You're My Way Home, You're My Backbone.

Angels and Airports.

The phone hadn’t even rung twice before it was answered, loud static echoing through the phone line before Patrick spoke.

“Hello,”

“Hey Pat, are you busy?” Pete grinned leaning closer to the coffee table where the phone was so he wouldn’t have to speak so loud.

“Just watching TV, why?”

Brendon lifted the pillow off his face, squinted from the light and looked over at Pete. Pete was up to something if the knowing grin of his face had anything to say, Brendon wasn’t sure it is was going to be a good or bad thing.

“Brendon’s sick.” Pete stated, though Brendon was pretty sure everyone in his circle of friends knew that. “The only thing that would make him better is to hear an angel sing. You’re the first person I thought of.”

Brendon bit back a smile and rested his head on the pillow. Patrick laughed lightly, sounding a little stunned.

“Sure,” Patrick agreed easily. “Any requests?”

Pete gestured for Brendon to choose. He racked his brain to think of something because if Patrick was going to sing for him, he was going to make the most of it.

*

Going to the blood pathology room was unnerving after the time Brendon near on passed out and was admitted to hospital with the flu. He still can’t remember much of that day but there was no way he’d ever forget the way he had felt at the time. Since that incident the staff always made sure he was good the whole way though the test and afterwards before he left.

He appreciated it a lot. During this whole thing he’s meet a lot of friendly doctors and nurses and almost every other hospital worker but the ones in the pathology area was his favourite. When they say they will look after you, they really do.

So when Brendon walked into the waiting room still feeling horrible from the chemo symptoms he cheered up a bit. It was obvious enough that Ryan could tell as he trailed in behind Brendon and flopped down in the closest chair.

The waiting room was empty besides them, Brendon rang the bell and the door opened before he could sit down.

“Brendon!” Thomas greeted, peeking around the door frame. “Back again? How are you?”

Thomas closed the door behind Brendon, but not before waving to Ryan and squeezed Brendon’s shoulder as he passed him to lower the bed. These days having the blood test lying down was more favourable than sitting.

“You’d think I wouldn’t have any blood left by now,” Brendon held out the form for Thomas to take. “Been a bit sick, the chemo’s kicking my ass good this time.”

“Oh, that sucks.” Thomas sympathised.

Thomas looked down at the form and made a face.

“Well you won’t have any blood after this.” He laughed. “Looks like your being tested for everything.”

Brendon blanched as he climbed up onto the bed and got himself comfortable. Thomas started setting things up on the trolley for Anna.

“I’m getting tests and scans for everything to make sure I’m clear.” Brendon explained. “I’ll be at the hospital almost every day next week. Apparently the x-ray department can’t book everything on the same day.” Brendon rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Thomas scoffed and had a knowing look. Suddenly he brightened up and smiled at Brendon.

“You’ve finished chemo now, right?” He asked as Brendon matched his grin and nodded. “Way to go, man. That’s awesome.” He held his hand up for a high five.

Brendon hit his hand and watched on as Thomas finished setting up everything. As Thomas went into the back rooms to get Anna, Brendon looked at the animal pictures on the wall to keep himself calm and distracted from how tired and shitty he felt.

Planning ways to pinch the adorable tiger poster without anyone noticing him do it helped a lot too.

He could run faster than Ryan still, he was sure.

*

Brendon didn’t get the chance to steal the poster but Anna said she would ask around to see where the department got it from, which cheered Brendon up after having to hold back how bad he felt for such a long time while getting the test done. He was feeling a little dizzy, but not too bad, nothing sitting still for a while couldn’t fix. Considering the amount of blood taken Brendon felt lucky that was all he had.

“You feeling okay?” Ryan asked as he whipped the car into the drive way. “You look really pale.”

“I’m fine.”

Ryan shot him a disbelieving look and to prove it, Brendon poked his tongue out and quickly got out of the car. The rain was a light drizzle but Brendon didn’t want to get wet because then he would get cold. He was starting to realise these days once he got cold it was hard to warm up again, he hoped it was just another chemo symptom.

Brendon opened the front door was has hit by a wave of heat and the smell of freshly cooked cookies. He paused confused, long enough for Ryan to make it to the door. He took in a deep breath and lightly pushed Brendon into the house. As Brendon closed the door he caught sight of Spencer’s car parked on the verge.

“You better have made some for me,” Ryan called. “I missed breakfast yesterday because of you.”

“That was then, this is now.” Spencer called back.

Brendon chuckled and followed Ryan to the kitchen. If the smells were lovely at the front door it was even better in the kitchen. It was so strong Brendon was sure if he licked the air he could taste what Spencer was cooking.

Spencer had stuff everywhere. One bench was taken up by cooling biscuits, the sink area with half washed out mixing bowls and the table covered in packets and boxes of ingredients. Spencer himself had flour all over his jeans, with a perfect hand print on his bottom and what looked like melted chocolate flicked onto his shirt.

“What’s all this for?” Brendon asked sitting down at the table and checked out all the packets in front of him.

“A cheer up, a send off, ‘cause I can and apparently because I owe sookypants over there.” Spencer said pointing a wooden spoon at Ryan.

Ryan flipped him a middle finger and Brendon took the distraction to pinch a chocolate chip from an open packet.

“How was your test?” Spencer asked turning around almost catching Brendon.

“The vampires bit me three times in each arm then took about eight tubes of blood.” He lifted the sleeves of his hoodie to show the needle marks. “Kinda feel a little dizzy.”

Ryan ruffled around in the fridge and handed Brendon a bottle of juice. Spencer handed him a cup with a small amount of chocolate chips. He smiled and accepted both.

“Where’s Pete?” Ryan asked, sliding a step closer to the cooked biscuits when Spencer turned back around.

“Got to get more butter and a book for his flight home.”

Ryan waited until Spencer was concentrating on mixing the next batch and swiped two cookies off the bench. He almost dropped them hissing when they started burning his fingers.

“Fuck, they’re hot.”

Spencer snorted but didn’t turn around.

“Really? I swore I cooked them in the freezer.” He deadpanned.

Brendon snickered and tried hiding his smile behind the bottle to juice. Ryan glared at the back of Spencer’s head and scooped both cookies in the bowl of chocolate icing that was on the table in revenge.

Ryan handed one to Brendon and stole another two cookies before fleeing while he had the chance. Brendon sat back and enjoyed his free spoils happily.

*

Brendon hung back out of the way as he watched Jon and Pete pull their suitcases out of the car’s boot. The airport looked quite busy for being late, people and cars zooming past in a rush and Brendon can honestly say that he does not miss that from touring.

It had been raining steadily all day so the whole car park was covered in a layer of water and a lot of puddles. The water affects with all the lights were amazing when you had the time to stop and look. One puddle was so flat and close enough to the main building that the lighting was enough to reflect a perfect mirror image of the world above, including the clouds. Thankfully the puddle was on a walk path so Brendon was able to take a photo from every angle while the others caught up.

Then they all had to wait for Jon to do the same with his fancy SLR camera. By then people around them were getting annoyed with the group hovering in the middle of the walk path taking up space so Spencer quickly herded everyone to the building.

“But I was talking photos.” Jon fake pouted. “Maybe I could have taken one that would make me famous.”

“Brendon took enough for you.” Ryan said, taking Brendon’s phone and started going though the pictures.

“You are famous, sort of.” Brendon shrugged.

Jon smiled and let Pete steer him towards the escaladers. Ryan handed Brendon’s phone back as his own buzzed.

“I set myself copies; the second last one is awesome.” Ryan smiled. “New wallpaper material.”

Brendon grinned and followed the others. They made their way passed the shops and to the arrival-pick up area. Spencer was first to slow down and stop, looking unsure.

“We saying goodbye’s here or?” He asked, then “Oof.” As Ryan walked into him because he wasn’t watching where he was going.

“Sorry.”

“You stood on my foot.”

“Sorry, foot.”

Pete laughed and threw his arm around Jon’s shoulders smiling. Brendon smiled lightly and rocked on his heels.

He still wasn’t all that good saying goodbye at airports, no matter if he was the one leaving or not. This was Jon’s fourth time he flew home since Brendon was diagnosed, most of the trips home where short and Brendon didn’t know when Jon was coming back again, he doubt that Jon knew at this point. He was going to miss Pete too, it was nice to have him around the house, helping out, keeping him occupied or distracted. Also that Brendon wasn’t alone at his house when the others couldn’t be there.

Brendon wasn’t looking forward to lonely nights again, not during the lead up to finding out whether he was cancer free or not.

Jon looked over at him and smiled softy.

“Aw, don’t look so sad, buddy.” Jon grinned. “I’ll be back...soon...ish.”

Brendon chuckled and rocked on his heels again. Jon and Pete shared a look. Brendon knew what was coming and laughed when he was double attack with hugs.

“Hey, I’m sad too!” Ryan exclaimed.

Brendon guessed he was dragged into the hug because Ryan was suddenly behind Brendon, then followed by Spencer.

“Choking, not, breathing.” Brendon gasped trying to sound breathless but the laugher in his voice ruined it.

Someone squeezed hard and whoever it was must have had an arm around Jon because he squawked loudly and that was enough to break up the huge group hug. They all laughed.

“Well I guess I’ll see you next time. I’ll try visit sometime in the next few weeks.” Pete grinned and turned to Brendon. “Keep me updated, yeah?”

“Of course.” Brendon nodded.

Jon ruffled his hair then attacked Spencer’s, Ryan fended off his hand like some ill-tempered kitten.

“Come on plane partner, we better get through security.” Pete picked up his bag and grinned at everyone.

“See ya, guys.” Jon said doing the same.

There was a loud ruckus of goodbyes and I love yous called out until Pete and Jon were out of sight. Brendon, Spencer and Ryan looked at each other.

“So whatcha wanna do?” Ryan smiled.

“I dunno, whatcha wanna do?” Brendon chuckled.

“You two watched Jungle Book the other day didn’t you?” Spencer asked amused.

Both Brendon and Ryan nodded. Spencer rolled his eyes fondly.

“I vote food and video games at my house.”

“I like a man with a plan.” Ryan agreed.

Brendon snorted and tried to keep a straight face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! ^^