‹ Prequel: Infernal
Sequel: Purgatorial

Ethereal

Chapter 8 - Twinkle Little Star

Nina's POV

The following days were awkward. I'd never been so glad over the sheer size of the Leale household, or the affluence of Demons in Haven Forest. English was only place I couldn't avoid Cameron's black eyes. Couldn't resist how they chased mine from time to time, couldn't help that my chest throbbed strangely every time I looked away.

Running half an hour, every afternoon, didn't solve my problems. I still had to stare at Sam's fat smirk, and fear my boyfriend. I shuddered, shoving my hands deeper into the runner jacket.

Somehow Lucifer had found his way into Cameron's body. Someway, Cameron had been suppressing him.

Not all the time, an evil corner in my mind reminded me. Lucifer had taken Cam's body for a spin—more than once. Hearing it in my head... it still felt like a nightmare.

A buzzing startled me. I almost slipped on an icy patch on the side-road to the mansion.

My eyes brightened once I dug it out.

"Hey girly," Dawn cheered. "What is up?"

A honest-to-God happy laugh burst from me.

"Are you day-drunk or something?"

"Or something," a soft thud made it through. Knowing her, she'd probably plopped down on bed. "I just rented a whole Alien marathon and I'm just about to pop some corn. So, get your butt over here!"

I kicked fluffy whiteness, walking closer to the house in a rhythmic pace.

"I don't know,"

"Oh come on! What are you going to do all day? Study? Crawl in bed and hide from Cameron?"

"I don't crawl anywhere to—shut up." I pursed my lips, eye rolling when she giggled. "I do more than study and... avoid Cameron."

"Oh? Do tell."

I almost took the bait, opening my mouth to tell her about my research on Succubus, the search for a nearby, friendly Witch and my ongoing training to ninja stardom.

"I read." I provided, totally lame.

"Huh-uh," I could see her check her nails. "There's no way you're dumping me for adusty, old book."

I knew Dawn enough to know she wouldn't let this go. And I could use a distraction from the looming storm. I hadn't told Phillip about Lucifer. I wasn't sure how to tell him. Or if he could handle it. I still heard screams at night, when he tried to sleep.

"Okay. You win." I conceded, breathing cold air.

"Awesome!" She pierced my eardrum.

My tennis shoes slapped on the man-made rock path. I followed down the ample way that lead into the clearing around the house. Grass was buried, burned, under the snow's influence. Phillip usually melted—yes, melted—the snow off the cobblestone, but today, it hadn't been done. I hurried for the porch stairs, my socks going soggy.

"Another run?" My heart stuttered, faintly, until I realized there hadn't been a single tingle.

I walked deeper into the hall, looking inside the parlor.

"Burning calories," I shrugged the wet cotton jacket. "Not all of us have fast metabolisms."

Phillip smiled mildly, rolling his arms, sinking into the couch. His blue eyes on the carpets adorning the walls. I lingered for another half-minute before turning—

"Nina," I spied over a shoulder. "I have no idea what Cam did this time, but is there any chance you'll make up soon? He's been pissy all week. And," A dark, blond eyebrow arched. "He's been miserable without you."

"Phillip..."

"Please," he begged. "I can't take any more sad music—my ears will bleed." I fully turned around, walking to the couch. I braced my hands on its back.

"Sad music?"

Dropping his head on a pillow, he blinked, "He plays whenever you're not home. Just locks himself in his room..."

Suspicion grew inside, "Did he ask you to talk to me?" Blue eyes fizzled with pure innocence. Guess not. "Maybe you should go out more, then." Sad music, shmusic! He could learn to play piano, compose the saddest, most apologetic tune of all times—I still wouldn't forgive him.

Throwing jeans and a cozy sweatshirt onto bed, I walked for the shower.

***

Dawn had a strange alien fascination. Seriously. She cheered whenever the damn monsters popped out of shadowy halls and killed folk our age. About four months back, I would've called her creepy. But I'd gone into Hell—seen things that would've ate Alien for breakfast and asked for more.

Creepy was my life's definition.

"Zeke's such a wuss watching these," she popped a popcorn. "I swear he covers his eyes every bloody time a person gets snatched."

"Sounds like he's a sensitive guy." I passed her a teasing look.

Dawn gasped, feigning offense.

"You saying I'm heartless?"

"I'm saying you're way to turned-on by gory scenes."

Dawn gave a huge snort, clearing the admiration off her face.

"You really are dating Cameron." That came out of the blue. "The old you would never say anything like that."

The old me. It was becoming easier and easier for me to be who I was with Cameron—often, I wondered what my mother would think if she was still alive. Cam wasn't the type of guy she'd appreciate dating her sweet girl. But he wasn't the cold bastard he wanted to make believe. Dangerous, yes, but not to me. And I wasn't the little girl who was afraid of her dreams anymore.

Would mom like this me? A gut wrenching feeling made me wince. I'd never get an answer.

I turned back to the small TV screen.

We'd been curled up on Dawn's bed, watching the marathon, stuffing our faces with hand-fulls of popcorn. Between scenes, she chatted my ear off about Zeke's extra hours at the Lighthouse, how they were affecting his schoolwork. Zeke was a real responsible guy. His parents—like many—couldn't afford College. So, he was saving in case he didn't get that football scholarship.

What she really wanted to get into, though, was my boy trouble.

"Did he cheat on you?"

"What? No!"

"I didn't think he'd do it. But with boys you never know... I saw Gary eyeing Sam the other day. I was this close to slapping him."

My nose twitched. If Sam bewitched my friends, she wouldn't last long. Because somehow I'd get my hands on another Azure Dagger and stab her where it counted.

I crunched the sugary goodness harder, trying to block Dawn's voice. Those thoughts weren't good. Ever since she'd killed the College boy, I'd been prone to this faulty thinking. It was like a call, telling me to get it over with.

It would be easy—so much more than finding a Witch to pull the damned thing out.

Christ, I missed Cameron. With him, I got lost. Died to the world and problems. But... Cameron was one of those problems now. It cut my heart in ribbons.

A wave made me stop chewing. I glanced at Dawn with a demented look.

"Earth to Nina?" She snapped her fingers at me. "Something juicy going on in there?"

I closed my mouth, swallowing. Badly popped corn scratched my throat on the way down.

"No," I wished it was. "Just thinking."

"About the evil twin?"

"Sure," I dropped my chin on the pillow.

"You haven't told me what happened, girl. You better or me and Mr. Heartbreaker are going to have a nice long chat." She cracked her knuckles—making a pained expression—I held in a chuckle. "He may be tall, may be strong, but I have epic powers of distraction and know how to kick."

"I'm sure you'd win, but it's fine. We're just... going through some stuff." 'Stuff' being a manipulative soul. "He kept something from me, something he should've told. Because we're together—there shouldn't be any secrets! And he..."

I played kissy with her pillow. A soft pat on the head made me want to bawl. Laugh. Something—just react. Because I wasn't sure how to go about everything. Because deep down, I saw Cameron's point.

I couldn't do a thing to help. All I did was worry. It was killing me—I hated him for being right.

"I've known Cam for a long time. I might not know tons about him, but I do know he's not used to sharing. He never really lets people get close—I didn't even know he played guitar!" Her outburst was filled with raw hurt. When I turned my face, I saw those eyes soften. "What I'm trying to say is, letting you in was a big step. You can't expect him to change overnight."

I sat up, actually awestruck.

"You've gotta take baby steps. No one likes being kept in the dark, I get that, but I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you."

It was like listening to a relationship-Guru.

"When the hell did you become so wise?"

Dawn blew a curl off her forehead, "What do you mean when? I've always been wise."

"You think I should forgive him?"

"Did he say he was sorry?" Nope. Not once—I bit my lip. "What?"

"He didn't apologize," Dawn stayed silent, knowing there was more. "But he said... He said he hadn't told me because he loved me."

She might've had a three second stroke. Dawn was jumping, rolling all over the room before settling right in front of me. Getting all up in my personal space.

"He told you—oh my—I don't even..." she made it look like the second coming of Jesus. "Really? Wait—how come he said that and you're angry?"

"I sort of walked out." She blinked at me. "Not saying a word."

All the glitter in her eyes faded. Dawn glared at me long and hard.

"You what?" Yelp. I had the urge to back up. "He freaking told you—Nina! You don't do that. Not even to Cameron. He might be a jackass most times but... Really?" I nodded meekly. "Good God, girl. What's wrong with you? You sure he's not mad at you?"

Good question.

"I should talk to him?" I squeaked, hoping it would make mama bear simmer down.

"Yes!"

"Okay," I agreed, spur of the moment kind of thing. I pushed the bowl into her hands, jumping over the bed.

"What are you..."

"You said to fix things with Cameron."

"Yeah, but now?"Her curls bungee-jumped to her eyebrows.

"I don't like driving with all the snowand it'll be dark soon." With my luck, I'd find a lurking, bloodthirsty Vampire.

I picked up my bag deflating all her hopes of me staying longer. After she walked me to the door, I slipped inside my yellow birthday gift, starting the engine.

All week Cameron had wanted to talk. To apologize—maybe. But I hadn't been willing, I'd been closed minded and selfish. Thinking about my feelings, discarding his. Ignoring the fact that Cameron might lose control, not only for minutes or hours.

Permanently.

I was such a crappy person.

Reaching the town's limits, I drove grandma speed. On either road side, were lumbering pines, darkened by the clouded evening sky. Nightfall was here.

I cranked up the radio, listening to an alternative pop-song.

A white sizzle raced in front of my car. A blurred shadow ran from it. A scream ripped away. Hands turned the wheel, causing the car to spin at neck-breaking speed. I screamed again, closing my eyes—the car was going to topple.

Windows didn't break. There was no metal grazing on asphalt. Only a brief thud as the Volkswagen was put right on its wheels.

A hooded figure stood outside, putting a hand on my car window. With the other hand, he pushed the hood.

I couldn't get the window lowered fast enough.

"Nina—" Cam's hand reached inside, cupping my face. "Are you okay? The car it..."

"I'm fine," I leaned into the touch before stumbling out. I gripped his arms, steadying my legs. "What was that?"

Cam smoothed hands down my cheeks, tugging pieces of wavy hair away.

"Unwelcome visitor," he cupped my face. "Cambion. He's gone now, scared him off with a little light show." Yeah, I'd seen his light show.

"Cambion?" My nails dug deep, eyes going over the skin of his neck, hands.

"Relax, little bird," he soothed. "I'm bite-free."

Knees going weak with relief, I closed my eyes letting out a fleeting gasp.

"What was a Cambion doing here? Was it...?"

Cam shook his head.

"If it was that rat bastard he wouldn't be alive. Trust me." The scorn for Romeo ran deep. "I found him three miles from the property. I drove him away—no clue what he wanted."

The puff of cold breath hit me, he tilted his head, staring very intently. Longingly. Adrenaline rush wearing off, I wrapped slim arms around him, stuffing my face into the soft fabric of the black hoodie.

Humidity clung to his hoodie, his hair, my own body and clothes. Still, the earthy scent lulled me, the warmness of his embrace shook me. Nothing should ever feel this amazing.

"I heard a car driving by," he breathed. "I was so scared when I saw it was yours. When I felt you nearby."

Those words unlocked the fire I'd kept tamed these last days. I pulled back, gazing deep into those long tunnels.

"I was coming from Dawn's. I was coming to say... To talk to you." He stiffened, I shook my head grasping his cheeks. "I'm sorry—I've been so stupid and proud! And..." a long finger slipped over my bottom lip.

"You were right. I should've told you. Because you're strong, you're so strong—"

"I can't help. You were right!" Nerves sprung from within, wrapping me like a damn Christmas gift.

Taking a deep, grounding breath, Cameron's lashes lowered, fanning the sharp cheekbones.

"I think," his hands fell on my shoulders. "We should go home. Okay?"

Spying a glance behind, my mouth dropped open. A sizable dent adorned the driver's door.

"Huh," I spun to him. He was rubbing his neck, with a rueful look. "I came on too strong. Sorry. I'll fix it."

Nodding briskly, I climbed in. The radio was still blasting. The minute Cam got in, the volume went down. Had to love that Neph-mojo.

"How's it been?"

I felt eyes on me, "Headaches. Brief blackouts. I manage to claw my way back into control. Somehow."

I made the tight right leading into their private garden. I didn't bother with the garage, parking it outside, gaze gliding to Cameron.

"You didn't tell Phillip."

"I figured it was your secret to tell." I stopped the radio altogether. "Plus, who knows how he'd react?"

"Good call," he offered up a slight smile. "It's true what they say, knowledge comes with age."

My fingers launched across the space to pinch his ear—he dodged with a chuckle. Curling a hand over mine, Cam tugged me forward, over the console and onto him. Having Cameron inside my car made me realize how tiny it actually was. Not wanting to cramp him further, I curled up on his lap—legs tucked underneath and all.

There with my head tucked under Cameron's chin, I felt absolutely safe. I only heard one heartbeat, his. Only felt his presence.

There was no evil entity dwelling inside Cam.

My palm slid between us.

"You don't get to do that."

"Do what?"

"Excuse yourself by saying you love me." Cam winced. "That hurt, Cam. Leaving you like that—it hurt me a lot. Because I know—I saw—the pain I caused you by walking off. But... it wasn't how I expected you to say it."

An arm wrapped solidly around my back.

"It was a heat of the moment kind of thing." He whispered quietly. "It's how I feel about you, nonetheless."

A heavy pause fell.

I felt my chin tip with anticipation, to hear it again. But he didn't say it.

"I know you had good intentions," Cameron had wanted what he always did. Protect the people he cared for. Phillip and, luckily enough, me. "You can't protect us from everything, Cam." The look he gave me read like-hell-I-can't. Shaking my head, I guided his eyes back to mine. "Promise me you won't do anything like that again."

"I can't," he said, blackness glinting sharply. "I can't promise that," Cam twined his finger in mine, keeping me in place. "But I can promise to try."

I hurried to put out the tiny spark of discord. Dawn's advice rang true: baby steps.

His lips touched a corner of my mouth, testing the waters. Then, like a hunting bird, he swooped in for the kill. The kiss became hard as marble, scalding like sunburn and lazy like a summer afternoon.

After we took our time getting reacquainted, we entered the house. Cameron listened around before confirming we were alone. There was a blue post-it on the fridge in neat handwriting.

Went to the Lighthouse with V – Phillip

"Looks like I'm cooking." Cam mumbled, before yanking the little square, throwing it into the trash.

I hid a smile. I'd never tasted Cameron's cooking. The boys normally ordered take-out. Fine by me, mom used to worship take-out businesses like Gods.

"Cooking? For me?"

"For us," he spun around, leaning on the counter. "Sounds nice and romantic?"

Sounded perfect after days of isolation.

I put my hands on his hips, leaning forward. "I've taken up running, so I'd say dinner sounds fantastic."

"I've noticed," a curious, not-so-innocent hand traveled south along my hip. Finding my thigh muscle, Cam squeezed. My body jolted forward, smacking softness with hardness. "I think you should keep it up, too. Exercise is good for your health."

A devious smirk played on his face as his fingers sunk—a second—then fell.

Determined not to show my breathy gasp, I stared out the window.

Cameron went into his bedroom to clean up, I did the same. Later, I heard shuffling down the hall and stairs, but kept my attention on homework. The desk was deep brown, with an incorporated book shelf, towering over the desk surface. The pattern on the supports were intertwined Celtic knots. Very beautiful.

The first time I'd woken up here, in this room, had been after I walked into the supernatural world. It'd felt lonely, empty. Now was different. Tiny details—the red lava lamp on the nightstand, the books filling the shelf, the scattered shoes outside the wall closet, the yellow pillows on bed—it gave the room personality.

Made it mine.

I was brushing up on the difference between bacteria and viruses, when, from the corner of my eye, I saw the door slid open.

Cameron was leaning on the door frame, wearing a three-button sweater. I smiled at the kitchen towel slung over his right shoulder.

"Look at you, all Chef-looking." He bit a laugh. My insides fluttered.

"Why don't you come down and see just how much of a Chef I am?"

Whirling my chair, I paced towards him. Cam's eyes danced down my sweater, jeans and grinned at my feet. Reindeer socks. I smiled, pressing lips to his.

With a hand still cupping his cheek, I said, "Let's go."

We walked along the Persian rug, his thumb stroke the back of my hand, as we did. Once we got on the first floor, I went for the kitchen only to be tugged in the parlor's direction. I cocked my head at Cameron.

"Close your eyes," it seemed like a waste since he twirled me, covering my eyes with both hands.

I nibbled my lip, heart jumping wildly. Not just because I'd missed his touch, giving in to the attraction between us—

Cam's hands fell on my shoulders, and I stared, mouth agape.

The fireplace was going, the lights were turned off, though. More white than red candles burned on the coffee table, where two plates with pasta waited. Cam had to push me to the middle of the parlor and force me to get on my knees, in front of the glass table.

We knelt on folded blankets—well, I did, Cameron made himself more comfortable, sitting cross-legged. I was... Heck. I had no idea.

"We've never been on a date before," Cam began, tossing the white cloth on the couch. "I thought—since I was cooking and we're alone—it was about time." He licked his cherry-pale lips, eyes flashing from me to the fire. "We should make most of our time together," thanks to his whisper, I knew what he meant. Cam was worried about Lucifer breaking free—for God knows how long.

Eyes squatting in concern, I reached for his hand.

"Cam..."

"I'm serious, Nina. We have fights, but no dates. That's unacceptable."

The gold in my eyes sparked richly, "You're not funny."

"You're smiling."

"Am not." Totally was. A frown caressed my features. I pointed at the single wine glass. "I think your math's off."

"Nope," Cameron reached for the wine, twisting and popping the cork with skill. "I still remember the last time you drank alcohol. I want you sober if you don't mind." He poured a satisfying amount of red wine. Cam swirled the drink before sipping it.

I had half a mind to throw a fit—but he held the rim to my lips. I drank tentatively. I'd never tasted wine before, Rory started me on tequila, instead. It licked its way down, hitting my belly in a joyous heat.

"Good?" I nodded. "It's better once you eat."

Taking a fork, I twirled it, trying to get some pasta rolled up. It was a very unsuccessful mess. I almost made sauce fly. Chuckling, Cameron's finger wiped my cheek. Picking up a spoon, he taught me how Italians ate spaghetti.

I picked a rom/com but we barely watched it, talking, stealing kisses that tasted of rich wine, and wonderfully cooked bolognese sauce.

Dinner over, Cam laid himself on the leather couch, crooking a finger at me. I lowered myself onto him, folding my hands against his chest.

Cameron's fingers danced in my hair, straightening it.

"This is nice." I whispered, eyes semi-closed.

"It is," Cam kissed my head.

"Cam?"

"Yeah?"

"How do you do it? Stay in control?"

Shifting so our gazes held, Cameron dropped one leg off the couch.

"Honestly? I don't know. I can't do anything when I get headaches. When the blackouts happen it's different. Everything goes black. I feel like there's a weight pressing on me—sinking me."

"Keeping you away." I mussed.

His lids dropped, "These last few days were hell, Rapunzel. I wanted you so badly."

I imagined Cameron playing sad guitar tunes, locked in isolation. I'd been wrong earlier. The image turned my soul to confetti.

Rubbing a circle on his shoulder, I pressed closer, "Are you going out tonight?"

"No."

Later, once the fire died, we put out the candles and I all but dragged Cam to his bedroom. We fell in bed in a mess of tangled limbs, not at all uncomfortable. I watched my Prince of Darkness drift to sleep, stroking his raven hair.

***

A low hum danced around my head, caressing the edges of my consciousness. Shivering, I tried opening my eyes. But all there was, was darkness. Nothing but painstaking darkness and coldness. Shapes didn't stand out.

Like being blind.

I could hear—the hum was still there—here. Wherever I was. My hearing began reaching out, increasing thanks to lack of sight. Among a quiet, faded voice, wind boomed. Rocking trees. I think branches were smacking windows.

Was I inside a house?

Sitting up, still seeing nothing, I kicked my legs aside. Standing on surprisingly strong knees, I wobbled a step, putting my hands out. Wouldn't want to smack a wall.

"Twinkle, Twinkle..." I heard. The voice had changed, though. It carried out strongly, velvety, sort of angelic.

I took another step—my hands brushed nothing, so I kept going. The windy sounds acted as a chilling orchestra behind a familiar song—a lullaby.

"...little star, how I wonder what you are..." heart racing, I focused on the nursery rhyme. Going further into oblivion, noticing the air chilling more. "Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky..." I'd only heard him sing once—a completely different tune, too—but I knew it was Cameron singing. The minute I realized it, I hurried.

I caught more and more of the echoing lyrics, using them as guidance. My heart was pounding, contracting too hard for me to ignore the colder than winter feel in my stomach. Frustrated with my apparent blindness, I listened for more, ignoring the howling gusts.

Twinkle, twinkle little star...

It was becoming more distort. I spun around, trying to find a light—trying to see. There were tingles, I should be close. Why was his voice fading?

I ran another way, the way where the sound of Cameron's voice was being sucked into.

Then the traveler in the dark, thanks you for your tiny spark...

"Cameron!" I yelled, wildly. It was like in the clearing the night we'd made it back—but I wasn't seeing him. Or anything. "Cameron! Where are..." I stopped, mouth half-open.

Because my eye-sight was back. Lightning was cackling above me. The dark sky brightened with each burst of forked thunder. It came in every color, the light. Purple, blue, whitish—even green. Illumination thrown all across the land. There was no house around, just a clearing with many different tree-types, some were cut down—having been struck by the roaring storm. Wind swept over everything with vicious strokes.

I had no idea how I was glued to the earth.

In the eye of the storm, was Cameron.

Jesus.

The navy sweater and dark jeans cloaked him. The color of his hair and eyes blended in with the...

"That's not... right." I mumbled, hand going for my mouth.

His eyes weren't blending in. Instead, two gray steel gems pulsed. Looking directly at me.

No.

He did Cameron's flash-run-thing. I swallowed a gasp.

Everything about him looked like Cameron. Except his eyes. And the smile spreading... it reminded me of the Cam I'd first met.

Calculating and arrogant. Trying to spook me.

He could not see which way to go, if you did not twinkle so.

A hand shot for my star necklace and the melody ended. He whispered words but all the time, I screamed bloody-mary.

A drift washed over me.

Blinking sleepily, I rose onto my elbows. Alone in bed. Sweat beads soaked my clothes through and through, hair stuck on my cheeks but my panic was far too great to worry about petty things.

"Cameron?" I croaked. It was a little past midnight. "Cam—?"

Another howl of wind blasted inside the room. The window was wide open and Cameron—any trace of our bond—was gone.

Horror laced my being as the words Cameron—no—Lucifer had spoken in my dream returned:

"He's mine now, little star."