‹ Prequel: Infernal
Sequel: Purgatorial

Ethereal

Chapter 19 - Fool's Paradise

Nina's POV

It was bright and early. Too early for any sane person to be walking around. It made perfect sense that I was up. I'd spent enough time in this house to know where not to step so the wood wouldn't creak.

Down on the first floor, I looked around, sighing.

I had no idea what woke me up. Could've been the itching in my neck, back soreness, or just the emptiness. It threatened to chew and swallow me, some days. It was the alone feeling I'd felt for so long, before coming to Haven Hills. A big part of it had been because of my ability, the other...

I missed Cameron.

God, I hated sounding like one of those girl's whose life revolved around one guy, but... It wasn't like Cam was hanging out with another girl, or not texting me back, he was being held captive in his own body. It wasn't even about being with him, kissing or any other fun activity we'd surely be delving into if things were normal.

It was about his safety.

It must've taken a lot for him to bypass the seal and Lucifer. But he'd done it. He'd gone to the hospital.

I couldn't pull out a single memory from that damned ring. Even though his freedom depended on it—on me. Argh. It was a good thing I'd made it past the parlor, otherwise I might've torn the tapestries. I'd spent hours last night with Etna's possession clutched in my hand, willing my Power to work on it.

I'd fallen asleep trying.

So, I could add another failure to my list.

A sudden chill made my arms wrap around myself. I'd walked all the way into the library. I remembered coming to their house once, a little later than this. I came here to take Cameron up on his offer to teach me how to control my Power. Had walked right through the front door, waltzed into the Leale library... And the cellar door had been open.

Today it was closed.

My arms squeezed more—I winced. Car accident, bruises? Geez.

I tilted my head at the door. Going down there gave me the creeps. Biting my lip, I stretched out a hand, rotating the knob. I walked carefully down the stone stairs, reaching level zero once my shoes hit soft soil. I hadn't come down here since we'd left Virginia.

Light bulbs lit the moldy basement, shining light on the crafting table off to the side and the shelves filled with jars.

What made me jittery was the door, though. It looked like a safe door from Gringotts.

I'd seen behind the door once, when Cam freed Raph. The only things beyond it were Golden Chains. Something I'd never understood...

"What are you doing up so early?"

Jolting, I spun around.

"Why do you follow me everywhere I go?"

Lucifer kicked away from the wall with a not-so-innocent smile.

"I'm hoping pressure will get your Power up and running. I could hear you last night, in your bedroom—"

"That's not creepy."

"You sounded very frustrated." One: this guy had serious boundary issues. Two: I didn't like it. "I assumed you have nothing for me?"

Grinding my teeth, I scowled.

"Don't gloat."

"Oh, I'm not. I actually wanted to be wrong, because I've been waiting all this time, Nina, and today I woke up feeling... not so generous." He pressed his lips together, shrugging.

I lost some composure, feeling alert.

"See, I'm starting to wonder if your grandmother was wrong. What if you can't see into the past? That would be a major inconvenience for me. And it would make Cameron expandable." I didn't even blink as he loomed inches from me, half of his features shadowed. "Is he expendable, Nina?"

Unable to conjure any quick wit, I whispered, "No... he's not."

"So you can see into the past?"

"Yes."

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. In a second, static spilled from his body and glass burst, making me jump. Lucifer advanced toward me, I took a step back for each of his and as he walked closer, a whole row of jars exploded. It took all I had not to scream.

I hit a wall, eyes flinching closed as shards flew.

Lucifer's hand smacked inches above my head. I felt the wall tremble, no joke. Not meeting his eyes, fearing that I might start bawling, I took quick breaths.

"I don't think I believe you. I haven't seen you do it, not even once! So think twice about lying to the Devil, child. Many others have regretted it."

"I'm not lying... Cameron knows I can do it—he's seen..."

Another hand grasped my chin, yanking my face to his.

"I don't care what Cameron knows or what he saw. I trust what I know. What I see. And I've seen nothing from you."

There was a good chance my knees were going to give out. Not for good reasons.

"I can do it..." I mumbled.

"Then why couldn't you see anything last night? You wanted something of hers. I gave it to you. If you're so sure you can do it, why isn't it working? Maybe you're telling the truth—but maybe your motivation isn't strong enough." I winced as his fingers dug into the hollows of my cheeks. "Is that it, Nina? You don't love him enough?"

"No," I tried shaking my head. Nothing. "I love him—I love him more than anything."

I'd never seen Cam's face so scary. Maybe I'd seen it, just not at me. His nostrils flared.

"What's wrong then?"

Choking a sob, I stayed glued to the wall as his hand dropped away, face leaning away. I shook my head, not trusting my voice.

Sighing in a melodramatic way, Lucifer gave a disapproving glare assuming a casual attitude by putting his hands on his hips, like he hadn't just terrorized the crap out of me.

"I'll kick back and laugh as I rip every layer of your boyfriend's soul. And you'll feel everything." He whispered with a glib smirk. "Downside of being with your Twin Flame for so long, if the emotions are deep enough, the other one can feel them." He added.

I didn't even know how he knew that.

Cameron's body began to twist, writhe out of existence. I stifled a cry as a crunch came from his legs—he fell, face down. Next, Cam's skin split all the way from the base of his neck and under the T-shirt. A black, slithering body uncurled. A snake—like the seal—lifted its head, eyes shining red.

The voice became an insidious whisper, rattling around my mind, as the forked tongue hissed at me.

Then, I'll let Cameron out jussst ssso you can sssee what I did to him.

I closed my eyes, drawing a breath that couldn't quite reach my lungs.

My stomach felt like toppling off a cliff when the cobra sprung. Suddenly the iron door was gone, at least it felt like it up and vanished—I was falling back. Landing on my side, I grimaced, blinking.

What the hell?

Metal gray walls greeted me, barren soil and ceiling lights shone across the doom and gloom room. Across from me Golden Chains rattled. My shoulders squared and my insides twisted.

"Nina?" his voice echoed as if we were inside a metal tank.

But it was his and those—those were his eyes.

"Cameron?" I uttered softly, a sound that would've been lost to anyone else.

The shining surprise in those black-as-night eyes tore at every cell of my body. Just as I found strength to lift myself off the ground, a thought hit me in the head like a nasty curve ball.

A long, heaved breath escaped me.

"This... I'm dreaming. Again. It's another dream..." Any moment now, I would wake up. In my bed, in my bedroom, alone. Probably still clutching Etna's ring close, in a futile attempt to pull something out.

I couldn't remember if I'd ever felt such big urge to cry, lash out at my own subconscious for playing tricks—

"A dream?" Cameron's voice pulled me out of denial only to stab me deeper. "Hey, look at me. Nina—please. I'm not a dream, whatever is happening, it's... it's not fake. Please," the over-confident voice was damn near cracking. My teeth were grinding so hard. "Please look at me."

Against better judgment, my head tilted. If I was going to wake up from this cruel made-up fantasy, I might as well enjoy what I had while I could. Take the time to remember the already memorized facial lines, the way Cam's midnight irises were barely distinguishable from the pupils blackness...

My eyebrows melted into a deep V.

Tingles.

Tingles—hot and cold—ran down my neck, caressing my spine at their strongest. They were these tiny shocks short circuiting my nerves, driving my body and skin into overdrive.

One thing I knew from experience, was that no one could fake the connection between us. Back in Hell, in the forest, Helena had trapped in an illusion, making me see a battered Cameron. After I woke up in the Wastelands, I remembered there hadn't been a single tingle between us. It was the same in my dreams. Were they premonitions or not—tingles didn't happen in dream-land.

Cameron swayed back several steps as I threw myself at him, spider-monkey style. Legs coiled around his waist, arms wrapped to a suffocating level around his neck. The strange, yet soothing, bridge between us surged like never before as Cameron's arms enveloped me in a crushing grip.

This—whatever this was—was a late Christmas miracle.

"Please don't let go, please." I buried my nose into his neck, catching the painfully safe-scent of eucalyptus. "Oh my God..."

Cameron's muscles bulged hard as rock against me. Heat blazed in my chest.

"I won't," he whispered.

Needing to stare him deep in the eye, I manage to pull back enough, a short distance that puts Cameron's cherry lips an inch from mine.

"Promise me."

It's stupid to ask him something like that—I didn't think he knew what the hell was happening, more than I did. But Cam had never broken a promise to me. He took his word pretty seriously, he'd told me once.

With the kind of gaze that would take the world by storm, Cam leaned our lips closer, brushing them as he spoke with a steady, fierce voice, "I promise."

His lips covered mine in a sinful, deep kiss that in years to come would still haunt my day-dreams. Cam savored my bottom lip between his, I cocked my head, arching with something impossible to put into words. Tugging our mouths together, I licked a corner of Cameron's mouth—out tongues flicked against one another, sparking gasoline fires.

I dragged my hands up his neck, the silk of Cameron's hair tickled the ebbing of my fingers. I fisted my hands—he nipped my bottom lip, making a hungry, desperate sound. A much larger hand traveled along my spine, squeezing my thigh. Then it was gone, and a strong arm was underneath me, holding me steady.

Breath didn't seem needed, I could've kissed him forever. Cameron touched a cheek, though, and I leaned into it. Our eyes met creating our bubble, the world didn't matter, he wasn't a Nephilim and I wasn't a Psychic.

We were just Cameron and Nina.

No complications.

Just us.

I didn't even care about the aching spots on my body—they were dull with all the spiking adrenaline.

Cameron broke our gaze, leaning down. The response tore from me in the same instant.

There was this close proximity, our bodies didn't feel... solid. It was strange, because we were definitely touching. But... it felt deeper. Like our touch transcended skin, muscle and bone.

Soul on soul.

Lost for more time than we knew, our kisses began lasting longer, turning into soft explorations and unspoken 'I miss yous'. My fingers twisted Cameron's onyx locks softly, and my heart beat faster. There'd been moments when I never thought I'd do simple things like this—run my hands through his hair.

With arms still holding me upright, I lifted my head, staring unyielding into bottomless eyes. It had been too long. Words of how much I missed them—missed him—failed. I squeezed Cameron with my own embrace, fingers carved into his shoulder blades.

"This feels so real," I murmured into a cotton black shirt.

I blinked once, as weirdness struck. Cam was dressed in all black. Nothing particularly strange there. But I was dressed in all yellow. Yellow skinny jeans, tank top and even Converse.

It was my favorite color... But I'd never dressed myself this way.

"What is this?" I asked, leaning my right cheek into a sturdy chest.

There was silence. Cameron breathed deep for a few minutes.

"I haven't got a freaking clue, little bird." Hearing that nickname made me want to fall on my knees. "But I'm enjoying every damn second." So was I. "Although," he ran a hand through my shorter hair. "I have a theory. It might be a little far fetched and maybe it's putting too much on our. Twin Flame soul bond or whatever Jade calls it—"

I sunk my finger between his pecks.

"Tell me!"

He smiled. A ravishing wolf smile. Dear me. There was no faking that either.

"Our souls are connected in this deep way because they are part of each other. Together they make a whole... A few days ago, when you had the accident—" I sucked in a breath. "I felt you. More than ever. I felt your every emotion, your soul was calling for mine. I was able to steal control thanks to you. Like you were throwing me a rope to climb out, all so I could get to you."

Well, if this was real, Cameron was on the romantic side today. The smile on my face could barely convey the happiness rejoicing my every inch.

"The point is, for a minute, our souls were linked."

"Almost like... They were one." Whole, I thought and I shuddered longingly.

"Yeah," he nodded. "So what if... What if this is the same thing? What if our souls are linked right now and we're in this... Dream-reality?"

A manifestation. We didn't know what souls looked like, so it would make sense that we'd see something we did understand. And I doubted Twin Flames who were just humans shared this, it was thanks to Power, too. Which would explain the yellow. I pictured my Power as a yellow force, Cameron probably saw his as black, slightly tinged blue. Our bodies weren't actually present—our souls were and our Power was enveloping each of us, making the connection lasting, anchoring us in this conjured plane.

"Why here though?"

"Because this is what my prison looks like, in my mind." He shared quietly.

I sucked in a deep breath. What was it with this prison-basement? I got the distinct feeling he hated it.

"Outside," I began, jutting my head in the door's way. "I saw you—Lucifer as you. Then it... it became a snake."

"That's the seal. It keeps me from getting out by showing fears. Worst fears," Cam trailed off, shaking hair into his eyes. I reached quickly for his face. "Don't." He grunted lowly.

I mulled the question over and over. What do you see? How many times have you gone against your nightmares...? But Cameron wasn't the sharing type, not without arguing a hundred times before caving. I feared our connection would break if we fought.

I let it slip.

"I got in, though." I wasn't sure if Lucifer threatening me was my biggest fear—but it was surely among them. "It only showed up after I got down here."

"It's not used to break-ins?" Cam's joke busted a laugh out of me. An honest to God laugh. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear you laugh."

Both thumbs brushed the wide, symmetrical cheekbones. Cam relaxed, bending his head down. Eyes slipping closed, he tugged me into him and pulled us to sit down, against a wall. Like promised, his hold was ever present on my hips.

"Have you been here since...?"

Cameron shook his head, "My 'prison' from before was a lot more weird. A room filled with mirrors, like I was trapped in the mirror itself. But I could see and hear whatever Lucifer did, here, I can't see and I can barely hear." He scowled. "After I lost control at the hospital, the seal pushed me deeper. Imagine there are several layers to my mind, the mirror room was the first level, this one is the basement. The really dusty, moldy part I don't particularly visit."

Yeah, I got that.

"How are you?"

I bit my lip, shrugging. Telling him this was the highlight of my entire month was mute. Cameron already knew it.

"Angry and confused most days," I whispered. "Worried, too. About everything. There's just so much going on... I thought taking care of the Succubus would mean I got to focus on you. On finding Etna—"

"Your long, long lost ancestor aunt?" I perked an eyebrow up at him. A crooked smirk showed. "I heard that part. Wasn't expecting it."

"Exactly. Only I can't... I have the ring, all I need to find out where she is. I just can't—I can't."

"Why?" he stroked down the nape of my neck.

"Because," I breathed, shutting my eyes and seeing unshakable visions that infernally plagued my dreams. "Zeke." I blew out a long ragged sigh, looking up. "My family. My middle school teacher. Everyone I ever foresaw dying. Everyone that has died."

Cameron studied me as I curled up, scooting closer into his embrace searching for solace in the only person that could quiet my fears, the unwavering anxiety of failure and the bitterness of fate.

"You're afraid," he mussed, reading my heart like an open book. I could feel Cam's gaze burning a hole in my head. "You shouldn't be. I know who you are, Nina. You're the girl who faces danger, the one who calls my bullshit, the kind of girl who wants to see goodness in people—who gives them a second chance."

Awed by each and every syllable tumbling from his lips, I glanced up, winded. A lip corner itched up.

"You're..." I trailed off.

"Downright awesome?"

A little smile played on my face.

"Good to see your modesty is still kicking." Cam shrugged a broad shoulder. The smile faltered. "I don't think I'm strong enough, Cam."

"Yes. You. Are." He took my chin sharply, gently, tilting it. Black eyes were ablaze. "You—"

"I'm not! Okay? I'm not." His mouth opened. "Not without you." It snapped shut, his jaw working a muscle. I felt an array of sadness sweeping over my body—soul. "I need you, and it sounds needy—which I hate—but I need you, Cam. I... I just do!"

Cameron pulled me into him so fast my neck hurt. His arms worked around me like bands of concrete. For the longest time, he simply held me in a bear crushing grip, my head tucked under his chin. Then, his velvet voice whispered secretly, "Remember back in New Orleans—at Spiritus?" It took awhile to recall that had been the Witchy store's name. "I told you about plants, herbs. That some had supernatural abilities? Well, there are some... some that can boost your Power. For a limited time, but still." My ears perked. "You'd need to find one that helps with your ability specifically and it's danger—"

The heavy-ton door clanked off its hinges.

Good God.

A black hole of massive proportions sucked everything in its wake. Well, not Cameron. So obviously everything was just me. My hands latched for Cam's forearms. He squished me further in the embrace.

"Cam—!"

"Nina," he yelled above the whirling-type noise. It was like standing face-to-face with a hurricane. "I think it's the connection, it's breaking."

"Why?"

"Maybe I'm waking up—Lucifer is. Or you." He bared his teeth as the suction grew. "You need to let go."

"No!" Was the first and only word. I wouldn't leave him—I needed him.

"You have to! If the connection breaks completely and you're still here... I don't know what would happen." Nothing good, his tone read. I cried his name again once the hold loosened. "Nina, I have to let you go," his words barely reached me. "I'm sorry, I know I promised I wouldn't. But I have to." His hair was being tossed all over, leaving Cam's eyes wide clear. There was pain. Sorrow. "I'm sorry."

Then he let go. And for the life of me, I couldn't keep a steady grip. My fingers slipped, the black hole drew me in.

My chest spasmed in a sudden need for breath. Back arching, I sat up quickly, almost head-bumping Jade in the process. She was crouched beside me, eyes big.

I shivered.

This wasn't my room. I was down in the basement. The real one. The Golden Chains were across from us and the monster door was thrown wide open. How in blue blazes had I gotten here? Had I made the same steps here—in reality—?

My head was sorta achy.

"Jade what...?"

She shook her head, causing lascivious waves to shake.

"I don't know. I saw you coming down here minutes ago and thought nothing of it. But... I was worried when you didn't come up. I didn't hear any noise, either. When I came down to check on you... You were sleeping here." She'd woken me up, then. "Are you alright?"

"I..." I had no clue. What just happened—with mine and Cam's souls—it was complicated. Honestly, soul stuff was always the hardest for me to understand. "I need to go."

I jumped to my feet, making Jade edge back nearly falling on her rear. Maybe later I could ask her about souls melding together in a dream-reality or in a person's mind. Right now, I had a backpack to tear through.

She called for me but I was running upstairs. The sun rays shimmered through the tall, elegant windows of the library. The fireplace in the parlor was out and birds were chirping loudly outside—it was early. Like in my... meeting with Cam.

I stepped on all the creaky places going up the stairs, I all but threw the bedroom door open, shutting it on reflex. Cam reminded me of something—something a Witch had given me before we left on our journey. Only he didn't know I had it. I'd never told him, it had never come up.

I got on my knees rummaging through my closet, pulling out the mountain backpack Romeo had retrieved and given to me. Opening its front pouch, I pulled out the old book on plants and herbs, their uses and effects. But that wasn't all.
My fingers curled on a vial.

I peered through the glass. Four seeds rested inside it. I'd completely forgotten about them until now. They were Datura seeds, I think. They increased my ability and... How many was I supposed to take?

I flipped through the book. There was nothing on it about quantities, only about its effects on my ability to see past and future.

I needed a kick in the ass. I was stuck on being scared of what I might see. Because so far all my Power had caused me was emotional pain. That's why it wasn't working. Deep down, I didn't want it. But if I took these... It would. My Power would take over until the Datura was out of my system, taking the wheel as I learned about Etna.

Clutching the vial, I walked to my bed, sitting. The fiery stone shone at me. Breathing a deep one before going under, I grabbed Etna's ring, slipping it on my index finger. I took off my necklace so my Power didn't get confused with what we were examining, I set it on the bedside table.

Next, I unscrewed the lid and stared down at the brown seeds. They were smaller than M&M pieces. One wouldn't be enough, right? Two? Three?

Telling my worry-worm consciousness to shove it, I popped three in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Valentine's day!
Here's my gift to all of you. I hope Cam and Nina's reunion both surprised you and excited you. That kiss was one of my favorite to write :) To clear things up, yes they were together. Not a dream. Or a vision. It was real - well, realish. It was between their souls. The important thing is that it happened.
Want more?