You're My Way Home, You're My Backbone.

Every Story Has A Beginning.

It started as a bump.

Something small, barely noticeable to the point that Brendon only found it by accident while changing out of his stage clothes after a show one night. It looked about the size of a small pimple, just pushing out of the skin, a bit scabby on top but normal skin colour, showing that it couldn’t have been a bug bite.

After staring at it for a moment, Brendon tested to see if would hurt by pushing on it and picking at it with his short nails. When he found that it didn’t hurt, itch or do anything else out of the ordinary, he put it to the back of his mind and continued changing his clothes.

By the time he walked out of the tiny elbow width bathroom, he had forgotten all about it.

Brendon forgot it even existed until a couple of weeks later.

On the bus it was pretty rear to find the back lounge empty of people, even when the bus was parked, so the moment that Brendon walked in to find the room still, he quickly dashed back to his bunk and pulled out a shopping that had been hidden there at least a week, maybe two. Settling on the couch he opened it and pulled out half a bag of sour worms, grinning to himself. Lollies were a rarity to keep to yourself on the bus for more than an hour, let alone a week, but Brendon has had years of practice and managed to be surprisingly good at it. Even to the point that when Jon was still in the band, he couldn’t find them. And Jon could sniff out anything.

Holding his breath for a moment in suspense; he listened out to make sure no one noticed where he was yet. When he could only hear quiet mumbling and muffled TV noises from the front of the bus, he all but ripped the packet open, shoving half a handful in his mouth in one go.

“Brendon!”

Hearing sudden footsteps heading for the door Brendon quickly swallowed his mouthful and closed the bag up, shoving it down between his thigh and one of the couch cushions just as the door opened.

“Hey, did you drink my- Whatcha hiding?” Spence asked leaning against the doorframe eyeing Brendon, head tilted to the side.

“Nothing. Why?” Brendon smiled, playing innocent but failing.

Spencer narrowed his eyes and pushed away from the doorframe. Brendon tried to place his arm over the bag in a way that wouldn’t draw any attention, but instead of hiding it more, the movement just made the bright packaging of the bag be more noticeable. Before he had a chance to do anything Spencer swooped down and grabbed it, jumping back out of arms reach.

“Sour worms. Where did you get them from?”

“I’ve had them for a while. Can I have them back now?” Brendon asked holding out his hand.

“And you didn’t tell me about them? You greedy pig.” Spencer grinned shaking his head.

Brendon pouted and reached out with one arm half heartily, not really wanting to move off the couch. Spencer chuckled taking another step back, opening the bag and pulling a couple of the treats out. Brendon gasped dramatically and jumped off the couch lunging for the bag. Bitting his lip, he tried not to laugh even as he was pushed back by Spencer’s arm.

“Spence!” Brendon whined.

“Bren!” Spencer copied, grinning widely.

Brendon jumped forward again, but Spencer dodged and slid out of the room easily. Brendon stumbled and once he had his balance back, ran after Spencer all the way out of the bus. Taking a chance he leaped down the three bus stairs, almost smacking his head on the doorframe in the process. He landed awkwardly, arms flailing around everywhere but somehow managed to stop himself from going face first into the parking lot. He felt a slight tinge in his right leg from the jump but ignored it.

Spencer slowly jogged around the back of the bus too busy laughing to move any faster. He sat down on the gravel and re-opened the bag. Brendon took the opportunity to pounce, laughing as he balled Spencer over and sat on his back. Grinning, Brendon snatched the bag back.

“I believe these are mine.”

“I believe you now own me some,” Spencer puffed, breathless. “Dude, I can’t breathe.”

Brendon scurried off of him and quickly reached out, helping to pull Spencer back up into a sitting position. Spencer let out a puff of air and pulled at his shirt, straightening it back into place before running a hand through his hair.

“Sorry.” Brendon apologised, holding the lolly bag out in offering while grinning wide enough to show most of his teeth.

Spencer picked up a hand full of worms and smiled back. He stood up, leaving Brendon looking up at him, squinting from the sun and smiling around a mouthful of worms. Rolling his eye fondly, Spencer reached down to help Brendon up. Shoving the last of the lollies into his mouth, he took Spencer’s hand.

Once Brendon was on his feet, a sudden sharp pain spiked from the side of his right leg and up under his kneecap, making him half collapse into Spencer with loud gasp from the sudden shock. It felt as though something had stabbed him or bit him, making the pain vibrate first up then down his leg to his ankle. Yet as quickly as it came, it started to fade.

Spencer quickly grabbed Brendon’s shoulders to stop him from hitting the ground.

“You alright? What’s wrong?”

“I think...yeah.” Brendon muttered slowly shifting himself upright. “That was weird.”

“What was weird?” Spencer asked, letting go of Brendon’s shoulders after making sure he was safe on both feet.

Brendon bent his leg and shocked it around a bit. Nothing. No Pain.

“Felt a pain in my leg. Really sharp.” Brendon answered, confused.

“Cramp?” Spencer suggested.

“Yeah. Maybe.”

Spencer gave Brendon a small nudge with his elbow and started heading for the bus door, watched Brendon over his shoulder. Brendon took a couple of unsure steps and when no pain hit, he shrugged and followed Spencer back into the bus to the back lounge.

Reaching down he ran his hand down the side of his leg, below his right knee. Even under the denim of his jeans he could feel a thick lump. For a moment he sat confused before remembering the bump he had found there a few weeks earlier in the exact same spot.

Brendon’s heart sunk a little.
♠ ♠ ♠
50,000 in one month, what have I gotten myself into O.O

Here's to trying!