Blackout

Susceptible

[adj] easily affected, influenced, or harmed by something


I heard the shower shut off and glanced out the window, seeing the sky getting lighter over the tops of the New York City buildings. I returned my gaze to the mirror above the recently cleared off vanity in the bedroom.

If I stood back from the mirror I could make out a smattering of bruises in the shape of fingerprints around my hips and thighs. Closer to the mirror I could see red marks on my throat where Seth’s hands had closed around it. I traced the tips of my fingers over them, trying to decide if cover up would be enough or if I should invest in a scarf. The weather was becoming cooler, after all, so it wouldn’t look too out of place.

“Sorry about that.”

I looked behind me in the mirror and saw that Seth was right behind me, a towel swathed around his hips. He moved closer until his front was pressing against my back, wrapping his arms around me.

I watched in the mirror and smiled as he leaned down, placing his lips to the side of my neck. He inhaled deeply and pulled me closer to him before letting go and moving to his closet.

“I think I’m going to have to be late to work,” I said, picking up my blouse which I had retrieved earlier along with my skirt and placed on the bed. I stood only in my bra and underwear. Seth turned to look at me and then the blouse. “It got ripped. I either have to go home, or just buy something new, which would probably just be easiest.”

He went into the closet and came back out a minute later in boxer briefs and an unbuttoned white oxford shirt.

“I might have something you can wear,” he said, looking thoughtful. “Jane left a few items in here that I don’t think she’s ever worn.”

At the mention of his ex-wife, I’m sure I must have made a face because Seth laughed and returned to the closet before coming out with a simple gray dress with three-quarter sleeves and a skirt that I was sure would go to just above my knees. Definitely not my style.

“Just wear it,” he said, setting it on the bed. He went to the closet and came back with a light, patterned scarf, eyeing the marks on my neck. I picked up the dress and stared at it and then gave Seth an incredulous look. “If you wear the dress, I promise to rip it off of you later.”

I smirked.

“That I can work with.”

---

As promised, Seth did exactly what he said after work, bending me over the back of his couch in the living room. Everything about Seth was better than I imagined, especially the sex.

Unfortunately, I did have to return home. I didn’t really feel like wearing his former wife’s leftover clothes, though I did borrow another one to wear until I got home, where I immediately took it off and threw it in the trash.

I took a long shower, sad to wash away the scent of Seth from my skin but enjoying the feel of the hot water on my skin.

Once showered and changed into comfortable clothes, I checked my phone and saw a text from Bree: Are you alive??

I laughed and texted her back: Very alive. Come over for wine? I’ll give you details ;)

Oh boy, be there in 20

---

“You lucky bitch,” Bree said, smacking me lightly on the arm. “I only met the guy once, but it’s not easy to forget a guy who looks that good.”

“Tell me about it,” I said. “Try working for him for a year.”

“So what happened?” she asked. “His wife just left him and then he decided to fuck you? It seems too easy.”

I shrugged, unsure if I should just tell her what I had done on my end to get this to happen. She was obviously into the whole supernatural occult shit, so she might believe me.

“I summoned a demon and asked for this to happen in exchange for my soul in 10 years,” I said, realizing as the words left my mouth that the whole thing sounded like a joke.

Bree stared at me for a moment before bursting out into laughter.

“Sophie, I don’t care how it happened,” she said, grinning at me and shaking my head. “Just be careful, alright? I don’t want you to get hurt.”
♠ ♠ ♠


---

Short, I know. I'm thinking there's going to be a little bit of a time jump in the next chapter. Not sure when Pete will reappear, I just have to get the story to a certain point before he does.

But who loves Seth anyway?? Especially when I chose Bradley Cooper to represent his character... I'm currently very obsessed with Bradley Cooper-- I mean, can you blame me?

Hot damn. (If anyone knows where that gif is from, that would be super helpful btw).

Thanks for reading!

~Sally