “Alright, I think that sounds fair.”

“Good,” Jonathan stated as he stood up from the couch. “I’ll be here at 12:00 to pick you up. Please be ready when I get here.”

“Don’t worry. I promise that I’ll be on my best behavior tomorrow so I don’t end up embarrassing you in front of your new lady.”

“That’s all I ask.”

“I know. Now sit your ass back down so I can beat it at Mario Kart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry it has taken me a while to update! I got my first cold of the season and have felt so blah the past two weeks. I'm also thinking of putting my other story on the back burner for now and working on a new story that I've been thinking about so look out for that. And again I'm sorry if some parts of this chapter are confusing. I swear that things will get cleared up soon!