Our Wonderland

Smoking is bad

(Adam's POV)
By the time lunch came around there wasn't a single person who wasn't talking about the new girl. It was to the point where you couldn't even walk down the hallway without hearing her name. I didn't understand what the big deal was. Sure she mouthed off and got dragged down to the principal's office on her first day, but really was that enough to make her a hero or something?
The whole thing was just stupid.
Sitting behind the school'd storage shed I let out another breath of smoke grimacing at the taste. I'm not a big smoker, I only do it when I'm depressed. Just a habit I picked up from my parents I guess.
Closing my eyes I thought back to a few months ago. Back then I wouldn't be hiding back here, I would have been talking with my friends or practicing on the courts. I was the school's star basketball player, the tea relied on me, girls wanted me, and I had more friends then I could count.
Take another drag I let out an annoyed hiss.
That was before everyone found out I was gay.
After that little tidbit of information got out no one wanted to hang around me. I was a freak. Kids started tearing apart my gym clothes, throwing my bag in the trash, and writing stuff on my locker. They all loved me when I was the star of the school, but the moment something changed they all dropped me like a bag of dog s**t.
"Like I care." I muttered taking another drag.
"You know those things will kill ya." A voice said from out of nowhere.
Turning around I came face to face with a delinquent.
"Seriously those things will turn your lungs black and kill ya." She said reaching out and snagging my cigarette.
"Like you're one to talk red. I bet you smoke too and that's why you're out here." I retorted making a grab for it.
"NO way! I only came out here ta eat lunch. I couldn't stand being around those snotty rich kids anymore." She replied crushing it under her foot before sitting down.
I didn't know what to say for a moment. This girl was plain weird. Not only was she wearing the school uniform wrong, (not to mention the fact she looked like a straight up delinquent), but she sounded like a redneck. It was only when I saw her pull out a strawberry shortcake lunchbox that I couldn't take it anymore.
"Who the hell are you?"
"Me, name's Maria. Wanna bite of my sandwich?" She said before shoving half in her mouth and offering me the other half.
Maria.
THE Maria?
"This place is sure weird. Too many rules if ya ask meh. NO cell phones, No computers. It's pretty much a prison. Heck these uniforms suck too." She rambled on shoving the sandwich in my mouth.
"What the hack! I don't want your stupid sandwich!" I yelled spitting out chunks of tuna.
"Why not? You're not eating anything else are ya?" She asked.
I wanted to say something back but I couldn't. For some reason I didn't know what to say. When I didn't speak she shoved her half of the sandwich into my mouth. She stared at me until I started to eat it before picking up the other half off the ground.
"You know that dirty now right?" I asked looking off to the side.
"Five second rule." She replied.
"That's a stupid rule."
"Whatever."
Somehow I ended up sharing her whole lunch. When the bell rang she simply sood up and turned to stare down at me.
"Hand em over." She commanded holding out her hand.
"Hand what over?" I asked confused.
"The smokes what else?"
I was going to refuse. I really was. But this was the first time in months that someone spoke to me without saying something mean. So excuse me if my body chose to ignore my mind and handed them over without a fight.
"I can always buy more you know." I said with a shrug.
"Whatever, I'll just take those too."
With that she dropped the pack to the ground and stomped on them. After that she turned and walked away not even caring if I picked them back up or not. I didn't. Instead I followed after her my mind reeling with everything.