Friend or Foe

we are enemies - i wouldn't say that

Paws thundered like hooves through the forest, the large body weaving nimbly past trees as it chased the creature whose scent it was on. The Whispering Wood contained of a vast array of animals and smells, but the direwolf did not stray from its path. Its victim came into view and after a low growl, Grey Wind pounced. The dress of red and hair of gold crashed to the ground beneath the beast’s weight, screaming with pain from the bite, and the fall rendered her unconscious.

Image

When Jesselyn awoke she saw a crackling fire and realised that it was nightfall. Dazed as to where she was, she moved to prop herself up on her elbow to get a better look at her surroundings, but a sharp pain rippled through her arm and she slid back onto the blanket with a grunt.

“You’re awake,” a male voice stated the obvious and a face shifted forwards, coming out of the shadows to hover above the flickering flames. Jesselyn stared at him, trying to place a name to the face but not quite able to recognise his features. Dark curls fell over his forehead, stopping just before bright blue eyes, and his pale face was framed with weeks worth of stubble and dirt.

“Where am I?” she wondered, noticing in the dim light that bushes surrounded them so they had to be outside.

“In the Whispering Wood. I couldn’t tell you exactly where though…” the young man trailed off and she winced as she tried to heave herself up again.

“So you are lost too then,” she mumbled, feeling helpless and as though she would never be able to return to her cousin who was supposed to be protecting her.

“Let me help you,” he offered when he noticed her struggle. “Do you recall what happened?”

“No.”

“My direwolf attacked you. I have no idea why, he never disobeys me, I swear it. I haven’t taken a look at the wound yet, I didn’t want to remove your dress,” he pointed out as he came to her side, attempting to touch her and lift her up but Jesselyn flinched away.

“You have… a direwolf…” she stammered as it sunk in where she had seen the strong nose and jawline before.

“Yes… I raised him.”

“You’re a Stark,” she stated to show that she wasn’t particularly concerned about the beast. The young man hesitated, then exhaled briefly and met her eyes.

“Yes. Robb Stark, Lord of Winterfell-”

“King in the North,” Jesselyn finished for him, the worry evident in her eyes and furrowed brow.

“And I am guessing by that bitter tone that you are no Northerner,” Robb sighed. Jesselyn only considered lying for a short second before deciding that there would be no gain in doing so.

“No.”

“Of which house do you belong, my lady?” he asked only to see Jesselyn’s face fall.

“It would be better if I did not say,” she muttered, providing Robb with his answer.

“You are a Lannister,” he said as he stared at the golden locks that tumbled over her shoulders. They met each other’s stern eyes and took a few moments to comprehend the situation, both fully aware of how peculiar and unfortunate it was. Robb then shifted his weight and Jesselyn expected a dagger to be pulled, but instead she spied a genuinely kind smile on his face. “Well we had better take a look at the bite, see if you need some treatment. How is the pain, bearable?” Jesselyn stared in awe at the man her uncle and father were fighting on behalf of the king, trying to spy the evil that they saw.

“Why help me? We are enemies,” Jesselyn blankly stated, confused.

“I wouldn’t say that. I don’t even know you,” Robb replied with a slight shrug before gesturing towards her bloodied arm. “May I take a look now?” As reluctant as she knew she should be, Jesselyn could only see honesty and kindness in him, and she gave a short nod.

Image

Jesselyn warmed her hands before the fire, now able to sit upright and feeling far more comfortable because her pain had been alleviated and her stomach filled. The beast that had bitten and tore her arm open was lying a mere few feet away from her, dozing peacefully as the sun began to rise in the distance, but its presence did not unsettle Jesselyn. After having her wound tenderly treated by Robb, she had found a trust in him and, perhaps foolishly, felt as though he would be able to keep the wolf under control. He had not yet given her a reason to be hostile towards him, despite the circumstances under which they had met.

“What do you plan on doing today?” Jesselyn questioned as Robb rubbed his wary eyes.

“I don’t know yet…” he admitted after a pause, glancing up at her. “How are you feeling?”

“Better, thank you,” she smiled briefly before it faltered and her face fell grim. “Will you take me prisoner?” Robb’s forehead creased and he shook his head.

“No… How could I do that to you, put you under further stress and harm, after what I have already done?” he said with a frown at her bandaged arm. A weak smile showed Jesselyn’s relief, but it soon faded as she pondered what would come to pass instead.

“Would you return me to my cousin Jaime?” she suggested hopefully only to see Robb shy away. “What? What is it?” Robb sighed, truly conflicted about how he should respond before deciding that the only right way to answer was to be honest.

“There is a reason why I was this close to your cousin’s army, Jesselyn,” he said and grief sunk into the pits of her guts as she understood exactly what he was saying. “But… I doubt that they have attacked without me. If I return in time, I could call it off.” Jesselyn leapt to her feet, startling Grey Wind.

“Then we must hurry,” she insisted. Robb stood and began packing his gear, uncertain of how he was supposed to solve the predicament.

Image

They stopped walking with a generous amount of distance between them and the edge of the woods where Lannister red tents were housing Jaime’s army, still in the process of laying siege on Riverrun. Robb gently stroked his horse’s neck and kept one eye on Grey Wind to ensure he did not stray and raise suspicion. With a hand over her wound, Jesselyn watched on as a pair of guards patrolled past them and she spied the next pair approaching in the distance.

“I should go now,” she stated nervously. She was surprisingly torn; a part of her was praying that Robb did not change his mind and she could return to the safety of her family, but a voice in the back of her mind was concerned about the righteousness of her house after having witnessed such kind qualities in her supposed enemy.

“Very well,” Robb nodded, locking his jaw as he looked down at the young woman. “I once again apologise for your injury.”

“And you are forgiven.”

“What will you tell Jaime?” Robb wondered when Jesselyn failed to walk towards the approaching guards.

“Anything that does not mention that a Stark aided me,” she reassured him with a short smile. The guards were now close enough and Jesselyn began heading back towards her family’s camp, preparing herself for Jaime’s panic.

“Perhaps you could write to me, when this war is over,” Robb called out and Jesselyn halted, pausing before turning and noticing the hope in his eyes.

“Perhaps,” she agreed with a quick curtsey, bidding him goodbye. Before she stepped out of the forest, Jesselyn turned on her heel to spot Robb already cantering away with Grey Wind and she breathed a sigh of relief.

Image

“Jesselyn!” Jaime exclaimed before running across the grass to embrace his cousin. He halted when he got closer, spying the bloodied cloth tied around her arm. “What happened? Why did you leave? I thought you were gone for good! Kevan would have killed me for losing his only daughter! Where’s the maester! Fetch me the maester immediately!” Jesselyn placed a calming hand on his shoulder and forced the most pleasant smile possible on her face.

“Please don’t fret, I am fine,” she reassured him but Jaime was still glaring at her, demanding an explanation. “I wandered into the forest to take a short walk and a beast attacked me. A farmer found me and patched me up when I came to. But let’s not talk about that, you have more important things to focus on.”

“You should have taken guards with you,” Jaime scolded her and his whole body suddenly tensed. “What if the Stark army is nearby? You are not stupid, you know what it would mean for you if they took you prisoner.” The camp’s maester appeared at their side and began tugging at Jesselyn’s bandage without her consent.

“Then I am lucky that you are such a good commander and that you will protect me from any harm,” Jesselyn said before leaving Jaime to go with the maester to a tent for privacy.

Image

The horn blew loudly as soon as the maester began dressing Jesselyn’s wound. Her stomach dropped with fear and the both of them rushed outside the tent to see Lannister soldiers rushing to the east. In the distance, Jesselyn could see the unprepared Lannister men being slaughtered by warriors who bore direwolves on their armour and the colours of the white and green of house Stark. Pained by Robb breaking his word of stopping his army’s attack and the fear of imminent death, Jesselyn had to bite back tears as she ran in the opposite direction from the massacre to find Jaime, the only one she had faith in to protect her.

Much to her surprise and anguish, Jaime failed. His men were butchered and the Stark soldiers easily cornered him and forced his sword from his hand. Bloodied and bruised, Jaime was kicked to the ground and cuffed before a couple of men ran after Jesselyn as she fled for her life. She was tackled into the mud and hands roamed over her back during the process of securing the shackles tightly around her wrists. Too weakened by her wound to struggle much, Jesselyn was dragged past the piles of bodies and onto a horse, the travelling making her nauseous. When her and Jaime were unexpectedly tossed from horseback, Jesselyn raised her eyes up the armoured body before her and saw Robb, arms crossed and a grim scowl across his face, showing no sign of recognition towards Jesselyn. Men were cheering at the sight of the Kingslayer as a prisoner before them, but Robb silenced them by raising his hand.

“Who is she?” he asked the guards standing behind Jesselyn.

“Another Lannister,” one of them shrugged.

“What happened to her arm?” Robb questioned with a nod towards the gash that was uncovered and drenched with mud. There was no reply and Jesselyn stole a look at Jaime, realising just how anxious he was. “Send her to my tent. As well as the maester, before that wound festers.”

“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her!” Jaime spat as he struggled against the soldiers that held him on the ground. Jesselyn was heaved to her feet, Robb ignoring her as he watched Jaime writhing angrily. “If she is harmed, I will cut your hand off myself! Do you hear me? Leave her!”

“What kind of a man do you think I am?” Jesselyn heard Robb reply as she was removed from the situation, uncertain about her cousin’s fate. Guards watched over her as the camp’s maester cleaned her wound, and moments after the maester had left, Robb entered the tent. He dismissed the soldiers and they were left alone, both simply staring at each other in awe and silence.

“Hello again,” Jesselyn eventually said and a smile broke Robb’s blank face.

“I’ll admit, I did not think that I would see you so soon,” he replied, clearly in disbelief.

“I thought you were calling off the attack.”

“They rode to attack before I returned, I could not stop them,” he said with a hint of regret. Jesselyn hung her head and Robb cautiously approached her, taking the seat before her. He gestured for her to turn, so she did and he removed the shackles, allowing her to rest more comfortably on the stool. “I don’t know what to do. Jaime thinks I’m defiling you, my mother thinks I wish to wed you, my advisers tell me to kill you-”

“What do you think you should do?” Jesselyn interrupted, taking Robb aback. He dismissed her impolite interjection and pondered her words.

“I want you to live,” he eventually breathed, avoiding her eyes and staring at his clenched fists that sat in his lap. “You are an innocent person who has been caught up in this war. You are nothing like what I am told the Lannisters are, what I’ve seen them be, and I will not have you punished for the house name you bear.” The corners of Jesselyn’s lips turned upwards, showing that she appreciated his understanding.

“Thank you,” she said as she reached out and placed a hand on his. “But how is that going to be possible? I cannot simply remain here with you without consequences…” Robb ran a hand over his tired face, unable to propose a logical solution.

“We will figure something out. We will both survive this war.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts on this piece?