Supernatural Diaries of Oli Smith.

Bugs

"You know, we could get day jobs once in a while." Sam said causing me to laugh.

"Hunting's our day job. And the pay is crap." Dean said.

"Yeah, but hustling pool? Credit card scams? It's not the most honest thing in the world, Dean." Sam said. "And having Oli pick pocket poor guys."

"Well, let's see honest." He holds out one hand. "Fun and easy." He holds out the other, and gestures that "fun and easy" outweighs "honest". "It's no contest. Besides, we're good at it. It's what we were raised to do. Plus Oli is a babe so she can easily get away with it."

"Yeah, well, how we were raised was jacked." Sam said.

"Yeah, says you. We got a new gig or what?" Dean asked.

"Maybe. Oasis Plains, Oklahoma - not far from here. A gas company employee, Dustin Burwash, supposedly died from Creutzfeldt-Jakob." Sam said.

"Huh?" I said not understanding what he had said.

"Human mad cow disease." Sam said.

"Mad cow. Wasn't that on Oprah?" Dean asked. Sam and I looked over at him carefully.

"You watch Oprah?" Sam asked.

"So this guy eats a bad burger. Why is it our kind of thing?" Dean asked.

"Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But this guy, Dustin? Sounds like his brain disintegrated in about an hour. Maybe less." Sam said.

"Okay, that's weird." I said.

"Yeah. Now, it could be a disease. Or it could be somethin' much nastier." Sam said.

"All right. Oklahoma." Dean said as we got into the car. "Man. Work, work, work. No time to spend my money."

* * *


While Dean drives, Sam is examining the dead beetle in his hand that we had gotten from the hole in the ground. I lean against the front seat so that I am included in the conversation.

"So you found some beetles. In a hole, in the ground. That's shocking, Sam." Dean said sarcastically to his brother. I roll my eyes at his tone.

"There were no tunnels, no tracks. No evidence of any other kind of creature down there. You know, some beetles do eat meat. Now, it's usually dead meat, but..." Sam said but was cut off by Dean.

"How many did you find down there?" I asked him.

"Ten." Sam said turning to look at me.

"It'd take a whole lot more than that to eat out some dude's brain." Dean said and I nodded in agreement.

"Well, maybe there were more." Sam said.

"I don't know, it sounds like a stretch to me." Dean informed his brother. I bit my lip and pushed my glasses back up my nose.

"Well, we need more information on the area, the neighborhood. Whether something like this has ever happened before." Sam said. I noticed that we drove through a town and we pass a sign talking about an open house.

"What?" Sam asked his brother

"I know a good place to start." Dean sa we passed another sign read, "Models Open. New Buyers' BBQ Today!". "I'm kinda hungry for a little barbeque, how 'bout you? What, we can't talk to the locals?"

"And the free food's got nothin' to do with it?" Sam asked.

"Of course not. I'm a professional." Dean said.

"Of course it is." I smirked. "Food is life."

"Right." Sam laughed. Dean pulled the car over and got out. We star to walk down the street to the open house.

"Growin' up in a place like this would freak me out." Dean said.

"Why?" Sam asked.

"Well, manicured lawns, "How was your day, honey?" I'd blow my brains out." Dean said.

"There's nothing wrong with "normal"." Sam said looking at Sam.

"I'd take our family over normal any day." Sam said.

"I'd take my life now over this normal shit." I shrugged. Dean put his arm over my shoulders and looked at me. We approached the door and Sam knocked.

"Welcome." The homeowner Larry answered the door.

"This the barbeque?" Dean asked.

"Yeah, not the best weather, but... I'm Larry Pike, the developer here. And you are... ?" Larry said with a smile.

"Dean. This is Sam and Olivia." Dean said shaking hands with Larry.

"Olivia, Sam, Dean, good to meet you. So, you three are interested in Oasis Plains?" Larry asked us.

"Yes, sir." Dean said.

"Let me just say - we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color, or... sexual orientation." Larry said. We immediately realized what he had meant.

"We're brothers." Dean said. "Olivia is my girlfriend."

"Our father is getting on in years, and we're just lookin' for a place for him." Sam said.

"And Dean and I are looking for a place to start a family." I said smiling happily at Dean.

"Great, great. Well, seniors are welcome, too. Come on in." Larry said as he led us to the backyard where people were walking around, talking and eating.

"You said you were the developer?" Sam asked Larry.

"Eighteen months ago, I was walking this valley with my survey team. There was nothing here but scrub brush and squirrels. And you know what, we built such a nice place to live that I actually bought into it myself. This is our house. We're the first family in Oasis Plains. This is my wife, Joanie." Larry said looking at his wife.

"Olivia, Sam and Dean." Larry said introducing us to his wife.

"Pleasure." Joanie smiled.

"Tell them how much you love the place, honey. And lie if you have to because I need to sell some houses." Larry said with a laugh.

"Right." Joanie said causing us to laugh.

"Boys and Olivia, will you excuse me?" Larry said before leaving.

"Don't let his salesman routine scare you. This really is a great place to live." Joanie said.

"Hi, I'm Lynda Bloome, head of sales." A woman with black hair said as she approached.

"And Lynda was second to move in. She's a very noisy neighbor, though." Joanie said before leaving us to talk to Lynda.

"She's kidding, of course. I take it you two are interested in becoming homeowners." Lynda laughed.

"Well..." Dean started.

"Y-yeah, well..." Sam said.

"Well, let me just say that we accept homeowners of any race, religion, color, or... sexual orientation." Lynda said.

"They are brothers and I'm dating this one." I said pointing to Dean.

"We are going to go and talk to Larry." Dean said dragging me away from where Sam and Lynda were talking. "Getting a house together?"

"Yes, honey." I smiled at him as I noticed that Larry was watching us. "I'm just preparing for the future."

"You're good."

* * *


"You know, I've heard of killer bees, but killer beetles? What is it that could make different bugs attack?" Dean said as he looked through John's journal as Sam drove.

"Well, hauntings sometimes include bug manifestations." Sam said.

"Yeah, but I didn't see any evidence of ghost activity." Dean said

"Yeah, me neither."Sam said.

"Maybe they're being controlled somehow. You know, by something or someone." Dean said looking over at me.

"You mean, like Willard?" I asked him.

"Yeah, bugs instead of rats." Dean said.

"There are cases of psychic connections between people and animals - elementals, telepaths." Sam explained.

"Yeah, that whole Timmy-Lassie thing." Dean looked out the window in thought. "Larry's kid - he's got bugs for pets."

"Matt?" Sam said and Dean nodded. "He did try to scare the realtor with a tarantula."

"You think he's our Willard?" I asked them.

"I don't know. Anything's possible, I guess." Sam said.

"Ooh, hey. Pull over here." Dean said. Sam pulled into an empty driveway of one of the Oasis Plains homes.

"What are we doing here?" Sam asked. Dean and I got out of the car.

"It's too late to talk to anybody else." Dean said.

"We're gonna squat in an empty house?" Sam asked Dean. I nodded.

"I wanna try the steam shower. Come on." Dean said but Sam did not move. "Come on!" Reluctantly, Sam pulled the car into the garage, and Dean closed it.

* * *


"You ever comin' out of there?" I hear Sam ask through the bathroom room. I look at Dean with wide eyes.

"What?" Dean called out.

"Are you in there with Oli?" Sam asked.

"Yeah." I answered.

"Dean, a police call came in on the scanner." Sam said ignoring the fact that I was just taking a shower with Dean.

"Hold on." Dean said. I wrapped a towel around my body as Dean came over to me. He pressed a kiss to my wet collarbone.

"Someone was found dead three blocks from here. Come on." Sam said. Dean opened the door to reveal that he had a towel on his head.

"This shower is awesome." Dean said. I noticed Sam roll his eyes at that remark.

I bet. Come on." Sam said walking away.

* * *


"Hello. You're, uh, back early." Larry said as we walked up to him outside of Lynda Bloome's residence.

"Yeah, we just drove in, wanted to take another look at the neighborhood." Dean said snaking his arm around my lower half. After this morning in the shower, he had been really touchy feely with me.

"What's goin' on?" Sam said.

"You guys met, uh... Lynda Bloome at the barbeque?" Larry said.

"The realtor." Sam said.

"Well, she, uh... passed away last night." Larry said. I looked at the boys in shock.

"What happened?" Dean asked.

"I'm still tryin' to find out. Identified the body for the police. Look, I-I'm sorry, this isn't a good time now." Larry said.

"It's okay." Sam said as Larry walked away from us. He went back towards the car and leaned against it.

"You know what we have to do, right?" Dean said.

"Yeah. Get in that house." Sam said.

"See if we got a bug problem." I said as we went around the back of the house so we could climb into Lynda's house.

* * *


"This looks like the place." Dean said as we walked into the bedroom that had an outline of Lynda's body where she died. Dean picked up the towel and it was covered in dead spiders. "Spiders. From Spider Boy?"

"Matt - maybe." Sam said.

* * *


"Isn't his house that way?" Dean asked as we walked Matt get off the school bus and walk in the opposite direction of his house.

"Yup." Sam said.

"So then where's he goin'?" I asked. We got out of the car and began to follow Matt through the woods. He stopped and started examining some type of bug.

"Hey, Matt. Remember me?" Sam said causing Matt to turn and look at us.

"What are you doin' out here?' Matt asked us.

"Well, we wanna talk to you." Dean said.

"You're not here to buy a house, are you?" Matt asked. Dean shook his head. "W-wait. You're not serial killers?"

"No, no. No, I think you're safe." I said to Matt as Dean and Sam chuckled.

"So, Matt... you sure know a lot about insects." Dean said.

"So?" Matt looked at us carefully.

"Did you hear what happened to Lynda, the realtor?" Sam asked her.

"I hear she died this morning." Matt looked away from us.

"Mm, that's right. Spider bites." Dean said crossing his arms over his chest.

"Matt... you tried to scare her with a spider." Sam said which caused Matt to look at him.

"Wait. You think I had something to do with that?" Matt said.

"You tell us." Dean said.

"That tarantula was a joke. Anyway, that wouldn't explain the bee attack or the gas company guy." Matt said.

"You know about those?" Sam asked him.

"There is somethin' going on here. I don't know what... but something's happening with the insects. Let me show you something." Matt said leading us somewhere.

"So, if you knew about all this bug stuff, why not tell your dad? Maybe he could clear everybody out." Dean said.

"Believe me, I've tried. But, uh, Larry doesn't listen to me." Matt said.

"Why not?" Sam asked.

"Mostly? He's too disappointed in his freak son." Matt said.

"I hear you." Sam scoffs. Sam turned and gave Dean a look that I couldn't read.

"Matt, how old are you?" Sam asked him.

"Sixteen." Matt said.

"Well, don't sweat it, because in two years, something great's gonna happen." Sam said patting Matt on the shoulder.

"What?" Matt asked him.

"College. You'll be able to get out of that house and away from your dad." Sam said.

"What kind of advice is that? Kid should stick with his family." Dean asked. I grabbed his hand as Sam turned and glared at him.

"How much further, Matt?" Sam asked the young boy.

"We're close." Matt said. Sam glared at Dean once more before continuing to walk. A few moments later we reach a large clearing where hundreds of insects can he heard.

"I've been keeping track of insect populations. It's, um, part of an AP science class." Matt said.

"You two are like peas in a pod." Dean said but Dean ignored him.

"What's been happening?" Sam asked.

"A lot. I mean, from bees to earthworms, beetles... you name it. It's like they're congregating here." Matt said.

"Why?" I asked him.

"I don't know." He shrugged.

"What's that?" Sam asked as he pointed to a dark patch of grass a few feet away. We walked over a found hundreds of worms. Dean steps on some of them and they fall into the ground creating a hole. He crouched down and used a stick to poke around in the hole.

"There's somethin' down there." Dean said. Dean tossed the stick down and reached his hand into the hole. He feels around for something and showed us a disgusted expression. He brought his hand back up and showed us a human skull covered in dirt and worms.

"Shit." I muttered.

* * *


"Joe White Tree?" Sam asked a Native American man who was sitting at a table playing cards. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's all right."

"We're students from the university." Dean started.

"No, you're not. You're lying." Joe said to Dean.

"Well, truth is." Dean began.

"You know who starts sentence with "truth is"? Liars." Joe said causing me to chuckle.

"Have you heard of Oasis Plains? It's a housing development near the Atoka Valley." Sam said.

"I like him. He's not a liar. I know the area." Joe said pointing as Sam.

"What can you tell us about the history there?" I asked Joe. He looked at me for a moment.

"Why do you wanna know?" Joe asked.

"Something... something bad is happening in Oasis Plains. We think it might have something to do with some old bones we found down there - Native American bones." Sam said.

"I'll tell you what my grandfather told me, what his grandfather told him. Two hundred years ago, a band of my ancestors lived in that valley. One day, the American cavalry came to relocate them. They were resistant, the cavalry impatient. As my grandfather put it, on the night the moon and the sun share the sky as equals, the cavalry first raided our village. They murdered, raped. The next day, the cavalry came again, and the next, and the next. And on the sixth night, the cavalry came one last time. And by the time the sun rose, every man, woman, and child still in the village was dead. They say on the sixth night, as the chief of the village lay dying, he whispered to the heavens that no white man would ever tarnish this land again. Nature would rise up and protect the valley. And it would bring as many days of misery and death to the white man as the cavalry had brought upon his people." Joe said.

"Insects. Sounds like nature to me. Six days." Dean said.

"And on the night of the sixth day, none would survive." Joe said.

* * *


"When did the gas company man die?" Sam asked.

"Uh, let's see, we got here Tuesday, so, Friday the twentieth." Dean said.

"March twentieth?" Sam asked and Dean nodded. "That's the spring equinox."

"The night the sun and the moon share the sky as equals." I said biting my lip.

"So, every year about this time, anybody in Oasis Plains is in danger. Larry built this neighborhood on cursed land." Sam said.

"And on the sixth night - that's tonight." Dean said.

"If we don't do something, Larry's family will be dead by sunrise. So how do we break the curse?" Sam said.

"You don't break a curse. You get out of its way. We've gotta get those people out now." Dean said as we got in the car.

* * *


We pulled up to the Pike residence and noticed that they were still in the house. We pull into the driveway and Larry looked out the window.

"Damn it, they're still here. Come on." Dean said as we got out of the house. Larry and his son walk out of the house.

"Get off my property before I call the cops." Larry said to us.

"Mr. Pike, listen." Sam began.

"Dad, they're just tryin' to help." Matt begged his father.

"Get in the house!" Larry told his son.

"I'm sorry. I told him the truth." Matt said to us.

"We had a plan, Matt, what happened to the plan?" Dean asked.

"Look, it's 12:00 AM. They are coming any minute now. You need to get your family and go, before it's too late." Sam said.

"Yeah, you mean before the biblical swarm." Larry said.

"Larry, what do you think really happened to that realtor, huh? And the gas company guy? You don't think somethin' weird's goin' on here?" Dean said.

"Look, I don't know who you are, but you're crazy. You come near my boy or my family again, and we're gonna have a problem." Larry said.

"Well, I hate to be a downer, but we've got a problem right now." Dean said.

"Dad, they're right, okay? We're in danger." Matt spoke to Larry.

"Matt, get inside! Now!" Larry yelled at his son.

"No! Why won't you listen to me?!" Matt yelled.

"Because this is crazy! It doesn't make any sense!" Larry said.

"Look, this land is cursed! People have died here. Now, are you gonna really take that risk with your family?" Sam said.

"Wait." I said causing everyone to go silent as we hear a loud buzzing noise. "You hear it?"

"What the hell?" Larry said as his bug light begins to overheat, killing several bugs at a time.

"All right, it's time to go. Larry, get your wife." Dean said to Larry.

"Guys." Matt said pointing to the sky. I noticed that millions of bugs were blanketing the sky and flying towards us.

"Oh my God." Larry said looking to the sky.

"We'll never make it." I said looking at Dean in panic.

"Everybody in the house. Everybody in the house, go!" Dean yelled. He grabbed me by my arm and yanked me inside. Sam locked the door behind us.

"Okay, is there anybody else in the neighborhood?" Sam asked them.

"No, it's just us." Larry said as Joanie entered the living room.

"Honey, what's happening? What's that noise?" Joanie said.

"Call 911." Larry tells his wife but she doesn't move. "Joanie!"

"Okay." I watched her pick up the phone and dial.

"I need towels." Dean said.

"Uh, in the closet." Larry said.

"Okay, we've gotta lock this place up, come on - doors, windows, fireplace, everything, okay?" Sam said.

"Phones are dead." Joanie said.

"They must have chewed through the phone lines." Dean said as he pushed the towels under the based of the front door as the power goes out. "And the power lines."

"I need my cell." Larry checked his phone. "No signal."

"You won't get one. They're blanketing the house." Dean said. I noticed that millions of bugs had began to collect on the doors and windows, covering the entire building.

" So what do we do now?" Larry asked.

"We try to outlast it. Hopefully, the curse will end at sunrise." Sam said.

"Hopefully?" Larry asked. Dean returns to the living room.

"Bug spray?" Joanie asked.

"Trust me." Dean said. We silenced at the sound of creaking coming from where around the fireplace.

"What is that?" Matt asked.

"The flue." Sam said.

"All right, I think everybody needs to get upstairs." Dean said as hundreds of thousands of bugs come into the living room swarming into the living room. Everyone starts screaming and trying to protect themselves. Dean used a lighter with the can of bug spray to make it flare up. "All right, everybody upstairs! Now! Go, go, go!" We go upstairs into the attic and Sam closes the door. After a moment of being in the attic, sawdust begins to fall from the ceiling. The buzz of the bees gets louder.

He goes upstairs with them into the attic, and SAM closes the door. After a moment of being in the attic, sawdust begins to fall from the ceiling. The buzz of the bees gets louder.

"Oh, God, what's that?" Joanie asked.

"Something's eating through the wood." Dean said.

"Termites." Matt said. I groaned.

"All right, everybody get back. Get back, get back, get back!" Dean said. The three Pikes move as far into the corner of the attic as they can and I do my best to shield them. The bugs chew a hole through the ceiling and swarm through the room. Sam and Dean frantically try to patch up the hole in the ceiling but this hardly worked. Soon two more holes are chewed and while Dean tried to ward off then bugs with bug spray, it seemed to not be working.

"Dean!" I yelled to him as the sun began to rise and the bugs start to leave. Dean and Sam approach the window and look outside looking very relieved.

* * *


"What, no goodbye?" Dean asked Larry as boxes were taken to the moving truck.

"Good timing. Another hour and we'd have been gone." Larry said shaking our hands.

"For good?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. The development's been put on hold while the government investigates those bones you found. But I'm gonna make damn sure no one lives here again." Larry said.

"You don't seem too upset about it." I said looking at him.

"Well, this has been the biggest financial disaster of my career, but..." Larry stopped and looked over at Matt who was carrying a box out of the house. "...somehow, I really don't care."

* * *


Sam joins Dean and I by the car after speaking to Matt. We watched Larry and Matt as they helped each other with big pieces of furniture.

"I wanna find Dad." Sam said to Dean. I quietly got into the car.

"Yeah, me too." Dean said looking at me in the backseat.

"Yeah, but I just... I want to apologize to him." Sam said as they climbed into the car.

"For what?" Dean asked his brother.

"All the things I said to him. He was just doin' the best he could." Sam said.

"Well, don't worry, we'll find him. And then you'll apologize. And then within five minutes, you guys will be at each other's throats." Dean said.

"Yeah, probably." Sam said.

"How are you doing, princess?" Dean asked me. I shrugged.

"Are we going to talk about what happened between the two of you?" Sam asked. We remained silent not wanting to talk about it. "Let's hit the road."

"Let's." Dean said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oli's outfit