Supernatural Diaries of Oli Smith.

Dead in the Water

I sat in the backseat of the Impala as Dean drove and Sam rambled on about the next place we were going. I listened for the first few minutes but once he had started to talk about his research, I decided that music would be a better option for me. I had been on the road with these guys for weeks going from state to state hunting things and solving problems with the things that go bump in the night. It was starting to catch up on me and it was hitting me hard. I hadn't been back to Boston since Uncle Bobby had called me to go looking for John. It was clear that all my personal property was most likely thrown out by James and that bitch Misty, or was it Mandy?

We pulled up to a diner and Dean got out quickly. Sam got out and helped me. I watched the guys go inside as I put on a little make up to make myself look presentable. I wanted to feel good about myself since I was having a tough day. I heaved a sigh and made my way into the diner where the guys had grabbed a table. I watched a trashy waitress walk away from the table and Dean stared after her.

"That's fun." Dean said said handing Sam the newspaper. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" I asked Dean raising an eyebrow at him. I sat next to Sam and watched as the waitress came over and set down three Cokes on the table. She walked away swaying her hips more than she should have.

"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean shrugged as he sipped you a drink. He pointed at me. "I got you a burger."

"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam said clearly annoyed with the idea of a funeral with an empty casket.

"It happens all the time, Sam." I sipped my drink.

"Something you want to say to me?" Dean asked his brother.

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day." Sam said.

"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" Dean looked at his brother. I had a feeling that they both forgot I was sitting at the booth with them.

"I don't know. Something. Anything." Sam shrugged. I silently sipped my drink as the two glared at each other.

"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?" Dean asked Sam.

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just—" Sam was interrupted.

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" Dean said looking at Sam with narrowed eyes who only sighed and looked away.

"You guys need to stop this child shit. Are we looking for John or being children?" I asked them.

"Shut up, Olivia." They said at the same time just as the waitress came over with our food. I grabbed my burger from her hand and grabbed my drink before walking over to the bar and sitting down to eat my food alone.

* * *


As the guys went to the Carlton house, I told them that I would just go dig around town to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary but in reality I just didn't want to go with them because after three straight weeks of hunting and searching for John, I was extremely tired. I was just going to walk around the town and actually take my time with something.

I licked my lips as the sounds of Ozzy filled my ears. So many people were out and about today just doing whatever they needed to do that day. I had always wanted to feel such a normalcy but with how I raised I knew that it was not possible for me, ever. I would always be stuck with this curse of having to hunt the things that go bump in the night. I knew that a normal life would never be in my future especially not with the deep connections and feelings I've been having for the last few weeks.

I was about to cross the street when I noticed that the guys were walking into the police station like they were on a mission and I knew that they had a plan. I pushed my glasses up on my nose and heaved a sigh as I made my way down the street once more. I had no idea where I was going but soon I found myself at Lake Manitoc.

I stared at the water and something didn't feel right about. The feeling I got felt dead and cold. I had never felt something like this when I would go to the lakes in Boston, this was a lake with a hidden dark secret and I was going to find out what it was. I kept my eyes on the water as it reached the sand under my feet lapping as it rippled from the movement.

"Hello?" I said answering my phone as it had just been ringing from my jacket pocket. I had failed to look at the caller ID because I knew it was one of three men; Bobby, Sam and Dean.

"Where are you?" Dean gruffly asked me. I rolled my eyes and looked at the water once more before turning from it and began the walk back to the street.

"Lake Manitoc." I told him clearing my throat.

"Well we found a motel. Its called Lakefront Motel. Do you think you can find it?" Dean asked me. I bit my lip and looked down the street.

"Yeah. I think I walked past it on my way out here. What room are we in?" I asked him as I made my way down the street to the motel that I was going to be sharing with them.

* * *


"So there's the three drowning victims this year." Sam said looking at the computer in front of him. I laid on the bed just trying to take a nap so that I could relax a little bit more.

"Any before that?" Dean asked his brother. I closed my eyes and let my mind wander.

"Uh, yeah." Sam said quickly. "Six more spread out over the past thirty-five years. Those bodies were never recovered either. If there is something out there, it's picking up its pace".

"So, what, we got a lake monster on a binge?" Dean said tossing an item of clothing on my foot.

"This whole lake monster theory, it, it just bugs me." Sam said. I could only imagine that he was scrunching up his face as the sound of Dean walking over to him was heard.

"Why?" Dean asked.

"Loch Ness, uh, Lake Champlain, there are literally hundreds of eyewitness accounts, but here, almost nothing." Sam said. The tone of his voice really made me want to smack him. "Whatever it is out there, no one's living to talk about it.

"Wait, Barr, Christopher Barr. Where have I heard that name before?" Dean asked out loud.

"Christopher Barr, the victim in May." Sam said most likely reading from the browser that was in front of him. "Oh. Christopher Barr was Andrea's husband, Lucas's father. Apparently he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned. Two hours before the kid got rescued." Dean cleared his throat before sitting on the edge of the bed near my feet. "Maybe we have an eyewitness after all."

"No wonder that kid was so freaked out. Watching one of your parents die isn't something you just get over." Dean said.

"No shit Sherlock." I muttered hoping that they didn't hear me. The bed creaked as I felt Dean's eyes on me.

"What's your problem?" Dean asked me. I stayed silent because I didn't want to talk to him with Sam in the room. I was closer to Dean than I was to Sam. "Oli, what's wrong?" He tried again but I didn't answer him.

"I'm going to get food. I'll get you guys something." Sam said. Once the door shut, I sat up and looked at Dean as the tears threatened my eyes. He looked at me with wide eyes.

"Oli what is bugging you so much? You've been like this for the last week." Dean said looking at me. I bit my lip and looked at him.

"Something is wrong with me, Dean." I said as the tears began to fall. "Every single place we've gone to I've felt a deep connection with everything about it. It's like something inside me is pointing to what happened like it's telling me that it is right in front of my face, Dean. Something is wrong with me."

"No, that's a gut feeling. Nothing is wrong with you." Dean said trying to make me feel better about it. I shook my head at him as I put my hand up. He grabbed it and gave it a squeeze. "I get the feeling too."

"Dean, something told me to go to the lake and it wasn't my gut. My gut was telling me food but my body took me to the lake. It was like some invisible force was pulling me towards it." I shook my head. "When we are in between hunts, I get upset over nothing for no reason."

"Have you been sleeping?" Dean asked me. I nodded.

"You see how much I sleep. I sleep the entire car ride from place to place. Something is leading me somewhere without my knowing." I said looking at him. "What if it starts making me do things that I won't remember? What if I kill someone?"

"Olivia, stop it. Nothing is wrong with you. You could just be exhausted from being on the road for so long." Dean said trying to convince me.

"No. I've been on the road for longer periods of time before." I shook my head. "Maybe I'm going crazy, Dean. What if I'm going crazy now that I don't have someone who kept me grounded? Oh God, I'm going crazy."

"Olivia, look at me." Dean said. I turned my eyes back to him slowly. "Sam and I will keep you grounded, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded slowly. I shut my eyes and Dean placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Everything is going to be okay." He whispered to me.

* * *


I woke up to the sound of the door shutting and I looked up at Dean who was sitting in the bed next to me flipping through the channels on the TV that was silent.

"So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie." Sam said as I yawned and moved my head to rest back on the pillows.

"What do you mean?" Dean asked as I sat up. Sam sat down on the edge of the bed as if he was about to give some earth shattering news to us.

"I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead." Sam said looking at Dean.

"He drowned?" I asked in a yawn.

"Yep. In the sink." Sam said and I was instantly feeling more awake than before.

"What the hell? So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else." Dean said looking over at me. After the talk we had last night, Dean knew everything.

"Yeah, but what?" Sam asked.

"I don't know. Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water...water that comes from the same source." Dean suggested to his brother.

"The lake." I stated softly.

"Yeah." Dean looked at me and nodded.

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining. It'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time." Sam said running his hand over his face.

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere." Dean said standing up and looking down at me. "This is gonna happen again soon."

"And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton." Sam said as I flipped the blanket off of my bare legs.

"Yeah, it took both his kids." Dean said as I stood up, not really caring that I was standing in a thong in front of them.

"And I've been asking around. Lucas's dad, Chris—Bill Carlton's godson." Sam said not taking his eyes off of Dean who I knew had his eyes on me because he was undressing me with his eyes last night when I got changed for bed.

"Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit." Dean said as I shut the bathroom door to get ready for the day.

* * *


SAM (voiceover)
"Mr. Carlton?" Sam said as we approached the older man on the dock who was clearly crying over the loss of both his children. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind."

"We're from the, the Department—" Dean began but the old man stopped him.

"I don't care who you're with. I've answered enough questions today." Mr. Carlton said sharply. I took a breath as the same feeling washed over me but this time it was much stronger.

"Your son said he saw something in that lake. What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death—we think there might be a connection to you or your family." I asked him. He turned his eyes to me.

"My children are gone. It's...it's worse than dying. Go away. Please." Mr. Carlton said as he was basically begging us to leave. Dean grabbed my arm and I turned from the man as we made our way to the Impala.

"What do you think?" Sam asked us as we stood at the car.

"Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something." Dean said looking at the older man.

"So now what?" Sam asked as he leaned against the Impala. I noticed that Dean had practically froze in his spot. "What is it?"

"Huh." Dean licked his lips as he looked at the Carlton house.

"Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something." Dean said looking at the drawing Lucas had given him of the Carlton house.

* * *[/center}

As the guys went into the house to talk to Andrea and Lucas, I decided to stay in the car because I didn't want to be a distraction to any of them or have to tell Andrea who I was. I leaned against the Impala as I looked over at the lake. Something about it was calling me over but another part was telling me to run.

I made my way over to the water and looked around the lake as I felt eyes on me. I walked to the edge of the dock and looked down at the water. Something didn't feel right and I wanted desparately to find out what it was that was going on.

"Oli, c'mon." Dean called over to me. I took one last glance at the water before jogging back to the Impala. Dean opened the door for me and pointed for me to climb into the front middle seat. I gave him a weird look but took that seat. The guys climbed in and Dean started the car. Once we were out of the driveway, the discussion began.

"Andrea said the kid never drew like that till his dad died." Dean said as Sam looked at a drawing that Lucas had drawn.

"There are cases—going through a traumatic experience could make people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies." Same said matter-of-factly.

"Whatever's out there, what if Lucas is tapping into it somehow? I mean, it's only a matter of time before somebody else drowns, so if you got a better lead, please." Dean said.

"All right, we got another house to find." Sam said looking at the window and then back at the drawing. I looked down at the drawing.

"The only problem is there's about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone." Dean said glancing at his brother.

"See this church? I bet there's less than a thousand of those around here." Sam said tapping the church that was in the picture.

"Oh, College Boy thinks he's so smart." Dean teased.

"I've seen this church when I was wandering around." I told them and Dean smiled at me as Sam gave me a weird look that I ignored.

"You know, um..." Sam began. "What you said about Mom... You never told me that before."

"It's no big deal." Dean said shrugging his shoulders. "Oh God, we're not gonna have to hug or anything, are we?"

* * *


"Okay, this little boy Peter Sweeney vanishes, and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow." Sam said as we made our way to the Carlton house. We had just talked to Mrs. Sweeney who's son Peter had disappeared one day without anything left behind.

"Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh?" Dean said.

"And Bill, the people he loves, they're all getting punished." Sam looked at me.

"So what if Bill did something to Peter?" I asked them unsure of why that thought had came to me.

"What if Bill killed him?" Sam asked.

"Peter's spirit would be furious. It'd want revenge. It's possible." Dean said as we pulled up to the Carlton house.We got out of the Impala and approached the house.

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam called as the sound of a boat engine could be heard. We went around the house to see Mr. Carlton out on his boat in the lake.

"Hey, check it out." Dean said pointing at the older man. We exchanged quick glances before we took off running for the dock yelling at Mr. Carlton.

"Mr. Carlton! You need to come back! Come out of the water! Turn the boat around!" Dean yelled at the old man who only ignored us.

"Mr. Carlton!" Sam called. But the man ignored us and kept going. Once he was far enough out, the water rose us and flips the boat over, knocking Mr. Carlton into the water.

"He's gone." I stuttered.

* * *


After we were told to leave town by the police officer, we started for the interstate but something was urging me to go back and I knew that Dean was feeling the same way that I was. I looked at Dean and he looked at me.

"Green." Sam said.

"What?" Dean asked his brother.

"Light's green." I said softly. I expected Dean to turn left but he had gone right instead.

"Uh, the interstate's the other way." Sam said pointing behind us.

"I know." Dean said keeping his eyes on the road.

"But Dean, this job, I think it's over." Sam said looking at me probably hoping that I would agree with him.

"I'm not so sure." Dean said turning back onto the familiar street.

"If Bill murdered Peter Sweeney and Peter's spirit got its revenge, case closed. The spirit should be at rest." Sam said shaking his head.

"All right, so what if we take off and this thing isn't done? You know, what if we've missed something? What if more people get hurt?" Dean said. I decided to stay silent for this conversation because it was between Sam and Dean.

"But why would you think that?" Sam asked his brother.

"Because Lucas was really scared." Dean said glancing at me before looking back to the road.

"That's what this is about?" Sam asked him.

"I just don't want to leave this town until I know the kid's okay." Dean said. I picked at my nails as I felt really uncomfortable.

"Who are you? And what have you done with my brother?" Sam jokingly asked.

"Shut up." Dean muttered.

* * *


"Are you sure about this? It's pretty late, man." Sam said looking around. Dean quickly rings the doorbell and before we know it, Lucas is opening the door completely afraid.

"Lucas? Lucas!" Dean called as Lucas runs through the house. We followed him up the stairs to where he was pounding on the bathroom door which has water pouring out from under the door. Dean pushed Sam and I out of the way and kicks down the door. I grabbed Lucas at the same time as Dean as Sam rushed in to save Andrea.

* * *


"Can you tell me?" I asked Andrea but she shakes her head at me as she wraps the blanket around her once more.

"No." She says as she watched Dean look through the bookshelves. "It doesn't make any sense." She sobbed. "I'm going crazy."

"No, you're not. Tell me what happened. Everything." I said to her soothingly hoping that I could coax her into talking about it.

"I heard...I thought I heard...there was this voice." She stuttered as she tried to find the right words to say.

"What did it say?" Sam asked her.

"It said...it said 'come play with me'." She sobbed. "What's happening?"

"Do you recognize the kids in these pictures?" Dean asked Andrea as he pulled out a scrapbook that showed a picture of a boy scout troop.

"What? Um, um, no. I mean, except that's my dad right there. He must have been about twelve in these pictures." She said pointing to the picture of Jake as a child. I noticed that he was standing next to Peter.

"Chris Barr's drowning. The connection wasn't to Bill Carlton. It must have been to the sheriff." Dean said to Sam and I.

"Bill and the sheriff—they were both involved with Peter." I said looking at Dean as we started to piece it all together.

"What about Chris? My dad—what are you talking about?" Andrea asked. Dean looked away from us and froze. I turned my attention to where Dean was looking and noticed that Lucas was staring out the window.

"Lucas?" Dean asked the mute boy. "Lucas, what is it?" Lucas opened the door and walked outside. We jumped to our feet and followed after him.

"Lucas, honey?" Andrea asked her son. Lucas stopped and then looked at a spot on the ground then looked up at Dean.

"You and Lucas get back to the house and stay there, okay?" Andrea pulled Lucas back to the house as Sam went to grab the shovels from the Impala. As they dig the ground, I watched the house to make sure that they stayed inside. I was about to ask the guys if they found anything when a shovel clanks against something metal. They dropped the shovels and began to dig with their hands until they pull out a red bicycle.

"Peter's bike." Same said looking at Dean and then to me.

"Who are you?" Jake asked. We turn to find Jake had his gun pointed at us.

"Put the gun down, Jake." I said carefully.

"How did you know that was there?" Jake asked us noticing the bike that was between Sam and Dean.

"What happened? You and Bill killed Peter, drowned him in the lake and then buried the bike? You can't bury the truth, Jake. Nothing stays buried." Dean said looking at Jake. Andrea notices her father with the gun and tells Lucas something which causes him to run inside.

"I don't know what the hell you're talking about." Jake said glaring at us.

"You and Bill killed Peter Sweeney thirty-five years ago. That's what the hell I'm talking about." I said as Andrea ran up.

"And now you got one seriously pissed-off spirit." Dean said looking at Jake who stared at us with wide eyes.

"It's gonna take Andrea, Lucas, everyone you love. It's gonna drown them. And it's gonna drag their bodies God knows where, so you can feel the same pain Peter's mom felt. And then, after that, it's gonna take you, and it's not gonna stop until it does." Sam said as Jake gave us questioning looks.

"Yeah, and how do you know that?" Jake asked us as if we were joking.

"Because that's exactly what it did to Bill Carlton." Sam said.

"Listen to yourselves, the three of you. You're insane." Jake said. I shook my head and heaved an annoyed sigh.

"I don't really give a rat's ass what you think of us. But if we're gonna bring down this spirit, we need to find the remains, salt them, and burn them into dust. Now tell me you buried Peter somewhere. Tell me you didn't just let him go in the lake." Dean said.

"Dad, is any of this true?" Andrea asks her father who won't look her way.

"No. Don't listen to them. They're liars and they're dangerous." Jake said to his daughter.

"Something tried to drown me. Chris died on that lake. Dad, look at me." Andrea said and Jake turned his eyes to her. "Tell me you—you didn't kill anyone." At this point, Jake looked away from his daughter. "Oh my God."

"Billy and I were at the lake. Peter was the smallest one. We always bullied him, but this time, it got rough. We were holding his head under the water. We didn't mean to. But we held him under too long and he drowned. We let the body go, and it sank." Jake said. Dean glanced at Sam and then to me. "Oh, Andrea, we were kids. We were so scared. It was a mistake. But, Andrea, to say that I have anything to do with these drownings, with Chris, because of some ghost? It's not rational.

"All right, listen to me, all of you. We need to get you away from this lake, as far as we can, right now." Dean said. I watched Andrea look towards the lake and a loud gasp escaped her lips.

"Lucas!" Jake and Andrea yell as we begin running towards Lucas who is leaning over the side of the dock reaching for something.

"Lucas!" Dean shouts.

"Lucas! Baby, stay where you are!" Andrea yells as Lucas is pulled into the water. We reach the edge of the water and Jake and Andrea stop moving but Dean, Sam and I keep running to the end of the dock. I toss my glasses on the dock before diving in with the guys.

"Oh my God!" Andrea yells as she starts to remove her jacket to jump in.

She takes off her jacket to jump in.

"Andrea, stay there!" I yell to her but she looks at me.

"No! Lucas!" She yells.

"We'll get him! Just stay on the dock!" I yelled at her before diving under again.

"Sam?" I hear Dean ask his brother as they both have surfaced.

"Lucas, where are you?" I hear Andrea yell. "Daddy, no!" I come up just in time to see Jake wading in the water calling out to Peter.

"Jake, no!" Sam shouts to him as Peter surfaces right in front of Jake.

"Just let it be over!" Jake shouts at the young boy in front of him. Before we know it, Jake is dragged down.

"Daddy! Daddy! No!" Andrea shouts looking at the water completely helpless. Dean and Sam dive down again as I climb back onto the dock and grab my glasses.

"No!" Andrea shouts as she stands behind me. Sam comes up shaking his head but Dean comes up holding an unmoving Lucas.

* * *


Dean and Sam walk out of the motel room and come over to where I am standing next to the Impala. We were thankfully on our way to the next town. Dean opened the car door and Sam tossed the duffel in.

"Look, we're not gonna save everybody." Sam said looking at a distraught Dean who comes to stand next to me.

"I know." Dean said in annoyance.

"Sam, Dean." Andrea walks up with Lucas. "And Oli."

"Hey." Sam, Dean and I say in unision.

"We're glad we caught you. We just, um, we made you lunch for the road." Andrea said as she pointed to the tray of sandwiches that Lucas is carrying. "Lucas insisted on making the sandwiches himself.

"Can I give it to them now?" Lucas asked his mother.

"Of course." Andrea smiled and kissed Lucas's head.

"Come on, Lucas, let's load this into the car." Dean smiled at the boy before they took the sandwiches to the car. I stayed back with Sam and Andrea.

"How you holding up?" Sam asked Andrea.

"It's just gonna take a long time to sort through everything, you know?" Andrea said causing Sam to sigh.

"Andrea, I'm sorry." Sam said softly but Andrea just shook her head.

"You saved my son. I can't ask for more than that. Dad loved me. He loved Lucas. No matter what he did, I just have to hold on to that." Andrea said as we approached the car where Dean is talking with Lucas.

"All right, if you're gonna be talking now, this is a very important phrase, so I want you to repeat it one more time." Dean said pointing at Lucas.

"Zeppelin rules!" Lucas said causing me to shake my head.

"That's right. Up high." Dean held up his had for the five-five and Lucas gives him a good one while grinning the entire time. "You take care of your mom, okay?"

"All right." Lucas said to Dean as Andrea walked up to Dean. She placed a kiss to his lips and I felt myself getting annoyed with that.

"Thank you." Andrea said looking only at Dean. Dean scratches his head and goes around the car.

"Sam, move your ass. We're gonna run out of daylight before we hit the road." Dean said to his brother. "C'mon Oli." Dean gets in the car as Sam opens the back for me. I climb in and lay down in the back.

"Can we get doughnuts or something?" I asked which only caused Dean to laugh in response as he backed out of the parking space. "Please?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Oli's outfit