You're My Way Home, You're My Backbone.

Close or Distant, Friends are Friends.

“I’m getting sick of this place,” Brendon muttered under his breath. “Worst service ever.”

Just a couple of meters away, in one of the shop isles, Dallon looked up from the hair product he was holding raising an eyebrow.

“Then why do you come here?”

“Because it’s the only pharmacy within walking distance of my house. Though I’m starting to think an hour walk would be worth it.” Brendon huffed frustrated.

Dallon hummed putting the bottle in his hand down and picking up another, reading the details on the back.

“When do you think they’ll let you drive again?” Dallon asked before making a face and placing the bottle back on the shelf. “They would let you before you finish the treatment, right?”

Brendon hummed in a ‘ah-ha’ tone looking through the open door behind the counter for the pharmacist or anyone else that worked in the shop. This had to be the single most useless chemist Brendon had every stepped foot in, he could literally just grab anything he wanted and walk away and they would be none the wiser.

“I’m aloud to, for like emergencies and stuff. But both my physio and doctor rather that I don’t until my leg is moving better. Though I don’t think Dr Carol would want me until after the worst of the treatment.” Brendon answered leaning against the counter.

Dallon nodded in understanding and wondered through the isle towards the make-up section. He spots a bottle of snot coloured nail polish and held it up for Brendon to see. They both made a face and laughed.

There was a sudden sound of paper rustling from behind and Brendon turned just as a man walked out from one of the back rooms. The man gives him a bored, uninterested look as he approached. Not being in the mood Brendon gave him the same look back, surprising the guy for a second before Brendon placed the piece of paper down on the counter. Brendon took a pen from a holder by one of the tills and signed the script.

“It’ll take about fifteen – twenty minutes.” The man grunted placing the paper into a small basket on the bench behind the counter.

Brendon nodded muttering a snapped thanks and left the shop following Dallon. Today will be the last time he will go there.

“Have you been to that cafe before?” Dallon asked leading the way over to said shop. “The food there is amazing, my favourite cafe in the area.”

“I’ve got take-away but never dined in there.”

“You’re missing out then!” Dallon grained pulling on Brendon’s shirt sleeve. “The food is not the only reason why this is my favourite place. Early lunch, my buy.”

Just as Brendon went to protest over payment, Dallon shushed him moving into the short line for the counter. Brendon rolled his eyes fondly and looked up at the huge selection boards. Honestly Brendon wasn’t really hungry, the food on the boards sounded fantastic but the idea of actually eating wasn’t all that appealing. He hasn’t eaten much over the last couple of days, hence the doctor visit today for anti-nausea pills.

“So...” Dallon started bouncing on his heels making him seem even taller than what he really is. “What do you want?”

“Um,” Brendon mumbled looking over the boards again.

There was toasted sandwiches so he choose that, it was either that or hot chips. Eating something oily wasn’t the best idea on an empty stomach.

The two of them fell silent as they moved to the front of the line. A young lady that reminded Brendon so much of one of the ladies from the record shop that time, smiled at them. She didn’t react more than that nor had a knowing shine in her eyes though, so it couldn’t have been her.

Dallon placed their orders cheerfully and the lady handed them a table number while showing another bright smile, before serving the next customers in line. Brendon followed Dallon as the older man made his way towards the back sitting area that happened to be mostly empty.

Suddenly it was like walking into a whole new world. The room was a total contrast to the front of the cafe, the rest of the city even.

The room was lit with electric wall candles and chandlers, casting a lovely array of shadows into every corner, as well as long diamonds of light that lit up the floor. The walls were rough, all natural cut limestone apart from one feature wall painted a midnight blue. Huge windows covered the wall opposite the painted one, made of misty glass that reached half way up the tall ceiling with dark wooden rafters.

It reminded Brendon of an old century castle in a way. Even the chairs and tables were fashioned to look old style to match. The table cloths looked hand stitched too.

Brendon’s mouth hung open in awe.

“This is why I love this cafe.” Dallon smiled raising his arms up. “I try to come here often as possible.”

Dallon placed their number on a random table in the middle of the room and sat down. Brendon stumbled after looking around still in awe. This place is freaking awesome.

Not two minutes later a different lady that worked there brought out their drinks, promising that their food won’t be long. Brendon took a careful sip of his tea and added some sugar.

“So a big birdie named Zach told me Spencer got revenge with a water hose the other week.” Dallon stated eyes bright with mischief, waiting for the whole story.

Brendon groaned trying to hide a smile.

*

Looking down at the half eaten toasty Brendon picked at it disinterested while listening to Dallon talk. Apart from random phone calls, short visits and emails it has been a while since they hung out like this, maybe even since last tour.

Brendon sighed and dropped the piece of crust he was fiddling with onto the plate and pushed it away a little. The more he looked at it the more he really did not want to eat it.

“You alright?” Dallon asked cutting off his story. “You went pale really quickly.”

“Yeah. Just not hungry,” Brendon sighed again, leaning back in his chair.

“You sure? Just say the word and we’ll get your pills and go back to your house.” He offered.

Brendon kept his eyes down on the table in thought. Going home wasn’t that bad of an idea despite being as keen as he was this morning to leave it. He felt better than the last two days but low on energy. The best way to describe it was that he was stuck in a mid-tour slump, when everything got so busy with interviews, radio shows, signings, photo shoots and shows that time to rest felt like days away and sleep even further off.

The difference now was that he didn’t have to be busy with lack of sleep to feel exhausted, he felt like that after eight hours of solid sleep.

After a moment he nodded and Dallon made a move to stand up.

“I can wait until you’ve finished eating, no rush.”

Dallon picked up his drink and skulled the remains then shoved the last fork full of food into his mouth.

“Done!”

Brendon let out a light laugh and got up as well. They pushed the dishes to the centre of the table and walked out of the cafe, not before Dallon snagged the untouched slide of Brendon’s toasty happily munching on it. Brendon snorted a laugh only to receive wide innocent eyes in return.

They walked into the chemist and amazingly enough there was someone behind the counter this time. Even more shockingly, the pills were ready for pick up. Brendon paid for the overpriced things and left the shop quickly as possible.

For a split second Brendon thought about how much all of this medical stuff that kept piling up would cost when this was all over and half a second later realised that was something he never ever wanted to think about. It would be like finding out he had a tumour in his leg all over again, only this time it would be in his bank account.

Looking down at the overpriced tables in his hands, Brendon squinted at the tiny writing on the side of the small box.

“These things better work or else I want my money back.” He said mostly to himself.

“At that price they should.” Dallon added looking around them at all the moving people on the sidewalk just outside the centre’s doors.

Dallon’s hands suddenly shot out and grabbed Brendon’s hoodie sleeve, pulling him out of the way of someone that was carrying enough bags to fill a small car. The people kept walking hardly noticing them as Brendon bumped onto Dallon’s side softly making a small ‘oof’ noise. Brendon smile apologetically placing the tables back into the bag. Dallon just smiled and continued leading the way back to his car.

Brendon followed him like a lost puppy, keeping close. Sometimes it was awesome to have such a tall friend, it comes in handy. Unless they can do a bitch face like Spencer could, then that was even better.

Luckily enough Dallon’s car wasn’t parked all that far away. Not that it would be hard to find, it had to be the only car that was white with one whole side covered in red scratches. (“Reason why I hate the city sometimes, people can’t park for shit.”)

“Now I can escort the prince back to his palace.” Dallon beamed sliding into the driver’s seat.

“Home James and step on it.” Brendon said in an over the top British accent.

“But I don’t want to step on the ant, sir. I may squish it.” Dallon said in a voice of a five year old kid.
The two chuckled as Dallon pulled out of the car park and drove down the street. Brendon reached over and started fiddling with the radio looking for anything that wasn’t playing little kids music.

“Thank you.” He said one he settled on a radio station.

“Your house is partly on the way to mine, no problem.” Dallon shrugged, stopping at a red light.

“I wasn’t meaning that, but thanks for dropping me off home too.”

Dallon glanced at him sideway with a confused look.

“For today and the laughs.” Brendon smiled softly.

“Yeah, well, laughter is the best type of medicine.” Dallon grinned.

*

“If I had a dollar for every time I saw a doctor or been within fifty meters of one...” Brendon trailed off with a sigh picking at the loose thread on his shorts.

“Then you could buy me that pink pony I want.” Pete chirped brightly down the phone line.

Holding back a laugh, Brendon rolled his eyes.

“And people think I’m the weird one for wanting a pet bilby.” He chuckled.

“What the fuck is a bilby?” Pete asked after a short a beat.

“A little Australian animal. Looks like a rabbit and a rat mixed together, oddly cute though.” Brendon mused with a shrug.

Brendon then could hear tapping noises of a keyboard over the phone. He laughed amused knowing exactly what Pete was doing.

“You’re looking it up on Google aren’t you?” He snickered.

“Yep!”

He rolled his eyes fondly and looked up from his t-shirt at the half empty waiting room. Once again his appointment was late, about an hour over due. But this time it was for a real reason, Dr Carol had to rush to the hospital for an emergency just minutes before he was due to go in. Brendon didn’t mind waiting; the other person needed Dr Carol more than he did right this moment.

So he called Pete to pass the time in one of the weirdest but interesting conversations they’ve ever had.

“Dude, you’re right. Fuck the pony I want one of them!” Pete exclaimed. “Not as cute as Koalas though, but they sleep all day.”

“Bilbies are nocturnal.” Brendon knowingly pointed out.

“Damn...I want as kangaroo then.”

“They can be deadly.”

Pete makes a small whining noise making Brendon laugh. He smiled down at his lap imagining Pete sitting at his computer desk pouting at the laptop screen.

“How do you know all of this stuff about Aussie animals anyway? Far as I know everything is deadly.”

“TV documentaries mainly and the fact I payed attention when we went to the Sydney zoo. Everyone else was too busy worrying over taking the best photos or gushing at everything that moved to listen.”

“Or, you know, tripping over and landing face first into a bush...like someone I know did.” Pete added with a soft chuckled at the embarrassing memory.

Brendon laughed loudly catching the attention of two ladies across the room. He bit down on the inside of his lips to keep quiet, it wasn’t easy. Pete coughed hiding his own laughter.

Suddenly the front sliding doors of the Doctor’s sugary opened and Dr Carol jogged in, and then went through the door leading to the back area of the service desks. One of the receptionists jumped up from his computer and followed casually. Neither of them were in a rush and Brendon wondered if the emergency at the hospital had been taken care of and was now his turn to see her.

He stared at the door for a couple of minutes. His doctor didn’t come back out.

“Bren? You still there, man?” Pete asked getting his attention back.

“Uh, yeah,” He blinked letting his gaze drift to the ceiling. “My doctor just got back.”

“Do you have to go in now?”

“Not sure. Maybe.”

“Well if she’s back then I’m guessing so. At least you didn’t have to wait too long.” Pete mused. “Now tell me again why the guys aren’t there to keep you entertained? Do I need to tell them off?”

Brendon smiled softly at the ceiling knowing that to other people in the room he probably looked a bit silly, but ignored that fact.

“Apparently they are gathering as much junk food they can and taking over Spencer’s lounge room. I swear we have more movie nights now than what we did when we were all in the band, even before you signed us. I hope Spencer has his pool table set, I have a score to settle with Jon.”

“Good luck with that.” Pete deadpanned knowingly. “Sorry to say I’m on his team.”

“Hey! You’re meant to be backing me up here!”

Pete laughed loudly. Sure Jon was good at pool but Brendon could totally beat him. Maybe.

Brendon caught a glimpse of Dr Carol from behind the desks where she picked up a piece of paper, scanned it, and then looked around the room until her eyes landed on him. She smiled kindly holding her hand up gesturing she’d be with him in five minutes. He nodded.

“I have to go now. I’ll call you later sometime.” Brendon said, shifting in the chair.

“Alright, good luck with the doc. Text me who wins the pool match!”

“Sure. Wish me luck.”

“Not a chance!” Pete laughed. “Bye!”

Like usually Pete managed to hang up before Brendon could even pull the phone away from his ear. He snapped his phone closed and put it in his jeans pocket. Only to pull it out again a second later when it beeped with a text. He fished it out half expecting it to be from Pete. It wasn’t.

New test message: From Ryan.

‘You’re taxi has arrived.’

Brendon glanced up just as Ryan walked in through the sliding doors. He realised for a moment that with what Ryan was wearing today, he could actually pass off as a doctor. He tried not to laugh as Ryan approached.

“Do I have good timing or what?” Ryan smirked, sitting down crossing one leg over the other. “I am guessing that you haven’t gone in yet.”

“No, but I will in a minute. Very good timing indeed.” Brendon said in an over the top fake British accent.

“Had to make a grand unannounced, last minute entrance.” Ryan said in fake smugness brushing down his button up shirt.

Brendon coughed hiding a smile. He nudged Ryan’s shoulder playfully before sighing.

It was getting easier seeing doctors for new updates on his condition but it was still something that made him extremely nervous. Still made his stomach drop to the floor when his name got called and his chest tighten. Calling Pete was a good distraction knowing that he could make Brendon laugh. But now that he was about to go in, the uneasiness feeling came creeping back, coming seemingly from the floor, up his legs and settled into his mid section.

Taking a deep breath he looked over at Ryan schooling his face to look unreadable. It never really quite works if the slight frown that appears on Ryan’s face is any indication.

“Well now that you’re here, will you go in with me?” Brendon asked before biting his lip.

“Of course, you didn’t even have to ask.”

Brendon smile just as Dr Carol stood in front of them with Brendon’s medical file in her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! :D