Whatsername

Chapter Twenty-Three

"Oh, girls just wanna have fun," I sang as I walked to bathroom, glad I had survived yet another day. I hummed as I continued down the hall. You know, the song gets stuck in your head, especially since Billie had been singing it constantly the night before. I was merely a victim, completely and utterly helpless to the song's silly, but still somehow catchy, tune. I reached for the doorknob but stopped after noticing the door was partially opened. I heard a blow dryer running and raised an eyebrow. Peeking through the crack in the door, I saw Tre inside drying his hair as he sang to himself. I slowly pushed open the door and laughed as he danced and spun around with his eyes closed.

"His name was Rico. He wore a diamond--" Finally, after his twentieth rotation, he opened his eyes and screamed after spotting me, the towel wrapped around his head flopping dangerously to the side. "Damn you, woman! Next time knock before you come barging in here!"

"Why are you here, and what the hell are you doing?" I asked as I glanced around the bathroom. The counter was full of bottles and tubes of who knows what, the toilet seat had a strange blue stain on it, and the shower curtain had been ripped off half the rings.

He straightened up and puffed out his chest, his bright pink bathrobe now barely skimming the tile floor. "I have a date."

"You have a date...," I repeated, blinking.

"Mhmm, with Mindy!" he said with a bright grin. His teeth were abnormally white....

"Why are you here ruining Billie's bathroom and not at your house getting ready?" I asked.

He thought for a moment. "I really don't know."

"Are you almost done? I really have to...," I trailed off, the mysterious blue spot catching my eye once again. "Never mind. I'll go use Billie's."

The blow dryer started up immediately after I turned away, and I walked back down the hall, toward Billie's room and tentatively rapped my knuckles on his door. A groan came from behind the door, and I opened it. Billie was still in bed, which was expected after the night before, and he was covering his head with his pillow. A little bit different than the way I had left him earlier, when I had finally been able to escape, but not much. I walked across the room as quietly as possible, toward the bathroom door, and was just about there when I heard a loud moan.

"Kate? Is that you?"

I stopped. "Yeah. How are you feeling?" I asked as I danced around, waiting for him to answer.

"I feel like shit. Isn't that obvious? Anyway, what are you doing?"

"I had to go to the bathroom, but Tre was using the one down the hall. So..."

"Oh, I wondered where you went to when I woke up and you weren't here."

So he remembered doing that last night. Ass. "Anyway, now I've got to use this one-- be right back." I quickly ran into the bathroom and shut the door, but I could still hear his giggles. I hate him. After I was done, I opened the door and quietly made my way out of the room, hoping Billie wouldn't hear me, and I could possibly make my escape.

"Where are you going now?" Damn him.

"Uh... to make breakfast?" I said, making it up as I went. "Do you need anything? Tylenol...?"

"Mmm, okay."

A few minutes later I returned and gave Billie the tablets and a glass of water. He finally removed the pillow and glanced at me with an appreciative smile as he swallowed. "I drank a lot last night."

I rolled my eyes. "No shit."

He grinned for a moment and then winced, clutching his head. "Owie."

"Well, I hope you feel better." I turned to leave once again, and Billie grabbed my arm.

"Wait, stay here, nurse. Let's take a nap." I was then pulled onto the bed next to Billie. I sighed and rested my head on the pillow, deciding not to fight him, since every time I did I ended up in a worse situation. Also, I decided to stay because I was tired, and a nap sounded wonderful. At least this time he hadn't rolled on top of me and trapped me under him. "Ah, this is nice."

I turned and glanced at him as he lay next to me, his eyes closed and a small smile on his face as he wrapped his arm around my waist. "What's nice? Having a hangover?"

"No, this." His hand left my waist and gestured between us as he mumbled into the pillow. "This is nice."

I frowned and looked up at the ceiling. "Why do you do that?" He was so confusing. He could be so nice and sweet, but I couldn't help but wonder why he was doing this to me.

His eyes opened and he glanced at me with raised eyebrows. "Do what?"

"Say that stuff. You really confuse me," I mumbled, eyes still locked on the ceiling. "The way you act, the stuff you say... it confuses me."

"I don't get it. What did I do?" He sat up slightly, apparantly very interested in what I was going to say. I instantly regretted opening my mouth.

"I don't know. Just forget about it."

"No, tell me."

"Well, it's stupid." I averted my eyes and her turned my head back toward his face.

"I don't care. I want to know, so out with it. I won't leave you alone until you do."

I bit my lip and let out a sigh. "If we weren't in the situation we're in, would you still... like me?"

"What do you mean?" he asked softly.

"If you hadn't... injured me, and we had just met somehow, would you even think twice about me?"

"Of course I would, Kate. I'm not just doing this because I feel sorry, or guilty. I'm doing it because I really do like you."

The smile on his face seemed sincere, and so did the kiss.

______________________________________ ---

It wasn't until that evening that Billie finally got out of bed, and when he did, he sure was surprised to see the state of his bathroom.

"What the fuck is this blue shit--what happened to the shower curtain?!" Watching Billie scold Tre is an interesting thing. Billie's face turns red when he yells, and Tre looks like a little kid-- scared, wide-eyed, and always apologizing profusely. I had witnessed this sort of thing happen several times in the couple weeks I had been there.

"I'm sorry...?" Tre said hesitantly.

Billie sighed and looked back at Tre, much calmer than he had been moments before. "What were you doing, anyway?"

"I had a date!" Tre said, exasperated, as if what he had done to Billie's bathroom made that obvious.

Billie stared at him, and after a moment his eyebrows furrowed. " Dairy Queen girl?"

"She does have a name, you know," Tre said, folding his arms. "But yes, Mindy and I went on a date."

"Ah. How'd it go?"

Tre grinned. "Splendidly! We're going out again next week."

"Great. Next week ask before trashing my bathroom," Billie sighed, rolling his eyes.

"Well, I tried to ask you this time, but you and Kate were still sleeping," he grumbled, and my eyes widened.

"Wh-- what?" Billie looked at me with the same wide-eyed expression, and Tre laughed.

"Relax, I didn't see anything!"

"That's not the point--"

"There wasn't anything to see!" I quickly squeaked, giving a sharp look toward Billie after a smirk crossed his face.

"Damn," I heard Tre mutter under his breath.

Billie shook his head, glancing back and forth between Tre and me, seeming very confused. "Wait a minute. You're okay with it-- us.... You know?"

Tre sighed and patted our shoulders, shaking his head in what seemed to be despair. "I hate to break it to you, but I've known for a while now," he said with a sigh.

"Seriously?" Billie asked incrediously.

"Yeah." He laughed. "You guys thought you were being so secretive! I figured it out last week!"

I raised my eyebrows. "Tre, we've been doing this for way lo--"

Billie's eyes widened and he quickly shook his head from behind Tre's back, signaling for me to stop.

Tre's eyebrows raised after I shut my mouth, and he was about to say something when Billie's cell phone started ringing, saving us from Tre's questions.

Billie fumbled with the phone and raised an eyebrow in surprise after checking the screen. He put it to his ear and quickly left the room. "Hello?"

"Wonder who it is," I muttered as I heard Billie walking down the stairs.

Tre shrugged. "Probably Adie," he sighed carelessly.

"Yeah..." If it was her, why did he have to leave the room, though?

A few silent minutes went by until Tre turned to me. "So... anyway. Billie's a good kisser, huh?"

"Oh my god," I groaned, rolling my eyes. Billie finally came back and stared at Tre as he giggled.

"Who wants breakfast?"

Tre raised his hand and bounced excitedly. "Oooh, I do! I do!" he squealed, grinning.

Billie's eyes widened suddenly. "Dude, what the fuck did you do to your teeth?!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, that Tre... what a card. Bet you guys have been wondering when this would happen, huh? Yeah, I finally updatededed. It's a... little late, I know. But... it was my eighteenth birthday on the twenty-second last month, if you didn't know already, and anyway, long story short, I've been busy. =(

And reading this story now makes me see how much I've improved since I wrote the chapters. Kind of sucks, seeing as it could have been better if I'd written it all now. Oh well... you guys seem to like it despite that, so I should be happy, no?