‹ Prequel: Infernal
Sequel: Purgatorial

Ethereal

Chapter 10 - Snake In The Grass

Nina's POV

Still having no idea of how I'd made it to bed last night, I climbed out the shower, dried off and put on a yellow bra with matching panties. Yesterday felt like a sweet dream turned nightmare. Cam actually managed to pull off a date, things were looking up between us... Until Lucifer stole his body. And used a nifty seal to barricade himself inside it.

I put two clippers on the left bangs of my hair, smoothing the waves over a shoulder. Pulling on a sweatshirt that read BLACK COFFEE, I reached blindly for jeans. I could swear I'd put them on the toilet seat.

"A little to the left."

Head finally poking through the sweater's hole, I saw Cameron's reflection leaning on the bathroom's frame.

"Nice legs."

I stretched the front of my jumper, making a quick grab for the slim jeans and rushing to put them on while screaming at him to get out.

"What's the problem, biscuit? Nothing I haven't seen before." My hand grabbed something solid. I threw it at him.

He perked an eyebrow as a tube of toothpaste smacked his shoulder.

"That's just sad." Lucifer muttered.

"Get out!"

A smile edged onto Cam's lips. My fingers curled on the sink's porcelain.

"All the time I've been inside Cameron I saw what he saw. Heard what he heard." If that wasn't the creepiest, most awkward thing in the world, I didn't know what was. "So there's really no reason..."

"Out. Now!" I yelled, smacking the door closed. I bet the bastard was laughing. The door didn't open up, though, and I finished zipping my jeans.

I picked up my failed weapon before leaving. Once I did, gray eyes watched me walking for the desk.

"You might be inside Cameron's body, but you're not him. You don't have a right to invade my privacy." I took a trigg book and thought about smacking him. One glance at those gun metal eyes told me not to push more buttons.

"I do whatever I want. That's what Kings do." And he was a King. Of the damned. "Anyway, I came here for your own benefit. You probably want to know what I want from you, hmm? Cameron will go free as soon as you give me what I want."

Mid-stuffing my backpack, I stopped, bug-eying him over a shoulder.

"Are you serious?"

He picked up a magazine from my bedside table.

"Sure," he dropped on my bed, flipping through the issue. "You really think I like being stuck in a teenager's body? Think again. I needed this body to escape Hell and now I need it to blackmail you into finding Etna."

"Etna? Is that the girl you want to find?"

"Spot on," Lucifer's eyed me over the magazine. "'Should you give your boyfriend another shot after he lied to you? Try to understand his motives...' I thought women in this century were supposed to be smart and independent."

What the...? Shaking it off, I snatched the teen magazine. He blinked, before knotting his hands behind his head.

"Who is she?"

"A person of interest."

"Why?"

"Curiosity killed the cat."

"Well, then, it's a good thing I'm not a cat." I threw his reading material at the foot of bed. "If I'm going to find this Etna I should at least know what interest she could possibly hold for the Devil. Does she have some super-powerful ability that'll start the Apocalypse?"

"Could be," Lucifer shrugged, sitting up with a curled lip. "Maybe once you find her you'll know."

I took a step back, concerned.

"I wasn't being serious. I mean, I wouldn't hand someone over if she could jump-start some apocalyptic reality!"

Sliding onto his feet, he smiled.

"I think you'll give me anyone and anything to ensure Cameron's safety. It's in human nature to be selfish, so don't feel bad, little star. And love?" A finger grazed my chin, I jerked. "Love only amplifies emotions."

I avoided the gray eyes, they were far too cold on Cameron's person.

"We should get going. Don't wanna be late for school."

***

I couldn't believe this was happening.

Again, I bumped my head on the steering wheel.

After everything... He'd actually gotten his way. On another hand, why wouldn't he? Asking for something good and lasting in my life—in our life—was too much. Because losing my family and shipping Henry off to San Diego hadn't been enough. The gaping hole in my chest had to be made deeper, wider.

Just where was that bastard?

Taking over his nephew's body wasn't enough of a gigantic mess, he'd gone and disappeared on me. I couldn't believe Lucifer was in Julian Ivory. There were many things I was finding hard to believe today, though. Like the part where Phillip managed to sleep in after last night.

A shortage of tingles did a happy dance along my shoulders. It was faint—fainter than normal. Still, I hurried through the sea of students. It was enough for me to find him.

Cameron with gray eyes. Yuck.

"I was starting to think you were going to skip."

"And let you destroy Cam's life? I don't think so, buster." Smacking the locker closed, his lips kicked up. "Your eye color is a biggie, you know."

"Is it? That's too bad."

Teeth gritting, I said, "You have control of Cam's soul, right? So why don't you... let him out during school?" I asked this with as much fluff and sugar as possible. Lucifer shook his head, a striking grin on.

"That would pretty much defeat the point of torture." My brows arched. "See, you're with Cameron, but you're not. You two are so close, but just so far. Frustrating, isn't it?"

He dropped an arm over my shoulders, pulling me into his side. Nestling me there.

What. The. Hell.

"Keeping up appearances is important."

Given our history, I'm sure if I kicked him in the nuts no one would think it weird. As the thought took root, my body betrayed me by soaking up the oh-so familiar body heat, not to mention the smell. Or the hardness of his body, the bulk of muscle in his arm—good God. It was just like he said.

I was with Cameron. With his body. But his mind, his soul, was locked up tight.

The arm dropped, only to sneak around my waist. I wanted to bite it off.

"Good morning!" Dawn's sing-song voice pulled me into this week so fast, I jumped into the Devil's side. It made me want to take a severely long shower. "You'll never guess what I just found out."

"Huh,"

"I'll tell you." She hooked my left arm with her right one, smiling widely. "In less than a week—get ready—there's a basketball game. Theseason's kick off!"

I blinked dumbly, "Oh."

Some of that excitement turned into disbelief.

"Oh? Don't sound so hyped about it. It's just awesome news and all." Dawn was too bubbly for me today. "Cam, tell her that—" She stopped. Aw, pooh. "What's up with your eyes...?"

Oh lord.

Who knew what could spill from those lips? I did damage control the only way I could.

"Contact lenses," I blurted. Dawn's chestnut gaze popped. "Really strong ones." I added, in a mutter.

"Oh. Wow. It's... It's a change." She eyed me oddly and I shrugged. How could I explain that those eyes were real—brought on by another soul inside Cameron? Nope, couldn't work that one out. "Anyway, tell her she has to come. It's only fair, since she watched football games."

"It was only one," I couldn't believe we were talking in the presence of Satan. About high school varsity sports. It all sounded like a ridiculous joke. "Plus, Phillip and you ganged up on me. I didn't have a choice."
"I bet you came to see me play."

What the what? I looked up. Straight into those cool silvery irises and hit a wall. While with Cameron's, I'd dive in, losing myself. Maybe eyes really were the windows to one's soul.

I summoned a tight smile.

"I seriously doubt that."

"Why? Because you were dating my brother?" How did he—? Surprisingly, there had been enough animosity in his tone to let everyone know he didn't approve of my early dating choices. Like this dude actually cared.

Dawn released my arm with a sigh, "Don't be a jerk."

Delivering Dawn the usual smug-ass smirk Cam did, Lucifer shrugged.

"Not possible,"

"Yeah, I know." She scowled, before giving me the look. "You're going to this game and you'll cheer until your voice gives out and you'll go to the after party and get wasted. Capiche?" I opened my mouth to protest. "Good! I'll see you in English."

She spun before I could get the final word in. Damn, her batteries were heavily charged.

"I like her."

"Huh, no." I commented absently. "You don't get to like anyone, not even remotely. And what was that?"

"What?"

"How did you know..."

"About your past indiscretions with my other nephew?" That sounded so wrong on so many levels. "I can access anything Cameron knows, of course. My soul's immortal, his isn't. Mine is stronger. We immortals can do a lot of things without needing Power, little girl."

He called me little girl again and I was going to commit bodily arm. Not like Cameron would feel it.

"How was my Cam-impersonation?" We were walking down a hall, going for my locker. Well, I was. He was following.

"Shut up."

He leaned on my neighbor's locker, arms crossed.

"I guess it was great." I rolled my eyes. "It's not that hard acting like him, we have common denominators—"

That did it.

Screw the fact he was King of Hell. He was in my boyfriend's body, was making me uncomfortable and stir crazy. I punched his stomach, hard enough to warrant a gasp, more of surprise than hurt. Satisfying nonetheless.

"Cameron is nothing like you. You don't know him, I don't care that you can tap into every little memory, every tiny emotion he's ever felt. You don't understand him. He is not you." With that little piece off my chest, I marched for Mr. Carter's class.

Lucifer was hot on my trail and I heard the whispered words before piling into the room.

"If we have nothing in common, how come his ability matches one of mine?" Air lodged somewhere in my throat.

It was said abilities developed according to a person's personality. Cameron could use and create electricity in any form, so could Lucifer.

Brushing past me, Lucifer slouched in Cameron's usual seat. A very pleased, secret smile on his face.

Phillip came in very close to the tardy bell, which didn't sit well with Mr. Carter, then again, nothing ever did. Wasn't like he cared. He all but bitch slapped our teacher into next week.

Warning bells rung every time the younger twin breathed.

He was in a mood.

Enough to make everyone sweat. In here, it was a hot spring day, outside a cold, rainy Virginia special. By the time the focal ideas of Pride and Prejudice were summarized on the board, I felt the pen slip from my fingers. The guy was barbecuing us!

I kicked the back of Phill's chair.

His head whipped around. The look he threw over had be me squirming.

"What?" he grunted.

"It's becoming a sauna." I whispered.

Whatever quick retort he had going, never came.

"I never realized you had to chat in order to take notes, Miss Cortez." I lifted my eyes to the relatively young teacher. The guy was pulling at the collar of his shirt. He'd been wearing a sweater over it. "It's getting a little hot in here." He walked to the windows, opening one.

Racking a hand through wild hair, Phillip pipped up.

"Can I be excused?"

"No," Mr. Carter said. I think that gave him great pleasure. Denying things. Right up there with embarrassing students. "You can sit and work like the rest of your classmates. School was made for learning, not—"

Every pair of eyes converged on Phillip. The chair rattled as it was pushed back. He went for the door in a total casual pace, throwing a hard glare at his "brother".

"I just thought I'd ask." And Phillip left—banging the door.

Once he did, overbearing heat flooded outside. Mr. Carter was stunned. I avoided a giggle, and when my teacher glanced Lucifer's way, there was no room for amusement.

"Tell your brother he has detention on Saturday."

Drumming a pencil to the beat of an unknown song, he leaned back.

"That doesn't seem fair."

"Are you a judge, Mr. Leale? I don't think so. This is my class room and nothing can possibly justify your brother's behavior."

"I don't know," Lucifer mumbled with Cam's sarcasm. "Maybe he was itching."

A beat of silence. Then, a round of laughter ensued and I couldn't help myself. My lips perked—I covered my mouth.

Wearing a trademark lazy smile, he rubbed his neck. Now, Mr. Carter was stupefied.

"Oh come on," Lucifer went on. "I'm sure you know what it feels—"

The thirty-year something teacher's face became taut.

"If you choose to shut up now, I'll take in consideration you're one of my best students, and not give you two detentions."

That's when I threw a serious angry glare his way. Lucifer pretended not to notice. He dropped his arms on the desk, leaning forward, not saying another word.

My heart settled in its cavity.

Vanessa glanced over, giving a reassuring smile. I'd clued her in on what went down yesterday, before class began. She'd been shocked.

And because having Father of Lies attending class wasn't worry enough, Sam was a no-show. If she didn't have a Demon inside her, that'd be peachy. She did. And Mary Mother knew what she was out doing...

Class let out. Phillip hadn't come back. I packed his stuff and carried his bag out. Dejà vu hit me like a cold shower. Months ago, when I started school, I'd walked these same halls in search for the same boy. Carrying the same bag.

Back then I'd been a lonely freak. Things were way simpler. Now, I was still a freak, only with other freaky friends.

"Need help?" Zeke's blond head came into view as he walked beside me.

"Nah, it's fine." I'd carried heavier bags, longer, too. "Where's Lu—Cameron?" He'd walked out behind me.

"Other side of school? We have history now." Oh. My belly coiled. Phillip and Lucifer alone in a room? Not alone, but without me to maintain the frail balance of Phillip's temper? "I can take that for you. Phillip's going to be there, seriously."

He had a point. Plus, trigg was just around the corner.

"That would be really cool." I smiled as he did, handing over the—our hands touched.

I was hurtled into a complete different setting.

A flash of material—a shirt—black and red, skipped by. A gasp built in my lungs. I knew what this was, I remembered. A vision. Holding a deep breath, I focused on slowing the images, making sense of the muddle of voices and colors.

It wasn't just any shirt, but a Jersey. With a number 2 on the back.

Oh God—it was Zeke's. He was wearing it and... and I saw his face. Lips half open, baby blues wide and void. Skin dull, lifeless...

Dead.

"Nina? Hey, you okay?" Focusing on reality, I put up the yellow wall, keeping my Power in check. Zeke's large hand was on my shoulder, his head dipped with concern. "You spaced out for a minute there."

"I..."

"There you are!" Dawn popped at our side, touching her boyfriend's forearm. I took a step back as she began rambling "...I know how much you hate skipping breakfast. So, I went and got you this." She handed over a Twix.

I watched as head-over-heels smile crowded his face. Zeke bent down and kissed her fully. And if I wasn't feeling sick and confused, I might have minded.

"Thank you, babe. You're the best." He took the candy, flinging Phillip's bag over a nicely built shoulder.

Dawn's buzzing good mood grew.

"Don't you forget it." Noticing me, she turned, "You're looking a little pale, Nina. Have you been having fainting spells again?"

Incapable of looking at either of them without losing my mind, I walked away. More like skipped. I stopped when I was in the bathroom, behind a stall. Back collapsing into the door, I bit my lip, trying to pretend I didn't just see one of my friend's dead.

Or that he wasn't the nicest guy around.

Or that he wasn't Dawn's freaking boyfriend.

Who she loved.

But I had seen it—him. Lying dead on a dirty grayish floor.

I hugged my sides, shutting my eyes. I could really use Cameron about know.