Whatsername

Chapter Twenty-One

"What can I get you, sir?"

"Can I have a scoop of you with a waffle cone?"

I rolled my eyes as the infamous "Dairy Queen girl" giggled. According to her name tag, her name was Mindy. Mindy, the Dairy Queen girl. Mindy, the girl Tre never shuts up about. Yep.

"I want ice cream!" Frankito screamed, bouncing up and down around the counter. "No, a milk shake! Oooh, a sundae! And a hot dog!"

I blinked and looked at Billie. "How did you talk me into doing this, again?"

"Well, it was either go out with us or stay alone at the house. And think of how lonely you'd be without my extremely sexy ass there to keep you company," he said, grinning. Tre's head shot towards us, and for a minute I panicked, thinking Billie had said too much. Tre's not as stupid as he claims to be... I think.

"Are you two going to order anytime soon?" Never mind....

"Oh--"

"Sorry."

After we had all ordered our food, we found a table in the back. I sat down, and Jakob and Frankito both raced to sit next to me. In the end, surprisingly, Billie won. My eyebrows raised as he slid into the booth next to me, a huge grin plastered on his face as Jakob and Frankito glared at him. Tre was still standing at the counter, shamelessly flirting with Mindy as he waited for his large Blizzard.

"Hey, Joey, come sit at our table, please. I'd like to keep everyone together," Billie said, waving his son over to us. Joey rolled his eyes, stood up from his table across the room, and joined us. He was such a happy child.

"I got her number! I got her number!" Tre whispered excitedly as he squeezed himself into the booth next to a very unhappy-looking Joey.

"That's great, Tre. Where the fuck's our food?" Billie asked, and I pinched him. "Ouch!"

"Don't be so insensitive!" I said and slowly turned my head towards Tre. "I'm very proud of you, Tre."

He grinned, taking his sunglasses and hat off. "I'm so awesome."

"Put those back on," I whispered, glancing around the room.

"No."

"Aren't you afraid someone'll recognize you?"

"If they do, they do," he said with a careless shrug. "Billie, take off your shades, man."

Billie sighed and took off his sunglasses. "Happy?"

Tre grinned. "Incredibly."

"We're gonna get caught," I whined, thinking back to the last time I went out with Billie. I definitely didn't want a repeat of that.

"Who cares? Just look on the bright side: maybe if the paparazzi get a good shot of your face, someone will recognize you and tell us who you are!" Tre optimistically suggested. "Or they'll just know what you look like... and then try to kill you next time we go out...."

I stared at him. "You're not helping!"

"You'll be fine," Billie reassured me and slipped his hand in mine under the table. "Don't worry. That's not going to happen. Tre's an idiot."

Tre glared at him as he shoveled his ice cream in to his mouth. "Well, that's just rude!"

Thirty minutes later, we were at the grocery store. Fascinating, huh? Well, it is when you're shopping with Tre Cool. He makes anything interesting.

"I need these," he mumbled, throwing an armful of chip bags into the cart. "And I need doughnuts." Cue me being dragged into the next aisle. Instead of replacing the food that Billie had in the kitchen, Tre decided he'd get a cart-full of disgusting junk food.

"What's your favorite kind of bread?" he asked after filling the basket with hot dog buns. By then, the basket was full. Actually, it was way beyond full. It was one of those shopping baskets that you stare at as they go by, wondering how the fuck they crammed that much crap in there.

"Uh... white bread?" I answered as I followed him to the frozen food. "Where are we going now?"

"Ice cream!" he squealed, and Frankito, who was riding on the side of the basket even though I had told him not to, was yelling out random ice cream flavors he wanted Tre to get.

"Didn't we just have ice cream?" I asked.

Tre turned back and stared at me. "What's your point?"

"Never mind," I sighed. Was I the only person that acted like an adult?

"Boo!" Apparently yes. I turned around and found Billie grinning at me, his own cart filled with things that actually looked like food. Thank fuck. "What'd I miss?"

I gestured to my cart, and his eyes widened. "A lot."

"Tre, I hope you're planning on paying for all of this shit!"

After deciding that it was absolutely impossible to fit anything else in the cart, we were finally in line to check out. Wait, correction: Joey and I were in line to check out. Billie had run off mumbling something about forgetting root beer. Tre had also run off screaming something about candy, even if half of the basket was already filled with it, and Frankito and Jakob had run off screaming something about-- you guessed it-- candy. So I was expecting a lot of candy and root beer when they came back. If they ever did....

"So... Joey, how's it goin'?" I asked lamely, and he stared at me.

"Don't talk to me."

I frowned. "Why?"

"I don't like you."

"I don't like you either."

"You don't like me?" he asked, a faint amount of shock in his voice, and I smiled.

"I don't like kids," I corrected as we moved farther in line, and there was still no sign of Billie or the candyholics.

"Why don't you like kids?"

"Many reasons."

He stared at me for a moment. "You like Jakob."

"I tolerate Jakob, and if you weren't so bratty, I'd tolerate you, too."

"How am I bratty?"

I held back a scoff. "This is the first time since I've met you that you've talked to me, and you make mean comments about me behind my back."

He looked surprised. "Did Jakob tell you that?"

"Yes."

"Traitor," he grumbled.

"Don't get mad at him."

"I'm not mad at him. I'm mad at you," he said, glaring at me. So much for progress.

"What did I ever do to you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You like my dad."

My eyes widened. "No, I don't."

"Yes, you do. And you're keeping him from getting back together with my mom."

"No, I'm not. I promise you--"

"Oh, please," he muttered, rolling his eyes. "It's so obvious you like him. I know why you're living with him, too."

I kept quiet for a while, and he smirked, seeming very satisfied. And he wondered why I thought he was bratty....

"I heard him talking to my mom yesterday, when he came to pick me up. Is it true you can't remember anything?"

"No, not really," I said quietly.

He looked up at me. "That's so cool!" Not the reaction I was expecting.

"Oh, yeah. It's great...," I said sarcastically. It was finally our turn to check out, and I started placing things on the conveyer belt.

"I guess it'd suck, though. Not being able to remember your name or where you live, I wouldn't like that. Is that why you and Tre were using Jake's flash cards the other day? To remember stuff?"

I sighed. "Yeah. The only problem with Tre's plan was that I remember that stuff. It's just the important things that are a blank."

He nodded and helped me unload the cart. "Dad said you might get your memory back. When you do, does that mean you'll leave?"

I stopped for a minute and blinked. I wasn't expecting that question. Joey didn't sound like he was looking forward to me leaving, which surprised me. He just seemed curious. I let my mind wander and thought briefly of how weird it would be to leave before I shook my head. "Um, I don't know. Probably, yeah. I-- I will."

"Oh. I bet Tre'll cry," he laughed.

I smiled and nodded. "He probably will. Jakob and Frankito will miss me too, I guess."

Joey hesitated a little. "And... I'll miss your grilled cheese."

"Wow, I feel so loved," I said, rolling my eyes. "Well, at least the other three like me."

"Your total is $475. 92," the checker announced, and I gaped. After looking back, I saw Billie squeezing through the line to get to us. Once he saw I was watching him, he grinned and waved while fighting his way through the sea of bitchy old ladies.

"Oh, Kate?" Joey said, tapping my shoulder, and I glanced back at him. "Don't worry. Dad likes you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
My, oh my, did I get distracted or what? I haven't been on Mibba in weeks. Blame Breaking Dawn and the Dark Knight and... my general laziness. Sorry to leave you all hanging for so long.

But let me know what you thought about the chapter, yeah?