Whatsername

Chapter Four

"Um, Joey, Jakob, this is Kate. She's staying with me for a while." Billie smiled, trying his best to make this awkward situation better.

"Hi! I'm Jakob!" the shorter one said, clinging onto Billie's leg.

"Nice to meet you...."

The one I assumed to be Joey was still confused. He kept looking at me, and then Billie, and back to me again.

"Why is she staying with you, Dad?" Joey asked curiously as I stood there, nervously shifting my feet, desperately wanting to go change, or at least put some pants on....

"Well, she's a friend of mine, and she needed a place to stay for a while," Billie quickly explained, hoping he could leave it at that.

"Oh, okay... nice to meet you," Joey said, turning and walking into his room.

"Nice to meet you too!" I yelled quickly as he closed the door.

Billie let out a sigh of relief. "Well, that was awkward," he laughed nervously.

"Yeah, awkward," I agreed.

"Daddy, I want breakfast," Jakob said, suddenly making me realize we were staring at each other.

"What?" Billie asked, finally looking away from me.

"I... want... break... fast," he said slowly.

"You haven't had breakfast yet?" Billie asked, surprised.

"Nope, I'm hungry!" he whined.

"Okay, well, let's go make you something," Billie said, starting to walk away.

"No. I want her to do it," he said, pointing at me.

"Me?" I asked, wide-eyed.

"Yes, now let's go," he said, grabbing my hand and leading me downstairs to the kitchen.

Billie just stood there, slightly confused and surprised that his own son would trade him in for someone he just met. Trust me. I was just as confused.

"Okay... what do you want?" I asked, still not believing what I was about to do. Maybe he thinks I'm the maid. Yeah, that's it. I'm just the maid that wanders around Billie's house, pants less and in his tee-shirt....

"Grilled cheese!" he shouted.

"For breakfast?" I asked, scrunching my nose in disgust.

"Mhmm, now get to it!" he ordered, hopping up on one of the barstools and pointing toward the stove.

"God, you're a bossy little thing," I said under my breath as I went to get the stuff out of the refrigerator.

Billie Joe's P.O.V.

"Hey, Bill. Kate's hopeless. We spent two hours listening to music and she doesn't remember any of it," Tre sighed, appearing beside me.

"Well, at least you tried."

"Look, I did laundry!" he proudly exclaimed, holding a basket of clothes.

"And why did you do that?" I asked suspiciously.

"Because I thought Kate would want to wear what she was wearing yesterday, so I washed it," he said, smiling.

"Huh, good job. You're actually thinking for once."

"I guess I am," he said thoughtfully.

"Yep."

"Oh, and looky what I found!" he said in a singsong voice as he held up Kate's bra.

"Tre! Go put it back!" I yelled.

"Fine," he grumbled, walking into the guest room. That's why he did the laundry....

"Where is Kate?" Tre asked, walking back out of Kate's room.

"She's downstairs, making Jakob breakfast."

"She is?" he asked, wide-eyed.

"Yep."

"She told me she hates kids."

"Well, Jakob kinda made her do it."

"Why did he do that?" he asked, confused.

"I guess he likes her," I said with a shrug.

"I always knew he was the smart one," Tre said, smirking before walking downstairs.

I rolled my eyes and followed him down to the kitchen door, where he was listening to Kate and Jakob's conversation.

"Daddy's shirt looks better on you," Jakob said, his voice muffled.

"I agree," Tre whispered, wiggling his eyebrows, and I rolled my eyes.

"Thank you! But you shouldn't talk with your mouth full," Kate laughed.

"Why?" Jakob asked.

"Because it's not polite. You need to have good manners," Kate explained.

"She's pretty good with kids for someone who hates them," Tre added as I tried to listen.

"Grandma says that I don't have to have good manners 'cause I'm cute like my daddy," Jakob laughed.

"Well, your dad may be cute, but he still has to have good manners."

"Oooooh, she just said you're cute! She wants to fuck you! I am soooo jealous right now," Tre whispered loudly.

"Shut up," I whispered back as the door bell rang. "I'll get it," I sighed, walking toward the front door as Tre continued to listen to Kate and Jakob. I groaned and opened the front door. "Oh, hey, Mike."

"Who is this?" he asked, shoving a magazine in my face.

"Who is who?" I mumbled, taking it from him and looking at the page he was showing me. Uh oh....

"Who is this girl you're carrying through a hotel parking lot?" he asked, pointing to the picture.

"Her name is Kate."

"And?" He gestured for me to continue.

"God, I'm tired of explaining this. I hit her in the head with my cell phone yesterday morning, and that picture was taken when we were on our way to the hospital. Turns out she has amnesia and can't remember who she is."

"You hit her in the head with your cell phone?"

"Yeah, but it was an ac--"

"On purpose?!"

"No! Why does everybody keep asking me that?!" I yelled.

"Maybe it's 'cause not too many people get hit in the head with a cell phone, by accident," Tre suggested, walking into the living room with a grilled cheese sandwich and taking the magazine out of my hands. "'Green Day front man, Billie Joe Armstrong, seen carrying a giggling brunette through a hotel parking lot. Sources say he's divorced long time wife, Adrienne Nesser. Is our bubbly brunette the reason for the sudden split, or is the punk rocker just taking advantage of his new freedom with this lucky fan?' Hah, Billie. This is hilarious!"

"Where did you get that?" Mike asked, pointing to Tre's sandwich.

"Kate aka super-hot-girl-who-can't-remember-who-she-is made it," Tre replied as he stared at the magazine.

"You mean she's here?!" Mike asked, wide-eyed.

"Yes."

Tre smirked. "She's in the shower."

"Does Adrienne know about her yet?" Mike asked, sitting down on the couch.

"Why does it matter? And yeah, she does know. When we came home last night, she was walking out the door with a box. She doesn't know the whole story, though. She just thinks Kate's some groupie or something."

"Well, she kinda is. She was wearing a Green Day shirt, and she does think you're cute," Tre said matter-of-factly.

"Daddy, I like Kate," Jakob said, walking into the living room.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"She's nice, and she makes good grilled cheese sandwiches," he giggled.

"Really good. She puts tomato on them," Tre added, taking another bite.

Kate's P.O.V.

After I finished taking a shower, I walked into the bedroom to find my clothes from yesterday clean and lying neatly on the bed.

As I was getting dressed, I felt a stabbing pain in my side. I looked down and saw several bruises on my stomach and back, some older, some more recent. Why hadn't the doctors noticed these? I wondered where they had come from. There was no way Billie could have caused these bruises. I could only thank him for the huge bump on my head. Maybe these bruises were from before I lost my memory....

I shrugged it off and went downstairs. I was about to go into the living room when Jakob suddenly tackled me to the floor.

"Mike wants grilled cheese too!" he yelled.

"Who's Mike?" I asked, standing up.

"Kate?!" Billie yelled from the other room.

"Yes?" I said, walking into the living room. Billie, Tre, and a guy with blonde hair were sitting on the couch.

"Kate, this is Mike," Billie said, pointing to him.

I smiled. "Ah, so you're the Mike Jakob says wants a grilled cheese sandwich."

"If it's not too much trouble," Mike replied quietly.

Twenty minutes later, everyone had a grilled cheese sandwich in hand, and even Joey came down for one. He didn't say a word, but at least he was out of his room for fifteen minutes. Billie and Mike were telling me about Tre's "unicycle accident."

"Ouch." I winced after they had finished the story.

Tre smirked. "Yeah, and if you want, I can prove it to you."

"No, thanks," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Don't worry. You'll get used to him after a couple weeks," Billie reassured.

I looked at Billie questioningly.

He assumed I was going be here a couple weeks...?
♠ ♠ ♠
And yet another point of view changing chapter... but no stupid ending!

Oh, the funny thing is when I was getting this ready to post "Whatsername " started playing, and then "Chapter Four" came right after it, which resulted in me spitting soda on my monitor as I giggled at the irony.

Yep.