You're My Way Home, You're My Backbone.

Making The Most Of It.

“I think your house is being invaded.” Jon said quietly after hearing the front door open.

“Not surprising.” Brendon shrugged one shoulder and continued to stare at the ceiling.

It’s been four days since the doctor’s visit and for Brendon it’s been flat out. If there weren’t people stopping by to see him, he was on the phone, video chatting on the computer or texting someone. All the support has been lovely and truly amazing but exhausting. He hoped it was one of the guys because his sleep-in had already been disturbed and he was rather comfortable lying on his bed chatting to Jon about nothing important.

Soft noises and murmurs came from the kitchen followed by a light thud. Jon sat up on the bed and cleared his throat.

“Get out of my house or I’ll call Zach!” He yelled trying to sound threatening.

Brendon smiled at the ceiling when there was laughter from the kitchen.

“Like Zach would do anything!” Ryan yelled back.

“He’ll call Spencer.” Jon smirked. “Then you’ll be in trouble.”

“Zach didn’t have to call me and he’s already been in trouble today.” Spencer called.

Footsteps came down the hallway and Brendon looked away from the ceiling as Spencer walked into the bedroom.

“Good morning.” Brendon greeted.

“Mornin’.” Spencer smiled.

“What did Ryan do this time?” Jon grinned leaning across the bed in excitement.

“Forgot to pack everything I asked him to do, didn’t go shopping either.”

“You didn’t ask me to do shit!” Ryan yelled from a distance.

Spencer shrugged the comment off and sat down at the end of the bed.

“Ryan and I were thinking about going to the beach for the day, you guys wanna come?” Spencer offered, then looked at Brendon. “Oh, and we’re stealing your cooler bags for the day if that’s fine with you.”

“I’ll come. I want to play beach soccer.” Jon grinned.

Brendon thought about it for a second. He was kinda tired and was planning on a nap that lasted at least three hours but it wasn’t often he went to the beach and a day out would be good, it looked warm out. Noticing the indecision Spencer flashed his best grin and fluttered his eyelashes dramatically. Brendon snorted a laugh.

“Sure, I’m in. Like I can say no to that.”

“Up you get then and make your lunch, you have ten minutes or we’ll leave without you.” Spencer tossed a pillow lightly at Jon’s head and left the room.

Jon army saluted behind his back as Brendon laughed.

*

The car park was empty when both cars pulled up, which Brendon counted as a win. Being that it was a nice day out he had been a little worried his favourite beach would be busy which meant they couldn’t play beach soccer, but now seeing how empty the place was there would be a good chance they could have a bigger playing area than normal. Teams were already sorted; Bren and Jon verses Ryan and Spencer.

Brendon sorta doubt he could play for very long but was willing to last at least one match before he gets to watch the free-for-all as the other three go against each other. If watching just Ryan and Spencer was entertaining then Brendon couldn’t wait to see what it would be like with Jon in the mix. Brendon had saved the directions to the closest hospital from last time and again hoped it wouldn’t be needed.

Grabbing the cooler bag by his feet Brendon hopped out the car and waited by the path for everyone else. He let Spencer and Jon go first and handed off the bag to Ryan with a bright smile edging on mischievous.

“Ok, what are you up to?” Ryan asked, sounding hesitant to actually know.

“You’ll see.” Brendon winked.

Brendon waited until they were a few meters down the path and past the stupid rock before putting his plan into action. He hung back allowing Jon to get further ahead of him and waited until the opportune moment, then ran up behind Jon and leaped onto his back with a yell.

Jon stumbled forward a couple of steps then straightened and wrapped his arms around Brendon’s legs to support the weight, and then continued walking like nothing happened. Brendon grinned and decided not to risk a victory punch in case he put Jon off balance and they end up face first into the sand.

“A bit more of a warning would have been nice.” Jon said unbothered.

“Sorry.”

Ryan walked up besides them and took the camera that was hanging from Jon’s neck.

“Should’ve known that was your plan,” Ryan smiled. “Think I could get Spencer to give me a piggy back ride too?” He asked lowering his voice.

“The day you carry me is the day I carry you.” Spencer said causing Ryan to pout slightly.

“I pushed you in a shopping trolley the other day.” Ryan resorted.

“Doesn’t count, you had wheels to help and we were on a lino floor.”

Ryan huffed and rolled his eyes at Spencer’s back. Brendon patted his shoulder. Ryan fell behind them and few minutes later Brendon heard a click. He turned to look as Ryan took another picture with Jon’s camera. Brendon poked his tongue out and had a picture taken of that too.

When they reached the beach it was deserted. The only person around was someone with a dog so far up the beach he or she was hard to see. Spencer led the group to their favourite spot by one of the low sand dunes and spread the picnic blanket he had been carrying.

“Thanks for the ride.” Brendon squeezed Jon in a way of a hug and let go.

He made himself comfortable on the blanket and started digging around for the sunscreen. It wasn’t hot enough to go swimming but Brendon wasn’t taking the chance of going home the colour of a cooked crab. Ryan joined him in the search after he handed the camera back to Jon.

Brendon looked up and flashed a quick smile as Jon took a photo.

“Just a warning, I’m going to be taking a lot of photos. Most of which will probably have you guys in them.” Jon said as he snapped one of Spencer looking out at the water.

“That warning was ignored years ago.” Spencer pointed out.

“Just make sure you get my good side.” Ryan muttered, then threw his hand up in victory. “Ha! I found the sunscreen.”

Jon snapped another photo.

*

After lunch Brendon decided to wonder off to the water’s edge and dip his toes in. The water was cold at first touch but was easy to adjust to. The sand along the water line was always soft and squishy and one of Brendon’s favourite things was to move around so his feet would sink to ankle deep while feeling like they were being massaged at the same time.

The action was always calming for Brendon. He had been feeling so stressed for so long it still felt weird that he wasn’t anymore, at least not over his health, the band though...that was still a little up in the air. Brendon knew at some point in the next month or so they would have to call a band meeting to work things out, he just didn’t know what he wanted to do yet. Not sure where to start because they can’t exactly continue from where they left off, at a start of a world tour.

He was sort of leaning towards moving onto the next album. He hasn’t have much written in the way of words but had a few musical pieces and melodies he’s started messing around with the last few months when he wasn’t sick that could end up being good songs. But there was still a lot of writing to do.

Brendon frowned out at the water in thought and didn’t notice Spencer coming up behind him until Spencer was walking out mid shin into the water. If Spencer found the water cold he didn’t show it.
“What are you thinking so hard about?” Spencer asked as he shuffled around in the water.

“The band,” Brendon said sounding more thoughtful than anything else. “Where to go next.”

“You just got clear from cancer four days ago, don’t stress about the band yet.” Spencer let out a long suffering sigh. “Bren-“

“I know. I’m just thinking about it, we have to eventually. Just wondering what I want to do band-wise first.”

Spencer nodded in understanding and looked out at the horizon. It was cloudless and the line between the ocean and sky was almost unable to be seen.

“Well, there is no rush. We’ve all agreed on that. Whenever we are all ready, though Dallon suggested waiting a couple of months.” Spencer said. “But we can wait longer if you need it to get your strength back.”

“Have you thought about what you would like to do?” Brendon asked curious.

“Maybe writing first, then depends if we all want to record or go on tour then record. But I think I’d like to work on writing stuff first.” Spencer turned to look at Brendon with a soft smile.

Brendon smiled back. He like that idea. Small steps.

“But as your band mate I am not allowing you to stress over it whatsoever until a decision has to be made in another couple of months and if you do I’ll get Zach onto you.” Spencer mock glared.

Brendon made a scared face and hid behind his hands.

“Oh no, not Zach! Anything but Zach!”

Spencer laughed.

*

Playing beach soccer was a lot harder than Brendon thought it would be. Running through the sand even on the wet shore line took a lot of energy, every step his foot would sink down and a lot of the time one foot would fall lower than the other making his balance suffer and cause him to be an easy target to push and trip over. He wasn’t helping Jon much and gave up trying to get the ball not long into the match. Instead Brendon just used himself to block Spencer and Ryan whenever Jon had the ball and hoped that was enough to help Jon score.

Brendon lost count of who was winning after the fifth goal but had a sinking feeling that Spencer and Ryan were winning by a huge margin. Jon didn’t stop so Brendon didn’t either until Ryan’s phone alarm started beeping signalling half time.

Brendon let himself all but collapse onto the sand on his back and closed his eyes to the sun as he took in gasps of air. He was sure he had reached his limit for today as much as he wanted to keep playing. His leg where he had the operation was becoming sore and tight too.

“You okay there, Bren?” Jon asked sitting on the sand next to him breathing heavily.

He held his hand up in a so-so motion and let it drop back to the sand. Where he was lying was right next to the shore line and Brendon could hear a small wave wash up the beach coming very close to his head. His clothes were becoming damp from the sand.

“I don’t think I can play anymore.” Brendon said breathless. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be, you gave it a go. A couple of weeks ago you were that sick you couldn’t get out of bed.” Jon stated. “Beside I think we’re being flogged, I lost count at eleven to twenty one.”

Brendon gasped out a breathless laugh. Yeah, he thought it would have been something like that.

“Maybe we should have played beach cricket instead.” Brendon said turning his head to squint at Jon.

Jon nodded in agreement. Ryan walked over then and handed Jon a large water bottle.

“Spencer said the winner gets the pack of chocolate cookies.” Ryan said smugly, chin held high.

“Guess you guys get them then, we forfeit.” Jon said between large gulps of water.

Ryan’s grin fell and he looked between Brendon and Jon confused and worried. Spencer walked over to them with a similar expression.

“Why?” Spencer asked. “Someone hurt?”

“Someone’s stuffed.” Brendon said holding his hand up. “I’ve had it. I can’t play anymore.”

He was still a little breathless but getting the air flow under control. A small wave washed high enough up the beach it touched the top of Brendon’s head enough to wet his hair. The cool water felt nice against his heated skin.

A shadow washed over him and Brendon was able to open his eyes properly. Spencer was standing over him with a hand stretched out. Brendon took it and let Spencer pull him to his feet in one swift motion. He wobbled on his feet for a second before he got his balance right.

“Are you alright?” Spencer asked with Ryan hovering over his shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m good. Just tired, time for me to play spectator I think.” Brendon smiled to show he really was fine.

Spencer eyed him for a moment before nodding and walked him over to the picnic blanket. Jon followed and gave Brendon the water bottle. Brendon took a long drink and relaxed back the best he could.

Jon did have a good point, considering he was horribly sick just weeks ago and now was playing a rough, almost rule-less game with the guys is a pretty good improvement, Brendon might be regretting it tomorrow but at the moment he counted it as worthwhile. He lasted longer than he thought he would. Plus it was a beautiful day, why not make the most of it?

Ryan flopped himself down on the blanket next to him and messed around with his phone.

“So, fifteen minute break then free-for-all game?” Ryan suggested. “What are the rules?”

“Fuck the rules.” Spencer smirked.

“Don’t end up in hospital.” Brendon suggested, though he though it should be an obvious one.

“I agree with that one.” Jon agreed.

Brendon stacked up the towels as a makeshift chair and made himself comfortable as the guys talked over the rules. He may be forced onto the side lines but Brendon now has the best front row seat to what is going to be an awesome match. Maybe even better than that time the three of them had a Frisbee competition and ended up braking the bus window.

Brendon carefully lifted Jon’s camera out of its bag and took the lens cap off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those that have commented on and recommended this story lately. It means a lot, thank you so much!

Hope you liked the new chapter and thanks for reading :D