Welcome Back

Chapter 3

"What do you mean, you're passing the book off the James Potter?" Scorpius was rather surprised that she would do anything for James Potter after the incident their first year. Grace shrugged, a little embarrassed.
"Why shouldn't she?" Kelly asked, giving Scorpius a look that Grace didn't understand. Kelly was always giving him that look. The trio sat on the stairs outside the Great Hall before dinner. Scorpius couldn't get into their common room, as he was in the Slytherin House. Still, the Ravenclaws and Slytherins had many classes together.
"Because he doesn't have a good history with library books!" Grace couldn't help but register this as true. Still, it was years ago and perhaps time to move on. Though it would be wrong to say Grace wasn't still a little bitter. She was somewhere in the middle.
"I just hand him off the book and never see him again." Scorpius seemed to be upset over something so pointless, but it was Grace who had told the story like it was something. "I shouldn't have mentioned it. It's not important."
"It could be,” Kelly insisted, using one of her goofy grins. "Phillip and I met when I asked to borrow his notes."
Phillip was the boy who Kelly pledged her heart to, despite having never gone on a date. The week leading up to any Hogsmead Trip, she dressed up. That was why she had been wearing pink lipstick all week and avoiding the Headmistress. Kelly was constantly getting tutted at for her use of makeup. Kelly didn't really need make up, but she insisted on it. She was always trying to force it on Grace as well. Every time Grace would smudge it, so she would end up just clearing it off.
"You asked for the notes because you wanted to get to know him," Grace argued. Kelly just giggled, while Scorpius looked furious.
"I'm going to dinner," Scorpius growled, his nose in the air. He had inherited his father's nose, which was pointed at the end. He had also inherited his father's white-blonde hair, making him also a spitting imagine of his father.
" You aren't going to have dinner with Mortimer and his friends again, are you?" Grace was constantly fighting with Scorpius about his Slytherin friends and their stance on blood status. Scorpius rolled his eyes at Grace, while opening the doors to the Great Halls. "Are we still on for tomorrow?"
Scorpius hesitated for a moment and then signed. "Yes, I'll meet you after last class."
Herbology was Grace's best subject. At home, she had a blooming garden. She spent many hours in the Hogwarts greenhouse, even in the winter. Professor Longbottom encouraged Grace's interest in Herbology, he was allowing Grace to help prepare the second year's mandrakes. Grace was bringing Scorpius along. Scorpius showed much more interest in Defense Against The Dark Arts, but he often came for Grace.
After Scorpius had left, Grace turned to Kelly. "I don't understand why he's so upset."
"Maybe he's just concerned about your library record," Kelly laughed. Grace didn't see the humor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After dinner Grace passed the book off to James and made him swear to return it on time. He seemed so sincere when he told Grace how grateful he was. He showered Grace with praise, causing her to blush. For the next few days, James began to acknowledge Grace much more. If he passed by, he would stop to ask about how Grace was doing. It was sweet, but very casual. Grace figured it would patter off after a few days. But it didn't.