The Line Up

he was not a Stark, and he did not belong

At the start of every winter, the Starks line up for a family portrait. Dresses are crafted from the most expensive colourful materials for the women and the lords wear dark leathers and thick shirts, always providing the painter with an exquisite contrast. The ladies have their hair washed and brushed endlessly as the men are shaven and tidied, and then they are organised by age and Ice is passed to the current house leader. Every time Eddard would command that Jon was dressed and groomed for the portrait, but every time Catelyn refused to have Jon painted in her family’s image. During his youngest years this upset him greatly and instead of standing next to Robb, Jon would cry in the passageway outside. As he aged, he trudged through the preparation that his father insisted on but never held onto any hope that he would be included. He was not a Stark, and he did not belong in their sacred portrait.

The year after Robb succeeded Eddard as Lord of Winterfell, Jon lingered by the doorway and watched the scene unfold of the happy family. The two proud parents stood to the far right, grinning as Arya quarrelled with Sansa, and admiring how composed Robb was keeping himself before the audience. A squire unsheathed Ice and bowed, offering the family sword to Robb. Jon smiled as he watched his half-brother take the sword and hold it before him, the object greatly empowering him. As he was about to turn away, Jon’s eye caught Robb’s and he noticed Robb’s face light up. Ice was passed to Eddard and Robb hurried across the room to Jon.

“I am glad you are here. Come join us,” Robb beamed as he extended his arm, gesturing to welcome Jon inside the room. Jon frowned and he felt Catelyn’s eyes on him.

“You know I’m not allowed in the portrait,” he remarked quietly and Robb chuckled, taking Jon aback.

“I am the Lord of Winterfell now, and I insist that my brother is painted by my side,” he said as he placed a reassuring hand on Jon’s shoulder. Jon entered the room and walked with Robb to stand in line, Arya grinning widely as she stepped to the side to allow room for Jon.