‹ Prequel: Infernal
Sequel: Purgatorial

Ethereal

Chapter 24 - The Lovers That Went Wrong

Phillip's POV

"Wow," Serena gaped behind me. "That's a lot of tarp."

We were in the garage getting supplies to cover all the broken windows, while Jade kindly cleaned the shards from the library. I dug out large tarp pieces, hoisting them on my shoulder.

"You wouldn't believe how often windows break in this house. People in glass industry thank us, I'm sure." I walked over to a cabinet where thick duck tape was stashed. "Can you close that?"

Serena closed the tarp closet.

"You're angry."

We left for the house.

"Wouldn't you be if someone you loved cared so little about themselves?"

"I guess I would." Jade walked past us with a duster filled with tiny glasses. "I thought you'd be angry about the punching part, though."

"No," I dumped the blue tarp by my feet, then pulled a chair from the library's huge table. "It's Cam's way of saying he cares. Not the most common or comfortable, but I've gotten used to it. And..." I picked up a tarp, climbing on the chair. "I get where he was coming from. I know why he was afraid—hand me tape, please—but we did this so he'd be safe. He could show the tinniest bit of happiness."

I cut tape pieces with amazing speed, covering each window—three windows—with blue tarp at a speed no one could match. At least, no human. Job done, I put the chair back in its place. Serena was leaning on the table with her arms crossed.

"Thank you," she blinked, startled. "For everything you've done—thank you. The Succubus wasn't your responsibility. You didn't need to stay and help with the body-snatching situation."

"Actually, the switcheroo problem is my responsibility. Since I was the one who put Lucifer's soul in Cameron's body." Fair enough. Serena's arms dropped, she rubbed her hands on the front of her jeans, biting her lip. "I should thank you, though. For... making me stay. You were right—it hurts that you were, but it's true. My Mom and sister are gone... Life will never go back to how it was before she..." she stopped.

"She—your Mom?" she shook her head. "Your sister?" Again, no.

"Just... before I went to Hell." Doubt jumped me. Serena was keeping something from me. It wasn't the first time she said something weird. Like when we'd kissed, she said she'd hurt me.

But I didn't want to worry about it. Because somehow, my brain told me Serena was trustworthy. When she wanted to open up about whatever, she would. It wasn't like I'd shared with her that my brother had killed our Father.

We made our way upstairs. Everything was quiet. I heard two heartbeats coming from Nina's room, my nose wrinkled. I hoped my brother had enough hormone-control, doing something with Nina while in that dude's body... I shivered.

Serena went to her guest bedroom, I went to mine. Minutes passed as I took a shower, getting rid of all the road-tripy grossness, shaved and finally, I was slipping on flannel bottoms when my door creaked. Serena walked in—she froze.

Pretty blue eyes pinned my chest, ogling. I felt like man-candy, as long as I was hers, I had no problem with it.

"Something you like?"

"Yeah, the... song. I love this song." I nodded with a pensive expression. I walked toward my stereo, cranking up Do I Wanna Know.

"It's one of my favorites, too." I pressed the repeat button. "You're still staring."

Serena bit her lip. Her eyes traveled from my neck, across my chest, stopping on my hips where my jeans were hanging low.

"We never got to talk about..."

"You kissing me?"

"Yeah,"

"And me kissing you back?"

"Yup," she popped the word. "And the snuggling part."

"Right. Can't forget that." I grinned taking my time walking over to where she was fidgeting. Serena on a mission was a completely different person. We'd spent most of our trip quiet, or fighting over what station we should listen to. "Did you like it?"

She pursed her lips, nodding.

"So did I."

"Okay then. We're good."

"Was it enough talking for you?"

Serena's lip corners curled up.

"Great," I yanked her up-close by the hips, she buckled against me once our lips met.

Slender fingers glided between my ripped abs causing me to hold her tighter. I slowed my lips, sucking on her full bottom one. Serena's hands curled on my shoulders—I hoisted her. She wrapped both legs around my waist.

I walked us to bed never releasing her savory lip. She was gasping for air but didn't back up, she wanted me just as badly. It drove me crazy. A part of me shifted into place. A part that had never been found before was here in her arms. I felt this equality between us, no judgment.

I lowered us onto my bed.

Serena dug her fingers into my hair. The feeling was a maddening rush of magnetism and she was a beautiful thing when we pulled apart, looking at me through thick eyelashes. I kissed her under the chin, dragging kisses all the way to her collarbone. She twisted beneath me, turning her head left. I made an appreciative noise, taking my mouth to the exposed skin—I could taste the sweet vanilla cream as I sucked on the tenderness of her neck.

"Phillip..." she breathed in my ear. Cold shivers shook my muscles. I loved my name on her lips.

"Mmm?"

Serena's face pinched in pleasure once I nibbled on a spot behind her neck. She didn't say anything, only guided one of my hands down to the hem of her top.

I nudged her nose with mine, softly.

"You got it."

My hands were quick grabbing hold of her top, Serena lifted her arms so it would come off already. It got tossed somewhere. She didn't stop there. Her hands vanished behind her and she unhooked her bra.

Her lacy black bra. I had half a mind not to whistle, but I more than grinned.

"Is this too fast?" I asked, letting both hands skim her naked waist. She squirmed closer.

She giggled tracing my forearm muscle.

"I'm not a virgin." I didn't think she was. Serena drew her legs around me. "I like you, Phillip. I like you a lot..." her pink tongue traced my bottom lip. "I've liked you since the day I met you."

Eyes closing on contact, I whispered into our lingering kiss, "Me too..."

Hands ran every square inch of skin, mine and hers. There was unzipping, jeans were kicked off. She heaved breathlessly against my shoulder as our bodies pressed into a perfect match. My blood was afire with her licking, nipping at my ear lobe and I found my strength—to offer myself to her. Heart and body. I wanted her to be sure I was hers, with no fear for rejection.

I cradled her face, placing kisses on her lips without barely touching them. Her touch sent blood pounding to every part of me, but especially to a special place down below. My mouth danced up-and-down every avenue of skin, going south and taking my time mining for her ecstasy, then I moved slower—up-state—teasing each delicious inch of Serena's body.

Her hands weren't shy either, they left me aching for more, faster and harder. I needed her. I needed her so badly I was panting in her ear.

I was never quicker ripping open the little package, slipping it on and sinking. Serena's sky-blue eyes fluttered underneath her lids. I captured the soft sounds she made with a kiss—one she prolonged, caging my neck.

I moved at a pace she wanted me to, guided myself for her sake and did everything in my power to worship Serena's angelic nature.

We went into the night, hot and heavy, delicate and gentle. And all the time I felt what she always brought out in me, acceptance.

I was just me and it was enough.

***

Nina's POV

England

1864


Angels had come in mass yesterday. I had no idea of how we were still alive. Well, it had something to do with Lucas being the most powerful man I had seen. His Power seemed unlimited and I had a sneaking suspicion he did not use a third of it against Authorities. Not that Dominions were that much harder for him to kill...

Just hours ago he had crushed a Dominion's head between his hands! It had been nauseating...

What Uriel said about Michael had been true. He wanted to eliminate me, thinking I would redeem the Devil's followers and the King himself. Michael could not be farthest from truth.

"Hurry," Lucas ground out, jerking his chin into a deep woodland. "More are coming. They are trying ambush us." He snorted.

"Can they do that? Trap us...?"

"They can try." Lucas dragged me by the hand towards a wide lake shore. "We have to run across this," I looked for a pebbled path between the shores. There was nothing connecting the two margins. Just water. "We have to run over water. Which means run very fast. Can you do it?"

My cheeks puffed out, "Running is something I have been practicing since I was little."

He nodded shortly, a shadow of a smile crossing his face. Just when we were ready to run across, to get away from the ongoing hunt behind us—Romeo and some others were holding the Angels back—a burst of Power erupted nearby. It was a calm ocean wave, lazy but unpredictable. The Power was not familiar to me, to Lucas, though... It seemed to be. He stopped, glancing left where a man in his mid-twenties was.

I saw a brief flash of dark wings being drawn in, then, all that was left was a boy with pure dark hair, striking blue eyes and a face that would make a sculpture weep.

His perfection rivaled Lucas.

He stepped forward, I stepped back.

"Long time, brother." He spoke in an easy voice, not hostile at all.

"Gabriel," Lucas murmured.

My eyes drunk him in. He was dressed in a similar manner to Lucas, except his shirt was white, not black. And... four buttons of his shirt were undone revealing a fair expanse of chest. I blushed looking elsewhere.

It was then I noticed the electricity cackling in Lucas' palm. I opened my mouth to stop him, I remembered what Romeo said about Gabriel, what I had seen and felt in Lucas' soul. I could not let my safety ruin the last family bond he had.

Gabriel held up both hands, though, which Lucas took as defeat.

"I thought you were going to blast me, Luc."

Lucas narrowed his eyes, "Call me 'Luc' again and I still might." His voice held fake animosity, I could tell he was relieved. "Michael sent you in his place? I feel insulted."

The slight grin on Gabriel's face faltered into a scowl.

"I could take you."

"I taught you everything you know, little brother. In a fight, I would win." My lips twitched. This was... the most human interaction I had seen Lucas have—besides with me. "Did he send you or not?"

Gabriel took a step closer and I could not help but backup.

"Not," he breathed, eying me for the first time. "Believe or not, Michael is planning to come himself if the others do not kill her. Sorry for the bluntness."

"It is... fine." I replied, rubbing my arms against the biting cold. Michael was coming?

Lucas exhaled loudly, hands fisting.

"Thanks for the warning. You can leave now."

His younger brother shook his head.

"I came here for something else," he rubbed his neck, sighing. "Michael says you want to use her to redeem the Fallen, so you can invade Heaven. I know it is not true." I looked up at Lucas, questioningly. His eyebrows were arched. Gabriel let out a laugh. "I have a Vampire friend—"

"You have a Vampire friend?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes at his brother's skepticism.

"Yes. Her name's Courtney. How we met is a very long story and we do not have time for it. But she is my friend, and like you know, Vampire's can read minds. When Uriel arrived home yelling how she had been right all along, blah, blah. I asked Courtney to... spy."

"You what?" Lucas deadpanned.

Gabriel grinned, "I helped, of course. I found a very powerful Witch who cloaked her. You would've sensed her around your house, otherwise. It was not easy finding you with all the wards, but we did. She could not look into your mind, so, she looked into your sweetheart's." He pointed at me. "It must be true what they say about Devil's luck. Do you know how many people find their Twin Flames?"

"Very little?" I squeaked when fits of yells came from within the forest. Angels were drawing closer.

He nodded.

"I know why you cannot tell anyone. You have too many enemies. But Michael will not stop chasing after this girl—he has made up his stubborn mind, you know how he is."

"Does this conversation have a point, Gabriel? Angels are coming closer."

Gabriel was suddenly standing a foot away from Lucas, looking directly into his brother's mercury pools.

"You are powerful, but not even you can outrun the army he is sending here. It is massive. And he will come—"

"Let him," he breathed lowly. "I will kill him."

Gabriel shook his head slamming a hand on Lucas' shoulder.

"He might be a prick but he is still our brother, just like you are still my big brother. I know Michael's betrayal hurt you but killing him will only accentuate the pit in your heart. It will not heal your wounds, brother." Lucas' gaze slipped to the lake. He cursed under his breath. Gabriel's hand tightened. "You can avoid a war, you can avoid Michael—I can help you."

Lucas pinned his brother with a hard glare.

"How would you do that?"

"That powerful Witch I mentioned? She is on the other side of this lake—I told her to be here. She can perform a spell—one that will make it seem Etna is dead. It will only last a day. The spell will slow her heart's rate to a minimum, not even we can hear it. Her skin will pale, her body will smell like death. You let Angels see her and they will think she is dead."

"They will leave..."

"Yes."

"It is a good plan." Gabriel smiled boyishly. "Why are you helping us?"

"Because," he pursed his lips. "Because despite everything you have done, everything you have become, I can still see the person you once were. Because you are still my family, my brother and I cannot help but love you. And..." blue eyes dropped to me. "Everyone should know love, at least once."

I lurched suddenly. Sharp pain blazed in my left shoulder blade, spreading like a berserk fire in my veins. Lucas' arm shot around me, angling my body into his just in time to keep my legs from folding beneath me. The stab... it was close to my heart, biting skin in a deadly promise.

Everything became muddled through my eyes, voices sunk in my ears, becoming dull and hollow. I felt movement—a shard moved. Someone screamed. The way my chest spasmed... it was me. The shard's movement stopped. Air rushes blasted my body from every direction, water sprinkled my face, but in my back a warm liquid pooled.

Then, in a single instant, everything stood still.

Fingers grasped my chin stopping my head from lolling like a doll's and through the blinding pain—why was I not healing?—I saw his eyes, I felt our connection. I saw lips moving, I could not make out the words. I wanted to—more than anything, because if I was going to die, I wanted to hear his voice. Healing was not working, so, I channeled my Power to hearing.

"Kitten," I finally heard. "You will be okay, I will make sure of it. I promise." He stroke my face slowly, lovingly. Warmness bubbled up my throat—Lucas' face got splattered with red dots. "Hurry up!"

What was going on?

"It is open," a voice I could not place—a woman's voice—said. "What are you doing?"

I was still in Lucas' arms but saw glimpses of his face, his brows were drawn together, his jaw line heavily tense... He had something in mind. My soul was not certain I would like it.

"She is severely wounded," he breathed to someone, maybe the woman. "Because of me. If they find out her whereabouts... I cannot go with you. I cannot know where she is heading. Take her and make sure she is healed—safe. Bring me proof—her ring."

My ring...? The ring my Mother had given me as a child? And where was I going—I did not want to go anywhere without him!

"Alright. I will do as asked in favor to your brother."

Lucas' loosened his hold and more blood rushed outside. I gulped.

"Easy, kitten." He whispered over my lips. He tasted them, tasted my blood, but I could barely summon energy to move my mouth to brush his. "Everything will be alright, I have a plan. It will work."

Those were the last words he said before I felt myself being lifted—by air—and moved by the same force, only there was something prickly about it. Not quite like Power... Magic, I decided. I found myself slipping into a whirlwind of sorts, tossing me about but not. My stomach's contents would have poured out of my mouth if I was not busy coughing more blood once the spinning motion ceased.

"...what..." I managed in a gurgle.

A soft sigh came from the woman, the Witch. She came into my foggy view, her dark hair pulled behind both ears and her mouth set in a suave line.

"Cling to life, child. This will be a delicate procedure." She informed walking forward, I felt my body trail above ground. "Listen to my voice, you cannot fall asleep with such a grave injury."

I wanted to ask just what had injured me. I did not have the ability to speak anymore, though. The Witch kept talking and all I could do was listen, hoping my Power and body would not fail me.

"...this is Summerland—one of them, at least. We call 'Summerland' to the place where immortal souls gather in abundance. You see, Magic comes from the immortal soul's energy, the one they release once their corporeal life has ended." A cold drop fell on my cheek. The air felt heavy, perhaps that was only me. "They like to gather where people cannot easily come, maybe they still retain some consciousness of their lives and wish not to be disturbed? Not even we know. This place—the Valley of Shadows—is particularly nasty to reach."

We were inside somewhere because it was dark, but suddenly, a vibrant blue illuminated the walls. The Witch tilted her hand and all of a sudden, I found my body upright, feet still floating. My vision grew spottier, yet, I caught a sight from where the dreamy glow came from. It was from the center of the room—it looked as if we were in a deep cave—and it looked like a giant crystal, blue topaz with a fiery tone inside.

Like the stone on my ring.

"We call these physical manifestations Ethereal Crystals. They are rare since we—Witches—were given the ability to see, feel and channel immortal souls' energy," as she spoke, her eyes were focused on the Crystal, her hand gesturing in an unfolding gesture. To my shock, the Ethereal began unwinding, like some sort of clay. "Ethereal is capable of the most amazing things. Healing is one of them," the Witch jerked the shard from my back—I could not hold a raw yell. "It is the only thing that can heal such a serious Azure dagger injury."

I could barely listen to her now, blood loss had became too severe, although... I felt something slip from my finger. My body floated closer to the Crystal, I saw the Witch growing in distance until I pressed into something hard. Then, in horror, I watched as she closed her fist and the Ethereal began drawing inside, closing over my body like a blanket.

I wanted to scream—punch my way outside. I was completely locked inside it, making it impossible for me to move. The strangest thing... was the sleep. The ruined tissue close to my heart sipped the lulling, my bones and muscles felt heavy and sore, rest became...

"Nina!"

Someone was screaming. Why did it feel like my bed was riding high seas?

Strong hands grabbed my shoulders, shoving me into the mattress. Lucas—no, Cam—hovered me with worried eyes. A groan escaped his lips.

"Stop thrashing." I was... Oh. I was the reason why the bed was jumpy. My legs were kicking. "It's me, it's Cam—"

"I know," I assured going to stroke his face—finding my hands pinned. "What... what happened?"

The mid twenties facial lines softened their creases. I felt happy, some worry vanished from Cam's gaze and he eased his hands on either side of my head instead.

"I woke up to you screaming. You were jerking everywhere and I couldn't understand what was wrong until I noticed you were still asleep." Lifting my right hand between us, I saw Etna's ring still on my finger. Cam frowned. "You almost gave me a heart attack and you're smiling? Did they do a CT scan back in the hospital?"

I was over-the-moon happy. I didn't even want to kick him for the remark. I'd done it! Lifting my torso off bed, I flung my arms around him, the muscles in his neck and back stiffened.

"I did it, Cam!"

"Did what?" he asked, still supporting his weight on both arms.

"Just before going to sleep I drew on my Power, I used it to pull memories from this ring—it's Etna's—and I pulled out the one I need. I know where she is!" Broad shoulders relaxed and Cameron sat up, dragging me into a sitting position as well. I looked at his face—huh, at Lucas'. "We can finally get this over with. We find Etna, free her, and you'll get your body back. Everything will be okay."

Cameron delivered me a sober look.

"Everything won't be okay. We'll be handing Lucifer what he wants. Etna is a Nephilim, one who probably has some mind-blowing ability that he can use to cause chaos, pain, death—"

"You don't understand..."

He arched an eyebrow, "I don't understand? Nina, he's the Devil. He's evil. Heaven kicked him out for a reason."

"Okay, yes. He's not the nicest person..."

Cameron heaved a groan rubbing his eyes with the heels of his palms.

"Why are we arguing about whether or not the Devil's bad...? Which, by the way, he is. Total universal truth." I felt my happiness dwindling. "It's almost six AM, lovebird."

Breathing in, I grabbed hands that weren't his. I missed Cam's touch. Even if I felt him inside this body, it wasn't the same.

"I know I sound crazy and I know this will sound even more unbelievable, but... Remember when I said I had a lot to tell you?" he nodded. "Well..." I started by telling Cameron about Etna's family, about her former Angel Mother—Ariel—her human father and about her twin sister, Elia. My great-great-something grandma. I told him about Etna's meeting with Lucas—explaining Lucas was Lucifer's actual name—I told him about Etna's ability, their training, Uriel showing up—everything. I told Cam absolutely all the little tiny details.

Err.

I didn't tell him about the steamy make-out-sex-scene I'd lived through Etna's memory. I had a feeling he'd enjoy it as much as I had. Ew.

I did share my knowledge on Ethereal Crystals and enjoyed the flabbergasted look on his face. I tread carefully as I unwound the last memory. I had to mention his Father, which I knew was like twisting a knife in his chest.

"Tingles?" Somehow, that's what his mind got stuck on. "Etna felt tingles? Like..."

"Me and you."

"No way."

"Cam,"

"It's just... Really?"

"Jade said all souls were whole in the beginning. Then they were split into halves, male and female. Which means everyone has a Twin Flame. They might not find each other because they might have lived in different periods, or, you know, the world's huge." I shrugged. "I felt her feelings, Cam. I know she loves him and he had a chance to use her ability. Heaven and her family turned against her—he could've pushed for revenge just to manipulate her. Lucas didn't."

Cameron's forehead was a deep V.

"Even your Father was willing to help." I said softly.

"Maybe my Dad was a bad judge of character." I pretended not to notice how the word Dad sounded hoarse, drenched in guilt. Always did. "He... mentioned Courtney?"

"Yeah. Courtney spied on Etna's thoughts. I guess you could call that evidence." Seeing him still reluctant, I edged closer, keeping our fingers laced. I stared head-on into those dark wanting eyes. "I know how this sounds, Cam. I do. But I need you to believe me." If it was this hard to make Cam believe what would it take with Phillip? "I need you to back me up, say I'm not nuts, I... I need your support."

If there was something we'd never been good at was supporting each other's decisions. Mainly because it usually ended up with one of us carrying out some risky plan.

He closed his eyes. My lips pinched. Anxiety churned within me as I felt tiny pieces of what he did: disbelief, trust, disbelief, trust. His emotions were wild ping-pongs. I focused on our connection, searching deeper, jolting when Cameron settled himself.

"I believe you," he tugged me forward, leaning down to kiss my head. I smiled. "Does this mean we have to free him?"

"Yes," the word was muffled by the shirt he was wearing. A tinge of vulnerability tumbled into his gaze. "What's wrong?"

He cupped my face with both hands.

"I can't use Power," he started. "Which makes me sort of... well, powerless." Cam let out a humorless laugh. "It's like a 'I can't live with it, but can't live without it' kind of thing. No Power means I can't even heal. I can't keep you safe, either."

"I've been scraping by so far."

"Not helping."

I knew what Cam was feeling. Helplessness, an annoying feeling screaming he wasn't useful. I'd felt like that when we left Haven Hills, I'd even told him he should've taken V instead.

I patted his chest.

"Now that I know where to find Etna you'll be back in your body in no time. You believe in me, right?"

"Never doubted you'd find out." He smirked. "I'm happy you finally managed to work your ability out."

I smiled from ear to ear.

"Yes!" I whispered. "How awesome is that?"

"Pretty awesome." He said smiling in a way that caused my chest to swell. It would've been an epic smile in his own body.

I felt my Power. It was still free. I prepared to mentally put it away when... When I felt something different. The prickling in my veins was stronger, it didn't bother or hurt nowadays, but its presence was heavier.

Weird.

I got totally distracted by Cameron's closeness. His head—Lucas' head—had bent to my chin and Cam pressed lips that weren't his to it.

Unholy Cambion babies everywhere.

He was testing me.

"I'm so proud of you," he breathed earnestly. "I wish I could show you just how proud."

Eep! If I didn't stop him I had a feeling I might find out—and I really wanted that. Only with Cameron. As a whole. He shifted me and my knee ended up lightly brushing something... something between his legs.

Hot breath showered my neck. We lingered that close for five minutes straight, they felt like torturous hours of scorching, deep rooted lust and darkening passion.

"I really need to get back in my body." Cam hissed, backing off. I seconded that. I pulled the thrown covers up to my chest, he chuckled. "Good call."

Cameron laid back down beside me. We let comfortable silence embrace us, basking in the presence of each other. Sleep slowly rolled around, my eyes faltered.

"...have you ever heard of... the Valley of Shadows?" I whispered, pressing my cheek against his side.

I felt him as tired as myself.

"Hmm, no. Not that I remember."

"But you know so many things..."

He chuckled deeply, "Sorry I can't amaze you this time." An arm hugged me close. "Sweet dreams, Nina..."

They would've been. But just as he said it, something outside shook the entire house. Flares of bursting light came in through the windows, almost blinding me. Cam twisted his body to spare my eyes and his.

"What the hell?" Had alien spaceships finally arrived or something?

Cam rolled from bed when the light died away, heading for the window quickly. I was right there with him, struggling to get a peek around Lucas' big body.

"Move..." my voice failed me. "...over."

Outside, coming from the forest's edge to the round fence, were—at the very least—a dozen of guys and girls. Some looked similar to each other, like whoever made them hadn't bothered with their looks. Blond hair, tall, well-built man. Blond, tall, curvy females. There were more, but blond heads were a recurrent trend.

"Is that—"

"Raphael." Cam bit out.

Angels trailed behind the Archangel, looking like an army. My throat tightened—Angels had come for Etna. To kill her.

"Nina," he side-glanced me. Urgency underlining his every word, "This is a good time to free Lucifer."